George Williams calls for Eddie Hearn

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: George Williams calls for Eddie Hearn

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:11 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:36 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:12 am I don't think we have anything to lose, although very different in many ways, what the Hearn's have done for Boxing, Darts and Snooker is remarkable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darts gets more/close to the number of Sky viewers as some Rugby League games.

My only concern would be him having no experience of Rugby League in terms of being a fan. He doesn't know what the atmosphere used to be like, quality of play, quality of teams etc.

What he would focus on is attendances, viewing figures and sponsorship which we know are a problem. But could he help address low participation at amateur level / school etc?
I think thats a fair point but i would argue if you increase tv audiences you probably see that correlates to attendances too. I have often watched a bit of darts on tv despite not being a fan and thought - that looks like a good night i fancy going - so i think the 2 premises arent mutually exclusive.

in terms of the grass roots stuff yea i think that is questionable although if you look at what he is doing in boxing with things like fight camp and bringing new talent through he certainly understands the need for the next wave to always be there
Good post, fully agree!

All of the darts major competitions sell out year after year throughout the UK now.

My only worry is the drinking aspect associated to it which isn't going to be the case in Rugby League. That being said neither is Boxing so...
I think the biggest hurdle for him would be the return on investment - he'd have to find a way of making money from it. Boxing is an easy sell i think there is and always will be money in that, darts and snooker are passionate small fan base's and a small (in comparison to RL) cost outlay - single venue occasions etc.

One things for sure thats the type of thing we should be looking at not inward to small minded penny pinchers
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:12 am I don't think we have anything to lose, although very different in many ways, what the Hearn's have done for Boxing, Darts and Snooker is remarkable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darts gets more/close to the number of Sky viewers as some Rugby League games.

My only concern would be him having no experience of Rugby League in terms of being a fan. He doesn't know what the atmosphere used to be like, quality of play, quality of teams etc.

What he would focus on is attendances, viewing figures and sponsorship which we know are a problem. But could he help address low participation at amateur level / school etc?
I think thats a fair point but i would argue if you increase tv audiences you probably see that correlates to attendances too. I have often watched a bit of darts on tv despite not being a fan and thought - that looks like a good night i fancy going - so i think the 2 premises arent mutually exclusive.

in terms of the grass roots stuff yea i think that is questionable although if you look at what he is doing in boxing with things like fight camp and bringing new talent through he certainly understands the need for the next wave to always be there
Good post, fully agree!

All of the darts major competitions sell out year after year throughout the UK now.

My only worry is the drinking aspect associated to it which isn't going to be the case in Rugby League. That being said neither is Boxing so...
i was going to post something similar about the drinking aspect with darts, but then got to snooker and thought that was something completely different (pretty much no noise, i would assume no eating / drinking allowed whilst in the arena?) . With boxing however, you do have quite a big drinking / football like following with some boxers i.e. big city rivalries and it has been known that quite a bit of trouble follows it round. You may not see that with some of the big headline fights as they are high profile, but there have been quite a few events that i believe there has been trouble
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The trouble is that the Hearns basically run darts and snooker with no international bodies (as in World Cup etc) to deal with,again they would want absolute control over the game,I’d assume world wide (given the big money down under).

I’ll say again they’re brilliant for the solo sports,they are no argument from me on that score but this is a sport where they simply wouldn’t have total control because total control brings the money in and that’s why they’ll never go for the sport.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Good post, fully agree!

i was going to post something similar about the drinking aspect with darts, but then got to snooker and thought that was something completely different (pretty much no noise, i would assume no eating / drinking allowed whilst in the arena?) . With boxing however, you do have quite a big drinking / football like following with some boxers i.e. big city rivalries and it has been known that quite a bit of trouble follows it round. You may not see that with some of the big headline fights as they are high profile, but there have been quite a few events that i believe there has been trouble
What I meant by drinking is people to go for the drinking aspect more than to watch the darts (I know as I have done it myself with people who don't like Darts but love the event at Ally Pally each year).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:35 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Good post, fully agree!

What I meant by drinking is people to go for the drinking aspect more than to watch the darts (I know as I have done it myself with people who don't like Darts but love the event at Ally Pally each year).
sort of got it but missed the point too :) with my response, but i think we are both alluding to the same thing

i have done it with cricket at both 5 day tests and 1 dayers. i go to watch, but it is a always planned as a session / for the atmosphere
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

People do realise this is a complete none story with nothing in it, right?

Williams posted that he thought because Hearn mentioned Headingly with reference to a boxing match he was getting involved in RL. This was just wishful thinking on Williams part but the article then sensationalises it by suggesting Williams is calling for him to get involved. There is absolutely nothing in it and it’s just another example of poor journalism making up a sensational headline and story based on nothing.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hearn wouldn't have a motivation to take over the game unless his organization can profit from the games attendences and TV revenue improving. The whole game would need a restructure for that to happen.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 am People do realise this is a complete none story with nothing in it, right?

Williams posted that he thought because Hearn mentioned Headingly with reference to a boxing match he was getting involved in RL. This was just wishful thinking on Williams part but the article then sensationalises it by suggesting Williams is calling for him to get involved. There is absolutely nothing in it and it’s just another example of poor journalism making up a sensational headline and story based on nothing.
Of course that’s the case but I was just wondering why people think Hearn can add any value to the sport and nothing I’ve seen in the discussion has made me change my mind tbh.

Plus it made a difference to the “Wigan are crap” debates