Leigh Centurions duo offered to clubs amid Super League relegation battle

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh Centurions duo offered to clubs amid Super League relegation battle

Post by josie andrews »

Several of Leigh Centurions' top players are being offered to rival Super League clubs by their management for next season.

With Leigh still to win a game since returning to the top-flight this season, the prospect of relegation back to the Championship looks increasingly likely.

The likes of Liam Hood have already agreed to sign elsewhere in 2022, and Rugby League Live has learned that more of the Centurions' players are attracting interest.

Utility back Ben Hellewell, who has been one of the club's standout performers so far this season, has been offered to clubs, while half-back Joe Mellor is another who is being monitored by several clubs.

Relegation back to the Championship would likely lead to a significant breakup of Leigh's squad, many of whom are on contracts that expire at the end of this season. Hood is expected to sign for Wakefield Trinity, while Matty Russell is believed to have agreed a deal to sign for Salford Red Devils in 2022.

Hellewell and Mellor could also follow suit and leave the club if interest in the duo turns into an offer from another Super League club.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leigh Centurions duo offered to clubs amid Super League relegation battle

Post by josie andrews »

”We took on a massive challenge, akin to being kept out of the supermarket while 11 clubs did their shopping without us, only to be allowed in after they left and with circa 60 percent of the money” – Leigh owner takes aim at Super League

Leigh owner Derek Beaumont has taken aim at Super League whilst reaffirming his commitment to the Centurions.

Beaumont cited the struggles that his club has faced since they were awarded the final spot in the top-flight.

“We took on a massive challenge, akin to being kept out of the supermarket while 11 clubs did their shopping without us, only to be allowed in after they left and with circa 60 percent of the money,” Beaumont said.

We have lost every game, we have lost board members and it appears the support of some fans.

“We have not and will not lose our will to succeed for this great club.

We have the support of LSV, our key partner and the Wigan Borough Council and most importantly we have the support of our players and staff.

“We are a team and together everyone achieves more.

I would like to thank those fans who remain part of that as you are our inspiration.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/we-took- ... ney-41295/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Two NRL stars on their way to Super League club, owner confirms

Love him or hate him, Leigh owner Derek Beaumont is an incredibly committed individual, with his passion for the Centurions never wavering

And, he had a few words of encouragement for the Leigh faithful in what has been a difficult time.

“I can tell you we are heading in the direction of being a sustainable Super League club. This will not be deviated from whatever the landscape presents,” Beaumont said.

I have a strong candidate for head of rugby to lead our recruitment and youth development for which we still have a strong vision.

“I have a strong general manager to set and drive standards, with an excellent track record in the game. Both cannot be announced at this time.

There will be an announcement today of an addition to the operational board that will speak for itself.”

Beaumont also identified two new recruits from the NRL who will be joining Leigh in the very near future.

There have been two players secured from the NRL that will be announced as soon as it’s appropriate to do so, which I had hoped would have been today.

“There will be more additions as we achieve them, and we are recruiting for next year on the basis that we are a Super League club. We will not place all our hopes on relegation being removed. I do not support that at the expense of promotion and, even if that was the case, which it isn’t, I would still invest and do everything possible to finish above 12th spot.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/two-nrl- ... rms-41283/
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:23 am ”We took on a massive challenge, akin to being kept out of the supermarket while 11 clubs did their shopping without us, only to be allowed in after they left and with circa 60 percent of the money” – Leigh owner takes aim at Super League

Leigh owner Derek Beaumont has taken aim at Super League whilst reaffirming his commitment to the Centurions.

Beaumont cited the struggles that his club has faced since they were awarded the final spot in the top-flight.

“We took on a massive challenge, akin to being kept out of the supermarket while 11 clubs did their shopping without us, only to be allowed in after they left and with circa 60 percent of the money,” Beaumont said.

We have lost every game, we have lost board members and it appears the support of some fans.

“We have not and will not lose our will to succeed for this great club.

We have the support of LSV, our key partner and the Wigan Borough Council and most importantly we have the support of our players and staff.

“We are a team and together everyone achieves more.

I would like to thank those fans who remain part of that as you are our inspiration.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/we-took- ... ney-41295/
he has probably been quite smart with this when i think about it.

60% of the SL money (circa £1.3m) v £150k (being cut down), is still more than what he would receive as a championship side. The downside, is that Covid has dragged on longer than probably anticipated, and therefore decent crowds as LSV havent happened to help make him a few quid back against the full SL pot

we all have our own views on whether they should be in SL or not, but a bit late for him to start griping about it again over half way through the season
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Especially for a chairman that more or less washed his hands of them last time they went down….. ask 99% of leigh fans
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I can see Mellor coming this way.