Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
medlocke

Re: Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:21 pm
Mike wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:05 pm And yet people want to focus on the M62 region and belittle any change that could lead to a more attractive TV interest.
Oh I agree the sport has to spread its wings,London should always be a priority and the midlands,I notice Coventry bears are doing well at the moment but where is the help for them to spread the gospel?
Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Derby, Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Telford, Barcelona, Belgrade, Russia
fozzieskem

Re: Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Post by fozzieskem »

Interesting story in this weeks league express that’s sky have told the clubs they’re not happy with the quality of games on offer this season so get the house in order or they’re off.

Scary times if true
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 am Interesting story in this weeks league express that’s sky have told the clubs they’re not happy with the quality of games on offer this season so get the house in order or they’re off.

Scary times if true
I read somewhere that it’s Sky who have told the RFL that there must be some significant change & that’s why these talks are going ahead. But what’s the point because all the parochial clubs don’t want to move forward for the sake of the game! Much like the NRL & the international game!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 am Interesting story in this weeks league express that’s sky have told the clubs they’re not happy with the quality of games on offer this season so get the house in order or they’re off.

Scary times if true
I wonder if Sky have considered that the quality on display may have suffered, at least in part, because of the number of games being played and consequent injuries on top of Covid.

Now I wonder why we had to play so many games at 4 and 5 days apart. 🤔
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:43 am

Scary times if true
I wonder if Sky have considered that the quality on display may have suffered, at least in part, because of the number of games being played and consequent injuries on top of Covid.

We’ve played 5 games in 20/21 days Morley!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:37 am

Scary times if true

Yes, Josie. My point was that we've crammed so many games in at least partly for Sky. So it's a bit rich for them to say standards have fallen. They shouldn't be surprised since they helped cause it.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Surely some big wig at sky could work out that a reduction in sky money would result in a reduction of quality players and coaches...
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Yes, Josie. My point was that we've crammed so many games in at least partly for Sky. So it's a bit rich for them to say standards have fallen. They shouldn't be surprised since they helped cause it.
Now,now Morley stop talking sense my good man it’s sky we are talking about.

The thing that has irritated me most about this aspect of the story was when you think back to last season and there was no live sport at all but SL put its hand up and went for it,causing this,in my opinion downturn in quality,I know tv contracts had to be fulfilled but the clubs did and then some more only for sky to dump on them from a great height with the new deal.

What I think is happening sky’s new owners don’t want the sport and are looking for a way to leave it without being seen to leave it (if you know what I mean)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:15 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Now,now Morley stop talking sense my good man it’s sky we are talking about.

The thing that has irritated me most about this aspect of the story was when you think back to last season and there was no live sport at all but SL put its hand up and went for it,causing this,in my opinion downturn in quality,I know tv contracts had to be fulfilled but the clubs did and then some more only for sky to dump on them from a great height with the new deal.

What I think is happening sky’s new owners don’t want the sport and are looking for a way to leave it without being seen to leave it (if you know what I mean)
Why?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:15 pm The thing that has irritated me most about this aspect of the story was when you think back to last season and there was no live sport at all but SL put its hand up and went for it,causing this,in my opinion downturn in quality,I know tv contracts had to be fulfilled but the clubs did and then some more only for sky to dump on them from a great height with the new deal.

This is where public service broadcasting should come in i.e. the BBC. I don't know about Sky walking away but expecting to get top quality sport for less money and also making RL pile on the fixtures which can result in poor quality and poor crowds ought to make the RFL and SL start to question if Sky is turning into some sort of abusive partner.

RL being a deep rooted part of the North of England's culture (as well as providing employment and aiding the economy) and with the BBC being a public service broadcaster, the RFL should start to explore the idea of ditching Sky and moving the BBC. The BBC which still pays a fortune for covering other sports and has guaranteed rights to the Challenge Cup has a duty according to its charter to "To reflect, represent and serve the diverse communities of all of the United Kingdom’s nations and regions and, in doing so, support the creative economy across the United Kingdom".

Well I reckon supporting RL as a broadcaster meeting that obligation. Now I am not saying the BBC is going to find £40m a year which was the original Sky deal but if Sky are wanting to pay peanuts there might come a point where it's no longer worth it financially being dictated to by Sky. If Sky walk away as Fozzie suggests then I really would expect the BBC to step in. The game would probably have to revert to being semi-pro if there was next to no money on the table but I am not sure how many people would be surprised at that outcome anyway. The RFL would probably quite like taking the sport back decades if that happened but there you go.