London Broncos

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Jonh

Re: London Broncos

Post by Jonh »

Yes, definitely a good decision to give up on London. It’s not like the area produces and good SL standard players or the junior section community clubs are amongst the strongest in the country with numbers on the rise unlike most community clubs in the North.

Waste of time….
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Jonh wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:34 pm Yes, definitely a good decision to give up on London. It’s not like the area produces and good SL standard players or the junior section community clubs are amongst the strongest in the country with numbers on the rise unlike most community clubs in the North.

Waste of time….
Rugby league is thriving at amateur level in London and has been for the last 30 years.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jaws1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 am
Jonh wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:34 pm Yes, definitely a good decision to give up on London. It’s not like the area produces and good SL standard players or the junior section community clubs are amongst the strongest in the country with numbers on the rise unlike most community clubs in the North.

Waste of time….
Rugby league is thriving at amateur level in London and has been for the last 30 years.
I believe that both the amateur and in schools is thriving in London

I bet the issue is that the RFL doesnt know what to do with it and / or as soon as players are developed RU comes sniffing with the money

i know opinion is quite split on London, but we really do need to stick with it or any media exposure we do get will diminish faster than it already is
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

the pieman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:22 am
jaws1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 am

Waste of time….

I bet the issue is that the RFL doesnt know what to do with it and / or as soon as players are developed RU comes sniffing with the money

i know opinion is quite split on London, but we really do need to stick with it or any media exposure we do get will diminish faster than it already is

Apologies if the sarcastic tone of my post missed the mark.

Giving up on London means turning our back on what is a thriving community games and the loss of players like Toby Clubb Dan Sarginson, KPP all of who have or are becoming a credit to Wigan.

Plenty of others playing in SL too.

In a game that is on its rear generally calls to turn your back and walking away from the biggest market in the country shows how deluded some fans of this game are.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Jonh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 am
jaws1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 am Rugby league is thriving at amateur level in London and has been for the last 30 years.

Giving up on London means turning our back on what is a thriving community games and the loss of players like Toby Clubb Dan Sarginson, KPP all of who have or are becoming a credit to Wigan.

In a game that is on its rear generally calls to turn your back and walking away from the biggest market in the country shows how deluded some fans of this game are.
its alreet i got it :) and think we are both singing from the same hymnn sheet

i know many will argue we have been doing this for years and it hasnt worked, but it cant just be a single professional team to make it work, you need the grass roots and build from there which is definately happening
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 am Read somewhere (but can’t find it) they’re talking about going part time in 2022!

Has anyone else heard anything?
No but it wont be that long before many other clubs go part time.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Jonh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 am
jaws1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41 am Rugby league is thriving at amateur level in London and has been for the last 30 years.

I think the sarcasm was clear, though it's always dodgy in print!

Agree totally re London - they're proof that planting a team in "foreign" territory and expecting them to rise to the top and generate a fan base is a forlorn hope. However, they've been a success in putting down roots at junior and amateur levels.

As I understand it, their decision to go semi-pro recognises the above, and sets their focus on ground-up development. If they end up as a Batley-type club (solid community base, but recognise they're not capable of surviving at SL level), then that would be success imo.

Top-of-my-head list:
Clubb Sarge LMS Griffin (x2) Kai Pearce-Paul...I'm sure there are more.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The size of RL’s playing pool is small as it is, we need London to continue raising good juniors. It may benefit them if a fee was paid for each player that joins a SL club.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If there's no local top level club for juniors to aspire to, that will reduce the growth of the grassroots game in London IMO. This is bad across the board.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

London should have been protected at SL to encourage their growth at grass root level can’t help but feel it’s game over down there now