The Pink city

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: The Pink city

Post by Mike »

the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:28 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm

to be honest i couldnt tell you the last time i watched a game on sky, and i am talking seasons, not weeks

the general point still stands though. The premier league has made a significant investment for both fans attending games and TV audiences around the world. Are you saying that the RFL & Sky has done the same. Sky / PL approached Oracle to do the football as they know that subscriptions will fall over coming years if they did nothing about it
So you’re making a point about games on TV despite not actually watching one for years?
yes, cos i just need to come on here and read what all the armchair pundits say about sky. No-one has a good word for sky, so dont think i really need to look much further :)

and i still stand by the point i am making. We all know that the RFL are years behind the ball with most things, and are you seriously saying that the RFL / SKY are making that much of a difference with their coverage?
Putting aside peoples dislike of the pundits/commentators, it seems fine to me technology-wise.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:28 pm

So you’re making a point about games on TV despite not actually watching one for years?
yes, cos i just need to come on here and read what all the armchair pundits say about sky. No-one has a good word for sky, so dont think i really need to look much further :)

and i still stand by the point i am making. We all know that the RFL are years behind the ball with most things, and are you seriously saying that the RFL / SKY are making that much of a difference with their coverage?
Putting aside peoples dislike of the pundits/commentators, it seems fine to me technology-wise.
thats fair enough, and as i've pointed out it makes no difference to me as i wont pay for sky, hence dont watch games on there, but i would have a guess that the RL coverage is nothing like the PL coverage based on the money floating around the respective games and target audiences

from a technology perspective i was lucky enough to see what Oracle are doing for the premier league, and get to understand the bigger impacts i.e live betting / player performance stat etc, but its not something that would attract me to watch the game as i dont fall into the Generation Z as they were classed, who dont have any attention span (certainly not for an 80 min rugby game or 90 min football match). It is very much tailored for a target audience who are constantly on their mobile device(s)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good luck to Toulouse.

The aim should be a French TV deal, either to supplement Sky diminishing returns, or to let the two French teams have the income and share Sky's money between the 8 remaining teams (from 2023).

As to the question "What about Salford, Wakey, Huddersfield etc?"....if we run SL on the basis of what suits the teams who survive by signing rejects from Wigan, Saints, Leeds and rely on away fans to boost their gates, the next Sky deal won't just be even lower, it won't happen.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

DaveO wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:14 pm I always liked Hansen and was surprised Wigan let him go. He was about a season short of a testimonial if I recall correctly.
H left to go to Salford as he always had ambitions to do so to follow in his dads (Shane) footsteps . When the "Good Doctor" offered him silly money which outwieghed the benefits of a testimonial he jumped at the chance.
2002 and EW is hooked
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:Good luck to Toulouse.

The aim should be a French TV deal, either to supplement Sky diminishing returns, or to let the two French teams have the income and share Sky's money between the 8 remaining teams (from 2023).

As to the question "What about Salford, Wakey, Huddersfield etc?"....if we run SL on the basis of what suits the teams who survive by signing rejects from Wigan, Saints, Leeds and rely on away fans to boost their gates, the next Sky deal won't just be even lower, it won't happen.
The Salford, Wakey Hudds question is more to do with if they go bust do we even have a sport?

It’s not as if any of the championship sides have shown they are capable of being any better on the financial side of it or could attract big home crowds to make up lack of away fans so you couldn’t just replace these teams overnight.

The point I was driving at was there seems to have been zero planning by the RFL to consider the financial consequences for other teams with Toulouse being promoted. It’s no use saying, well that’s their fault as that ignores the reality. Hethrington is just being his typically arrogant self with his “I’m alright jack attitude” in my opinion.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I just watched the highlights. It's a rare bright spark in an otherwise depressing period for the sport. So I'm very much glass half-full on this.

And wot morley said.