How the 2021 Betfred Super League play-offs will work

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

How the 2021 Betfred Super League play-offs will work

Post by josie andrews »

After a scintillating weekend of fixtures in the penultimate round of Super League, the top four has now been confirmed. Catalans lifted the League Leaders’ Shield on Saturday, St Helens’ win over Leeds saw them wrap up second consigning Warrington to third whilst Wigan’s win at Hull saw them nail down a place in the top four.

There are still two play-off spots available however and they’ll be decided on Thursday and Friday night. First Castleford have the chance to seal their place in the finals with a win against Warrington before Leeds and Hull KR do battle in what could be a do or die encounter at Headingley with the final play-off place up for grabs.

But what happens after all that? What happens when the six teams are confirmed and we head into the much-anticipated play-offs?

In the first week of the finals, the top two – Catalans and St Helens – will get the week off. This means that their fans can sit, relax and enjoy the rugby as the other four teams do battle.

On Thursday 23rd September, Warrington will host whoever finishes sixth on the league ladder which could be any of the three sides vying for the final two places in the play-offs. Then on Friday, Wigan will host the team in fifth in a similar encounter. The losers will crash out of the race to Old Trafford whilst the winners will move into the semi-finals.

Catalans will then be given the easiest route to the Grand Final as they take on the lowest ranked winners from the previous week at home on Thursday 30th September. It’s as simple as the winners book their place at Old Trafford and that’s true of Friday’s game as well when the second-place Champions St Helens take on the highest ranked winners from the week before meaning they’re likely to meet the third placed Warrington Wolves.

Then the two semi-final winners meet in the Grand Final at Old Trafford on October 9th in what could be the most anticipated Grand Final for many a year.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/how-the- ... ork-43127/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Re: How the 2021 Betfred Super League play-offs will work

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think I prefer the format where:
  • 1st plays 2nd, winner goes through to Final, loser gets another chance
    In order to get to win Grand Final you have to beat every team that is above you in the league
That being said, if we we were to win it we would have to beat both Catalans and St Helens OR the teams that have beaten them.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Re: How the 2021 Betfred Super League play-offs will work

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am I think I prefer the format where:
  • 1st plays 2nd, winner goes through to Final, loser gets another chance
    In order to get to win Grand Final you have to beat every team that is above you in the league
That being said, if we we were to win it we would have to beat both Catalans and St Helens OR the teams that have beaten them.
I too prefer 1st plays 2nd 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan