Rugby League Dead....

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
pedro

Re: Rugby League 'dead' without new concept

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:04 am
pedro wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:26 am He wasn’t moved on he was out of contract, signed for Catalans and then Wigan offer end him a new one too late, more poor management
Not quite. He wasn't out of contract until Wigan decided not to take up the option they had for 2019. Wigan had an option to keep hold him for 2019 but sought to negotiate a reduction in his wages. They decided the salary they agreed with him when he re-signed was too high. Which was a ridiculous thing to do. He then turned down a new contract offer on reduced wages but as soon as Wigan did not to take up the original option he was a free agent.

If I'd have been in his shoes I'd have told Wigan where to go as well as they had reneged on the contract.
not what he said, he said he wasnt offered a contract as the option was taken up and signed for catalans then wigan came in with a new offer to late, the Wigan offer was more than Catalans offered also, im sure it was on wigan tv
The Yonner

Re: Rugby League Dead....

Post by The Yonner »

Why see the possible return to part-time squads as a negative move?

In my view the game entered a cul-de-sac by selling out to the TV money, and Super League has now run its course.

I call reversing out of a cul-de-sac a progressive move if it's handled the right way.

That is returning to a two division system with approximately 30 clubs which all have realistic dreams of making it to the top of the tree.

The elite players would lose out financially in the short term, of course, but their pain would be balanced by overall gain for the greater mass of players.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We might even get better games and a more interesting transfer market with a semi pro sport. More fatigue gives more opportunities for skill players. There would be more differentiation between player physiques if professional training wasnt possible so more interesting matchups. And the lower division players would be more likely to be able to make a setup to a higher division. At the moment all players come through one of
very few academies and the amateur game loses them as kids. The only other player pool is down under.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Rugby League Dead....

Post by DaveO »

Going back to semi pro would be fraught with problems. What are you going to do? Ban clubs from paying players enough for them to be full time? That would be the ultimate irony with RL banning such payments to players in a similar way to how RU was supposedly amateur.

It would be back to none-jobs being given to players by the owners company and brown envelopes passed under the table.

The solution isn’t going semi pro but the sport finally admitting two things. 1) There isn’t enough money to fund more than about 12 or 14 full time teams and 2) promotion and relegation between a full time league and a semi pro one does not and never has worked. Promotion and relegation needs to end. It works well in Australia with no P&R.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
pedro wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:26 am He wasn’t moved on he was out of contract, signed for Catalans and then Wigan offer end him a new one too late, more poor management
Not quite. He wasn't out of contract until Wigan decided not to take up the option they had for 2019. Wigan had an option to keep hold him for 2019 but sought to negotiate a reduction in his wages. They decided the salary they agreed with him when he re-signed was too high. Which was a ridiculous thing to do. He then turned down a new contract offer on reduced wages but as soon as Wigan did not to take up the original option he was a free agent.

If I'd have been in his shoes I'd have told Wigan where to go as well as they had reneged on the contract.
not what he said, he said he wasnt offered a contract as the option was taken up and signed for catalans then wigan came in with a new offer to late, the Wigan offer was more than Catalans offered also, im sure it was on wigan tv
I looked it up before posting. The club made a statement to the press saying what I posted above, that the wage for the final year option was too high. You can find it if you Google it. They then offered him a four year deal but he decided not to take it as Les Cats had already, against the rules, approached him.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:19 pm Going back to semi pro would be fraught with problems. What are you going to do? Ban clubs from paying players enough for them to be full time? That would be the ultimate irony with RL banning such payments to players in a similar way to how RU was supposedly amateur.

It would be back to none-jobs being given to players by the owners company and brown envelopes passed under the table.

The solution isn’t going semi pro but the sport finally admitting two things. 1) There isn’t enough money to fund more than about 12 or 14 full time teams and 2) promotion and relegation between a full time league and a semi pro one does not and never has worked. Promotion and relegation needs to end. It works well in Australia with no P&R.
I agree on the P+R whoever though putting a club in finical difficulty and making all there players contracts void of they go down is a good idea needs be held to account.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:23 pm
pedro wrote:

I looked it up before posting. The club made a statement to the press saying what I posted above, that the wage for the final year option was too high. You can find it if you Google it. They then offered him a four year deal but he decided not to take it as Les Cats had already, against the rules, approached him.
I watched a video of say actually saying what happened from his mouth
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:23 pm
pedro wrote: not what he said, he said he wasnt offered a contract as the option was taken up and signed for catalans then wigan came in with a new offer to late, the Wigan offer was more than Catalans offered also, im sure it was on wigan tv
I watched a video of say actually saying what happened from his mouth
Then the direct quotes from IL and Rads are as I said, someone is telling porkies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pedro

Post by pedro »

the way the club is going id say the latter
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Confusing thread: is it about RL or Tomkins?

Others get locked for going off topic ... just saying.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐