Wigan Warriors stars feature in Keith Mason's rugby league comic

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors stars feature in Keith Mason's rugby league comic

Post by josie andrews »

Move over Ironman! There is a new comic hero in town – and he’s a rugby league star.

Former player Keith Mason has recently launched a new comic, Rugby Blood.

As well as a fictional lead character – a rugby league player who doubles as a secret agent – it features current Super League and NRL players including Warriors’ John Bateman, Zak Hardaker and Oliver Gildart.

Mason, whose son is in the Wigan youth system, said: “Rugby Blood was initially an idea for a film, and I still think there’s potential to make it into an anime and possibly a movie.

There’s never really been a comic book in rugby league before – certainly not like this – and the art work is phenomenal.

“I reached out to the players and 99.9 per cent said I could use their likeness and their names, and so far the reception has been really good.”

The comic is available online on a monthly subscription basis, costing from £9.99 for the basic package – which gives users five art pages a month – up to £65 for the platinum package, which includes branded clothing and collectable trading cards. See the website hereMason played for Wakefield, Melbourne, St Helens, Huddersfield and Castleford during his 14-year career. While at the Giants, he crossed paths with Hollywood legend Mickey Rourke in London which later led to a part in movie, Skin Traffik.

“The acting side gave me a vision for after rugby,” said the 39-year-old, who went on to feature in TV shows including Peaky Blinders, Bulletproof and Cold Feet.

He produced and stars in upcoming movie Imperative, a crime thriller which will premier this autumn.

And while the Yorkshireman never played for Wigan during his long career he has ties to the club – his son Lukas, 15, is a back-rower in the club’s scholarship programme.

“He’s a credit to himself,” said Mason.

He had a few clubs interested in him but he really wanted to go to Wigan, we drive over for training and they’ve been great with him.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ic-3362435
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan