Reduced Sky money

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Reduced Sky money

Post by nathan_rugby »

Does anyone know why Sky have reduced the money to Rugby League other than reading between the lines that they don’t see it worth the investment / know we don’t have anywhere else to go?

Reading the following article, it says viewing figures are up 10% on 2020 (Covid?) and 25% on 2017.

So why the reduction in money?

https://www.skysports.com/share/12395741

The article touches on how over the magic weekend live stats are going to be used for the first time ever on Sky sports (not just in rugby league).

Why are they doing this if they are not interested in Rugby League?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Re: Reduced Sky money

Post by pedro »

because the owners bend over all the time for them, Koukash warned them and they laughed at him, I do like the idea of streaming other games though and maybe in the future creating more money streams, they should offer them to amazon for free and see if they take on sky the next time the deal is up for renewal, Id gladly cancel sky sports then
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:15 am because the owners bend over all the time for them, Koukash warned them and they laughed at him, I do like the idea of streaming other games though and maybe in the future creating more money streams, they should offer them to amazon for free and see if they take on sky the next time the deal is up for renewal, Id gladly cancel sky sports then
I don’t think that would be possible in the current contract as it would de value the Sky deal / offering.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Radlinski said they were looking at it didn’t he? (Not Amazon but streaming games)
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I feel it’s to do with the sky sale they aren’t Australian anymore and it’s beginning to show they seem to be showing less sport to me at least but filling it with what they have at RL expense.

Amazon isn’t interested and it seems to never will be same as BT and if sky are losing interest,and they do seem to be in the sport streaming is the only option left.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:Does anyone know why Sky have reduced the money to Rugby League other than reading between the lines that they don’t see it worth the investment / know we don’t have anywhere else to go?

Reading the following article, it says viewing figures are up 10% on 2020 (Covid?) and 25% on 2017.

So why the reduction in money?

https://www.skysports.com/share/12395741

The article touches on how over the magic weekend live stats are going to be used for the first time ever on Sky sports (not just in rugby league).

Why are they doing this if they are not interested in Rugby League?
Why the reduction in money? I’d say purely a commercial decision in that they don’t need to pay any more for it. Same product, £16m cheaper. Why pay more when you don’t have to?

It’s going to be false economy though if clubs start going bust and/or the standard continues to drop as RL in the U.K. can no longer attract the best athletes and the top players.

Sky could if they wanted help RL in the U.K. be as good as it is in Australia but they obviously aren’t interested in doing that.

The original decision not to put the game out to tender and accept Sky’s £40m, which IL was dead against, was utterly stupid and has left them able to dictate what they will pay.

I doubt the RFL or SL is capable of doing it but they need to working on alternatives now so next time when Sky want to pay £24m or less they can walk away.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I was led to believe it was falling viewing figures. Eyeballs equals money as far as media companies are concerned. Nothing nefarious, just that basic fact. However if the figures overall don't stack up then something else must be going on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

They are showing less games and SL can look to having more games on terrestrial TV or on other channels. Rads did mention in his blog that clubs will be able to stream their own games generating income from them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:28 am They are showing less games and SL can look to having more games on terrestrial TV or on other channels. Rads did mention in his blog that clubs will be able to stream their own games generating income from them.
Wasn’t there some nonsense that the BBC had been given a few SL games from next season when push came to shove even they don’t want the sport.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:28 am They are showing less games and SL can look to having more games on terrestrial TV or on other channels. Rads did mention in his blog that clubs will be able to stream their own games generating income from them.
Why hasn’t it happened yet?

How far into the current deal are we?