Andrew Johns on Warrington Wolves signing George Williams

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Andrew Johns on Warrington Wolves signing George Williams

Post by josie andrews »

ANDREW Johns feels Warrington Wolves have made a great move in signing George Williams.

And the Australian Test legend, who had a guest spell with The Wire in 2005, is delighted that GW will be wearing the 31 jersey number that Johns made iconic.

Former half-back Johns got to study Williams' play for Canberra Raiders in the NRL as an expert media summariser and panellist.

"I got a real buzz when I saw George Williams will be wearing the No31 when he plays for Warrington," said Johns.

I loved my time in Warrington and seeing George playing in that jersey will bring back great memories.

"I wish him all the best. I know he is one of the best in the competition."

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... -williams/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Andrew Johns on Warrington Wolves signing George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Isn't "I know he is one of the best in the competition." a little short of a ringing endorsement?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

In all honesty I’d rather have sezer over Williams.
I just think sezer is the kind of player we need, he knows how to control a game and he can kick!
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Would be interested to know if/how they stay under the salary cap…
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:51 am Would be interested to know if/how they stay under the salary cap…
get a highly paid star to retire and work there on a voluntary basis :)

i have to admit that giving Johns legendary status at Wire is laughable. he rocked up for a couple of games on something like £10k per match and the wire fans are all hanging off his words several years later
pedro

Post by pedro »

the pieman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:51 am Would be interested to know if/how they stay under the salary cap…

i have to admit that giving Johns legendary status at Wire is laughable. he rocked up for a couple of games on something like £10k per match and the wire fans are all hanging off his words several years later
we could do that this year by deregistering French
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 am

Don't think you can do that, just because he's injured. He's got a current playing contract and needs to be paid I'd have thought, especially seeing he's renewed it again with the club for next season. So i don't see that as being an option.
And even more when you look at the issues surrounding George Burgess, who had actually retired from playing and the club needed to cancel that contract. And that appeared to be something of a major obstacle.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Don't think you can do that, just because he's injured. He's got a current playing contract and needs to be paid I'd have thought, especially seeing he's renewed it again with the club for next season. So i don't see that as being an option.
And even more when you look at the issues surrounding George Burgess, who had actually retired from playing and the club needed to cancel that contract. And that appeared to be something of a major obstacle.
Wire have done it with Inglis, you can do it now as the cap is live so what gets paid counts
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

pedro wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:34 pm

Wire have done it with Inglis, you can do it now as the cap is live so what gets paid counts
They have, but he has also retired from playing (again). He has probably agreed to a termination where he has forgone his playing salary, so there is no impact on the Wire salary cap, and getting paid as a club employee

i would think deregistering a player because he is injured, whilst still being contracted for next season, would certainly be out of the question. It would open up a massive can of worms as far as i could see and i would also think from an employment law perspective, someone would more than likely have a field day. As Nezza says, it took a long time to resolve the George Burgess contract when it appeared to be known that his playing days were numbered, so cancelling a contract when someone is still fit to play upon return doesnt cut it for me

Its just like me be entitled to sick pay for 12 months in my current job, then i am off sick, so they decide to sack me, but let me come back when i am well enough to return. We cant just deregister a player who gets injured whilst playing a game and not pay them
pedro

Post by pedro »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:17 am
pedro wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:34 pm

They have, but he has also retired from playing (again). He has probably agreed to a termination where he has forgone his playing salary, so there is no impact on the Wire salary cap, and getting paid as a club employee

i would think deregistering a player because he is injured, whilst still being contracted for next season, would certainly be out of the question. It would open up a massive can of worms as far as i could see and i would also think from an employment law perspective, someone would more than likely have a field day. As Nezza says, it took a long time to resolve the George Burgess contract when it appeared to be known that his playing days were numbered, so cancelling a contract when someone is still fit to play upon return doesnt cut it for me

Its just like me be entitled to sick pay for 12 months in my current job, then i am off sick, so they decide to sack me, but let me come back when i am well enough to return. We cant just deregister a player who gets injured whilst playing a game and not pay them
so they have de regsitered him as a player, same difference, the rule sued to be if you play 1 game your entire salary counts towards the cap to stop the johns signings etc, now thats changed as its a live sap so can deregister players and bring in more. Why cant we deregsiter him but keep paying him? If hes not registered he doesnt count towards the cap no matter what his contract is, otherwise all the academy would count towards the cap