Garry Schofield could take legal action against rugby league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Garry Schofield could take legal action against rugby league

Post by josie andrews »

Garry Schofield has revealed that he could be taking legal action due to being blind behind one eye – if that problem is linked to his prolific rugby league career.

Schofield – now 56 – conducted a long interview with the Yorkshire Evening Post detailing his blindness for the past two years and the subsequent operation he will be having.

The playmaker spent nine years at Headingley as a player, becoming one of Leeds’ greatest-ever players after making a £155,000 move from Hull FC.

“It started – believe it or not – on Friday, December 13 in 2019,” Schofield revealed.

The next day, I got like a deep fog in my eye and about half an hour after that I got red bubbles in my eye and I went blind, I couldn’t see.”

Schofield has had a total of seven operations and three laser treatments, with the problem seemingly getting worse.

I’ve also been having massive issues with eye pressure,” Schofield added.

Your eye pressure should be between five and 21.

Unfortunately for me, I have had the highest eye pressure St James’s has ever known – my eye pressure has been up to 82.

“They’ve said to me I should be on the ground, with pain in my head.

At times it wasn’t so bad, but at others it felt as though my eye wanted to pop out, my head was pounding and it felt like my head was going to explode.”

Schofield could be willing to take legal action if the problem is related to rugby.

“If it is, it will be put in the hands of my lawyers because it is a life-changing situation,” he said.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/garry-sc ... gue-43456/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Garry Schofield could take legal action against rugby league

Post by Caboosegg »

I am sorry, I really do feel for player who suffer due to the sport.

But it's the job you chose to do and is made as safe as possible following the best research available at the time.

It's all becoming to American for me, claim for everything.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:58 pm I am sorry, I really do feel for player who suffer due to the sport.

But it's the job you chose to do and is made as safe as possible following the best research available at the time.

It's all becoming to American for me, claim for everything.
That’s exactly what I thought! It’s a claim society now. How long has he been out of the game & how can he say it’s because of rugby league?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

My Leeds-supporting husband says Garry's always loved the cash.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Any compo would be a boost for BetFred
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

he would need to have pretty concrete medical evidence that RL caused the problem for it to stand up IMO

there are clearly cases in other sports how including fotball, where they are investigating the effects of constant heading of a football for example, especially the old style leather ones, and links to dementia. With this there is a potentially clear link, unless it could be proven that player X hadnt headed the ball on a regular basis.

GS would need to be able to argue / prove that either the constant tackling / repetitive high shots or similar are the cause of his issue. It could be that like many other people, he hasnt got perfect eye sight and needs to wear glasses / contacts / laser surgery. The RFL if it got to this stage, would probably take a look at his medical records i.e. when was he prescribed glasses, and could therefore argue that he was visually impaired and no impact from playing the game

hope it doesnt get to this, as it could open the doors for many more cases, probably some more appropriate, especially if a player has suffered a career ending injury
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Prediction: it'll get nowhere.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Any sport which has physical contact and can be linked to dementia will end up having to pay I suspect and pay heavily too
doc

Post by doc »

GS does wear glasses. Symptoms sound like glaucoma which can develop in anyone. My boss found he had it during our routine company eye tests at work and had to have an op. He was lucky it was caught early but still lost 50% vision in one eye. He knew his eyes were getting worse but thought it was old age.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Garry Schofield in hospital for major operation

Former Leeds Rhinos and Hull FC legend Garry Schofield has been admitted to hospital today for an operation, according to one of his lifelong friends.

The ex-Great Britain international is set to have his left eye removed after suffering a detached retina which has failed to heal.

Schofield has had a total of seven operations and three laser treatments, with the problem seemingly getting worse.

“I’ve also been having massive issues with eye pressure,” Schofield told the Yorkshire Evening Post previously.

Your eye pressure should be between five and 21.

“Unfortunately for me, I have had the highest eye pressure St James’s has ever known – my eye pressure has been up to 82.

“They’ve said to me I should be on the ground, with pain in my head.

“At times it wasn’t so bad, but at others it felt as though my eye wanted to pop out, my head was pounding and it felt like my head was going to explode.”

Let’s hope the rugby league community get together and support Schofield through this.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/garry-sc ... ion-43700/