Robert Hicks stripped of a game after Leeds-Warrington fixture

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Robert Hicks stripped of a game after Leeds-Warrington fixture

Post by josie andrews »

Robert Hicks will not take charge of any Super League fixture this weekend following last weekend’s game between Leeds and Warrington.

Hicks was criticised for his role as video referee after he allowed a 51st minute Josh Charnley’s ‘try’ after there was no clear evidence that the ball had touched the whitewash.

Of course, most of the debate has centred on the desire to eradicate an official’s on-field decision which led to Hicks eventually award the score.

But, the Rugby Football League (RFL) has acted and Hicks will not officiate this weekend – although he will be the touch judge for St Helens’ crunch clash with Catalans on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/robert-h ... ure-41789/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Robert Hicks stripped of a game after Leeds-Warrington fixture

Post by josie andrews »

Think that’s a bit harsh IMO

If they didn’t have the stupid rule try or no try we wouldn’t have all this crap!

How often does the VR overturn the on field referees decision?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree, the referee going to the VR because he's not certain whether it's a try or not is fair enough. Then when he's unable to make a decision they have him make one! Ludicrous.
The VR should be the one to make the decision and if the ref sends it to him then it stays with him.

I do think Hicks may have had the decision to award Mamo the try v us without going to the VR. The RFL will never admit it but the two incidents may well have had him suspended from the middle.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Totally justified IMO!

I also think both incidents have influenced the judgement here. Both incidents poorly management by a seasoned referee.

Education and training are no bad thing.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

But yet leeds won two grand finals against us and saints with terrible decisions with nothing done……. The blatant maguire knock on and the miles forward pass to smith
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE