George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Post by Mike »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 pm Money, if the rumour is right and Warrington offered him 100k more a season, then that's a nice million over the next 10 years.

I'd support Wire for that.

Sure if Wigan offered 100k over Warrington's offer, then he wouldn't be bothered about a new challenge.

Sure it suits IL for GW to say it wasn't about the money.
That was originally 100K over a 4 year contract. THings seem to have been inflated since then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Re: George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Post by Dan2266 »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 pm Money, if the rumour is right and Warrington offered him 100k more a season, then that's a nice million over the next 10 years.

I'd support Wire for that.

Sure if Wigan offered 100k over Warrington's offer, then he wouldn't be bothered about a new challenge.

Sure it suits IL for GW to say it wasn't about the money.
It Is nowhere near £100k a year.... It was "six figures" over the length of the contract, but nowhere near £100k a year. (about the 5th time I've said that now)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams refuses to rule out NRL return

George Williams may have left the NRL competition under a cloud, but the halfback has not fully closed the door on a spectacular return.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-w ... urn-40370/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

As a Wigan fan I hope Williams goes the route of Hampshire now and dissappears in relative obscurity.

But I can't argue with him going where there was more money challenge or not.

If I had a choice of two jobs, one that I had already done before, I'd choose the one I hadn't as a challenge unless I had unfinished business.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:39 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm He was stale here at Wigan good luck to the lad I say
What's the difference as a professional player between which top club you play for in SL apart from the coaching set up?

Given you'd hope Wigan will have a new coach for next season and in fact he's never played under Lam if we don't this idea of being stale doesn't wash. He would not be returning to the same club he left. He's going to be a few miles down the road for goodness sake. Maybe the rumours of Wane retuning put him off!

If he'd gone to Les Cats I might understand the new environment idea but he can't do that or he'd be homesick.

If he wanted a "new challenge" on returning to SL he should not have damn well given Wigan first refusal. It's not going for more money that irks most fans I suspect but him breaking his word.
He was stale I said it at the time he looked a different player in Australia that’s for sure and I’m sure Powell will get the most out him too I’m sure.

I really did hope when the news broke I hoped he would be back but then I thought on my part the times I’ve said I’m tired of the club re signing former players,that would be hypocritical of me so I’m glad he’s moving on somewhere else,I suspect Gildart won’t be back either.

And who cares if he’s offered more money,I just don’t care because if someone offered me or you more money you’d be off I know and I suspect you would too so why not Williams?again hypocrisy.

Posters on here and social media need to take a look at themselves on this issue and grow up the days of playing for a satsuma and a drink of orange are over,it’s a business simple as that
If he came back to Wigan he'd have a different coach. The argument he's going to Wire for a different coach therefore doesn't make any sense. He's gone for the money.

I don't think that bothers people much as they recognise it's a short career. What does bother some people including me is, in my opinion, the fact he said he'd come back here, signed an agreement to say he would then right away wants to break his agreement.

I think the other issue here is the integrity of IL and Rads who trumpeted this agreement with the supporters when when he left but then refused to enforce it proving they aren't worth the paper they are written on so why believe a word this pair say as regards players contracts and possible returns to the club? Who are they trying to kid?

They would be far better just saying players can come back if at the time of their return to the UK Wigan have a need of the player. As it stands it looks like if the players wants to come back we sign them regardless and if they don't we don't enforce agreements that say they should. What a ridiculous way to manage a squad.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He signed it to get away from us IMO. And the fact it existed was just window dressing to soften the blow. Seems fairly obvious, and not particularly worth getting outraged over IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:39 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm

What's the difference as a professional player between which top club you play for in SL apart from the coaching set up?

Given you'd hope Wigan will have a new coach for next season and in fact he's never played under Lam if we don't this idea of being stale doesn't wash. He would not be returning to the same club he left. He's going to be a few miles down the road for goodness sake. Maybe the rumours of Wane retuning put him off!

If he'd gone to Les Cats I might understand the new environment idea but he can't do that or he'd be homesick.

If he wanted a "new challenge" on returning to SL he should not have damn well given Wigan first refusal. It's not going for more money that irks most fans I suspect but him breaking his word.
He was stale I said it at the time he looked a different player in Australia that’s for sure and I’m sure Powell will get the most out him too I’m sure.

I really did hope when the news broke I hoped he would be back but then I thought on my part the times I’ve said I’m tired of the club re signing former players,that would be hypocritical of me so I’m glad he’s moving on somewhere else,I suspect Gildart won’t be back either.

And who cares if he’s offered more money,I just don’t care because if someone offered me or you more money you’d be off I know and I suspect you would too so why not Williams?again hypocrisy.

Posters on here and social media need to take a look at themselves on this issue and grow up the days of playing for a satsuma and a drink of orange are over,it’s a business simple as that
If he came back to Wigan he'd have a different coach. The argument he's going to Wire for a different coach therefore doesn't make any sense. He's gone for the money.

I don't think that bothers people much as they recognise it's a short career. What does bother some people including me is, in my opinion, the fact he said he'd come back here, signed an agreement to say he would then right away wants to break his agreement.

I think the other issue here is the integrity of IL and Rads who trumpeted this agreement with the supporters when when he left but then refused to enforce it proving they aren't worth the paper they are written on so why believe a word this pair say as regards players contracts and possible returns to the club? Who are they trying to kid?

They would be far better just saying players can come back if at the time of their return to the UK Wigan have a need of the player. As it stands it looks like if the players wants to come back we sign them regardless and if they don't we don't enforce agreements that say they should. What a ridiculous way to manage a squad.
The end result has no damage to IL or Rads integrity.

So you wanted them to try and force a player who doesn't want to be at wigan to come wigan?

A player who would then rightfully not be happy with the club, not play his best and be gone at the first opportunity.

If we had forced the issue in would put the club in bad light and put off potential future signings.

Now I'm not happy he's not come back but its hardly the clubs fault.

Let's blame Canberra for his home sickness as well they should have made him see out his full contract and not end it early.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

They could have forced him either out of the game, or got compensation to buy him out of the clause from Warrington I suppose. Play hardball a bit?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 pm They could have forced him either out of the game, or got compensation to buy him out of the clause from Warrington I suppose. Play hardball a bit?
And what would that achieve other than to put of potential recruits like Hastings who wanted 1 years terms as he was after a NRL gig?
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The player is now the King.