Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:25 am
Mike wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 pm Ignore the NRL. Start referring to them as a different game let them run their game as they always wanted, in their isolated little backwater. Get the north Americans invovled again and go in that direction.
What is your obsession with North America ?

We aren’t even capable of increasing participation and crowds on the m62 corridor.
Easier for me to get to.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Re: Discussions on the future of rugby league held between RFL, Super League and clubs

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:57 am Article in the M.E.N states they want to reduce SL down to 10 teams to increase the competition…..

…..so we’re happy the game is still shrinking then?!?

No wonder we can’t get a decent broadcast deal if we are showing the same few teams again and again!
Sack loop fixtures if they go to 10 teams they need mid season internationals and a orgin style series being played different club stadium to make up revenue.

It would never happen because of the NRL being self-centered but

UK State of origin series, winner plays NRL state of origin winners.

You could make any series/internationals into day events have entertainment on, youth games, a fair. Make it more than just than just the match. Magic weekend at man cities ground was great for this touch rugby and other stuff outside, multiple bars and a big screen so you could watch the match outside if you wanted.

That would also have the knock on effected of only being possible to.the stadiums that meet the actual superleague standards as you need grounds outside to do it.
I absolutely hate loop fixtures.

Play each team twice in the league ajd that’s it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It gets boring playing the same teams over and over again. 10 team league doesn't sound good to me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 am It gets boring playing the same teams over and over again. 10 team league doesn't sound good to me.
Well that’s alright then as I think,depending on who you read it’ll be a 14 team SL :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

English (and French) RL don't produce and retain enough quality players to support a 12-team league, let alone 14.

A move to ten teams would be the right way to go. Lower divisions could still get a cut of the Sky money, and the 10 would have more than they now get. All SL clubs must have accredited academy set-ups.

Follow RU and cricket who have lots of comps and sell TV rights to Sky, BT, BBC. A 10 team league with home and away fixtures plus Magic, gives 19 games.

Make this up to 27 by devising a comp, or poss adapt the Challenge Cup, with mini-leagues involving SL's 10 plus 10 who make it through...
Leigh, Wakey, Halifax, York, Fev, Toulouse, London, Bradford, Widnes, Newcastle, for example.

Four of these (Inc York) are from non-traditional areas which would help our image and justify BBC or other broadcaster showing games nationally.

If Sky want coverage for 30 weeks a year or whatever, have split weeks where half the club's play an SL match for Sky, and half play a cup game for BBC.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm English (and French) RL don't produce and retain enough quality players to support a 12-team league, let alone 14.

A move to ten teams would be the right way to go. Lower divisions could still get a cut of the Sky money, and the 10 would have more than they now get. All SL clubs must have accredited academy set-ups.

Follow RU and cricket who have lots of comps and sell TV rights to Sky, BT, BBC. A 10 team league with home and away fixtures plus Magic, gives 19 games.

Make this up to 27 by devising a comp, or poss adapt the Challenge Cup, with mini-leagues involving SL's 10 plus 10 who make it through...
Leigh, Wakey, Halifax, York, Fev, Toulouse, London, Bradford, Widnes, Newcastle, for example.

Four of these (Inc York) are from non-traditional areas which would help our image and justify BBC or other broadcaster showing games nationally.

If Sky want coverage for 30 weeks a year or whatever, have split weeks where half the club's play an SL match for Sky, and half play a cup game for BBC.
BT simply aren’t interested in RL,neither is channel 4 or Amazon the bbc are getting or at least were supposed to be getting a few SL games as part of the new deal but that went quiet quickly,sky are rapidly loosing interest,it seems to me at least in the sport since their takeover it all look bleak to me.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm English (and French) RL don't produce and retain enough quality players to support a 12-team league, let alone 14.

BT simply aren’t interested in RL,neither is channel 4 or Amazon the bbc are getting or at least were supposed to be getting a few SL games as part of the new deal but that went quiet quickly,sky are rapidly loosing interest,it seems to me at least in the sport since their takeover it all look bleak to me.
How do we know other broadcasters arent interested. I stumbled across a docuseries on Amazon a few weeks ago just by chance.

Virtually every other sport is on show at the minute at the olympics, but why no RL

Cricket is re-inventing itself to gain new spectators. Firstly the 20:20, which has attracted a new audience and now this 100 (or whatever its called). All getting coverage on BBC, C4, C5, Sky etc.

Surely the game can adapt to have the national leagues, an international calendar plus have meaningful 7s or 9s competitions. At international level, i know the Ozzies think the world revolves around them, but there have been fantastic series with NZ previously. If the Ozzies are so intent on doing their own thing, work with the Kiwis and South Sea Islands, i love watching Fiji, Tongan, Samoa etc. Try getting them over on tour and playing against the home nations as something alternative to just the Ozzies
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:39 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm

How do we know other broadcasters arent interested. I stumbled across a docuseries on Amazon a few weeks ago just by chance.

Virtually every other sport is on show at the minute at the olympics, but why no RL

Cricket is re-inventing itself to gain new spectators. Firstly the 20:20, which has attracted a new audience and now this 100 (or whatever its called). All getting coverage on BBC, C4, C5, Sky etc.

Surely the game can adapt to have the national leagues, an international calendar plus have meaningful 7s or 9s competitions. At international level, i know the Ozzies think the world revolves around them, but there have been fantastic series with NZ previously. If the Ozzies are so intent on doing their own thing, work with the Kiwis and South Sea Islands, i love watching Fiji, Tongan, Samoa etc. Try getting them over on tour and playing against the home nations as something alternative to just the Ozzies
The sport has just gone through a tender process with,by all accounts no interest from other broadcasters bar sky and maybe the bbc,they’ve tried it seems to break down the season in to smaller tv sized chunks and still no interest,so it seems we are left with sky,who’ve reduced the tv money for fewer games shown from next season,BT no interest Amazon only interested in sports that appeal to its American audience..

I’m not disagreeing with international rl is the only way other tv companies will touch RL it seems to me and until that happens the sport will remain in the small leagues untouched by bigger broadcasters and becoming stale to sky it is very worrying situation.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

And yet people want to focus on the M62 region and belittle any change that could lead to a more attractive TV interest.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:05 pm And yet people want to focus on the M62 region and belittle any change that could lead to a more attractive TV interest.
Oh I agree the sport has to spread its wings,London should always be a priority and the midlands,I notice Coventry bears are doing well at the moment but where is the help for them to spread the gospel?