Sam Tomkins named Man of Steel

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sam Tomkins named Man of Steel

Post by josie andrews »

Catalans Dragons’ Full Back, Sam Tomkins has been named the 2021 Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel.

Tomkins, who was also named in the Betfred Super League Dream, fought off strong competition from the four other contenders; Jordan Abdull (Hull KR), Jake Connor (Hull FC), Jonny Lomax (St Helens) and Gareth Widdop (Warrington Wolves) to be crowned the Man of Steel for the second time in his career. The first time coming in 2012.

This weekend, Tomkins and his Dragons teammates will head to Old Trafford to face St Helens with the hope of capping off a fantastic season by winning the Betfred Super League Grand Final for the first time in the clubs history (Saturday 9 October, 6pm KO)

On claiming the Man of Steel Award, Sam Tomkins said: “It is a huge honour to receive the Man of Steel Award. It comes off the back of some great team performances, and I feel lucky to be playing in a great team at Catalans.”

On winning the award for a second time, Tomkins added: “It was a long time ago when I won it for the first time. Someone showed me some pictures from the time, I was just a young kid enjoying playing rugby.

“I’m at a very different stage of my life now. It means a little bit more to me as I know I’ve not got another 10 years of playing the sport.”

Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel Chairman Ellery Hanley MBE said: “Sometimes in your life you have to tip your hat and give full praise and credit to an individual.

Sam Tomkins has been head and shoulders above everyone in the Steve Prescott Man of Steel points this season.

Watching his performances this season, he has established himself not only as a marvellous rugby league player, but a fabulous leader of men.

He has illustrated all season the values and qualities you want all your players to demonstrate in every game they participate in.

Look deeper into Sam’s game and you will see what he has done to the rest of his team individually and collectively, in bringing the best out of the Catalans Dragons squad.

Sam has had a brilliant, majestic and a wonderful season in all facets of the game.”

The full list of award winners for the 2021 Betfred Super League season are as follows:

Top Tackler – Joe Shorrocks (Wigan Warriors)

Top Try Scorer – Ken Sio (Salford Red Devils)

The Loch Lomond Spirit of Super League Award – Kevin Sinfield OBE

(Awarded to those who make a significant contribution to the sport beyond the field of play)

Young Player of the Year – Jack Welsby (St Helens)

Coach of the Year – Steve McNamara (Catalans Dragons)

Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel – Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons)

Woman of Steel – Jodie Cunningham (St Helens)

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/2 ... n-of-steel
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Sam Tomkins named Man of Steel

Post by fozzieskem »

And quite right too
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exactly. I hope he is fit for the GF otherwise it is curtains for Catalans.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 pm Exactly. I hope he is fit for the GF otherwise it is curtains for Catalans.
I think even if he’s fit it’s a huge ask for Catalan,fingers crossed for them though
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 pm Exactly. I hope he is fit for the GF otherwise it is curtains for Catalans.
I think even if he’s fit it’s a huge ask for Catalan,fingers crossed for them though
No doubt about it but without him I don't think there is any chance. What really grates is that Sam should still be playing for us.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Congrats Sam!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:33 am
No doubt about it but without him I don't think there is any chance. What really grates is that Sam should still be playing for us.
Exactly if IL had give him what he wanted I'm sure he'd have stayed but no try to do this gs on the cheap
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Fully deserved had a great season!

Sadly, I think the Hull KR game was Catalans final victory if 2021!

Unfortunately, I think it will go one of two ways, Stains win via a steam roll scoreline or with a respectable score like the 2019 GF.

Really hope Cats pull it off!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:33 am

Exactly if IL had give him what he wanted I'm sure he'd have stayed but no try to do this gs on the cheap
At the time he had been injured for nearly 2 years and was not worth his wage. Hindsight agrees we should have kept the term but at the time it would have been like offering lockers a marquee.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:33 am

At the time he had been injured for nearly 2 years and was not worth his wage. Hindsight agrees we should have kept the term but at the time it would have been like offering lockers a marquee.
But that the thing isn’t it,Wigan had nursed him through those years just as he found the form we all hoped was still there,business wise of course it made sense but that was a terrible decision by Lenegan no amount of spin can hide that Wigan let super leagues one home grown superstar walk away