Tonga's Jason Taumalolo intends to play in the 2021 World Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Tonga's Jason Taumalolo intends to play in the 2021 World Cup

Post by josie andrews »

TONGA stalwart Jason Taumalolo says he intends to play in the 2021 World Cup in England despite the withdrawal of New Zealand and Australia and he expects his team-mates to follow suit.

Speaking via zoom at a North Queensland Cowboys press conference in Townsville on Tuesday, Taumalolo echoed the words of Tonga coach Kristian Woolf, the St Helens boss, who insisted at a time when the tournament hung in the balance that his players were still committed to it.

"It's obviously a tough one given the circumstances that's happened around it and the situation that different countries have been put in," he said. "I myself am still going over to play in the World Cup.

It's obviously disappointing to have Australia and New Zealand pull out but two countries pulling out doesn't really hamper what the game is all about.

"It's about international footy and getting other countries and nations ready to play each other.

"Obviously I can't change anything, I've just got to roll with it I guess."

Taumalolo, who won 10 caps for New Zealand from 2014-17, kick-started the Pacific revolution by switching his allegiance to Tonga in time for the last World Cup, prompting others like David Fifita and Tui Lolohea to follow suit.

The defections helped Tonga beat the Kiwis in the group stages and push England all the way in a tense semi-final in Auckland.

Tonga consolidated a top-four place in the world rankings with subsequent wins over Australia and Great Britain in 2019 and, in the absence of both the Kangaroos and the Kiwis this autumn, will be among the favourites to lift the World Cup.

But, with several high-profile Australians and New Zealanders hinting at switching their allegiance, Taumalolo believes other nations will be capable of springing a surprise.

"It will be competitive," he said. "I'm not sure what the players from Australia and New Zealand are going to do, with guys having heritage aligned to other countries.

"We'll see if they return back to play for their heritage but it would make for a pretty interesting international set of fixtures to be honest.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/19 ... world-cup/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Tonga's Jason Taumalolo intends to play in the 2021 World Cup

Post by morley pie eater »

If my memory is correct, Taumalolo was a leading figure in committing to Tonga rather than Aus in the run-up to the last World Cup?

Whether I'm right or not, him going public like this could have a big effect on other Tongans and Islanders in general.

Hope so!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Re: Tonga's Jason Taumalolo intends to play in the 2021 World Cup

Post by moto748 »

He was, and I think it will.