Rugby League World Cup decision made as Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal forces postponement

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby League World Cup decision made as Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal forces postponement

Post by josie andrews »

Exclusive: It's understood a decision has been made to postpone the tournament by a year.

The Rugby League World Cup will be postponed by a year and played in 2022, Rugby League Live understands.

Following the withdrawal of Australia and New Zealand, a series of emergency meetings have taken place between organisers and government officials, with a decision now understood to have been reached as key stakeholders are set to be informed.

Chief executive Jon Dutton confirmed last week that there was a '50/50' chance of the tournament taking place as planned and, following further talks over the weekend, a decision is understood to have been reached to delay the tournament which will allow all qualified nations to participate next year in England.

The decision is understood to have been made based on the impact to broadcast revenue along with a series of other logistical and financial reasons. The reluctance from NRL clubs to have their players attend was another factor, despite over 75% of players initially saying they had no concern about participating in a survey conducted by RLWC.

But a joint statement from NRL clubs last week put further pressure on both players and organisers.

“We all want to see a strong, safe and successful Rugby League World Cup,” Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

“It’s clear that cannot be achieved in 2021, but we are in strong support for the tournament to be held in 2022. We want the players to come home healthy."

Dutton confirmed a further player survey would take place over the weekend, which would play a major role in the decision.

Organisers will now have to rearrange all dates with the various venues.

As a result of the decision, it's now likely that there will be calls to extend the Super League season. The competition has had its fixture schedule decimated by Covid-19 cancellations, with a number of games now set to be unplayed.

However, Hull FC owner Adam Pearson has already said the competition should extend the season if the World Cup was called off. Old Trafford, which hosts Super League's Grand Final, was set to stage the World Cup Final on Saturday November 27th, seven weeks after the domestic season was due to finish.

However, there are already concerns that extending the season would only push back further challenges the year after, with another World Cup to consider.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Rugby League World Cup decision made as Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal forces postponement

Post by josie andrews »

They’ll just make another excuse next year!! Selfish & arrogant IMO 🤬🤬
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Rugby League World Cup decision made as Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal forces postponement

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Absolutely the wrong decision imo. Plenty of strong enough teams to make the competition interesting. Massive two fingers up to England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG etc.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I wonder how that effects the government loan as it reads as if some of it was tied to the world cup going ahead
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

While I don’t like the way they went about it it’s a nonsense to hold a World Cup without them,or pick a few sides from the players over here,a devalued tournament simple as that.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

How about a boycott of games involving Aus in RLWC 22? I'd rather watch Cook Islands v Jamaica.

I don't believe in booing anthems, but another alternative would be to strike up "Jerusalem" to drown out "Advance Australia Fair".
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Joke of a sport, No wonder fans are leaving in the thousands
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

This fan has got it right! Hit the NRL clubs where it hurts!
Done. Heartbreaking. But I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Especially since Robbo and Teddy publicly came out in support. Apparently that means little and the club saw fit to attach itself to that ridiculous statement.

Sent to @sydneyroosters membership.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7hS1ZkVEAE ... me=900x900
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 pm While I don’t like the way they went about it it’s a nonsense to hold a World Cup without them,or pick a few sides from the players over here,a devalued tournament simple as that.
This, but I share Josie's concerns that the NRL clubs may well object next year, cos it's in the way of Origin, or some such. And with the football WC going on, it's far from ideal.