Catalans Dragons' Bernard Guasch wants Australian refs for finals

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalans Dragons' Bernard Guasch wants Australian refs for finals

Post by josie andrews »

CATALANS Dragons president Bernard Guasch says he will never again allow his team to play a final under English referees after condemning the officiating at Saturday night's Super League Grand Final.

Guasch says he was incensed by the decisions of referee Liam Moore and the rest of his officials during the Dragons' 12-10 defeat by St Helens in their inaugural Grand Final at Old Trafford.

In an interview with the Perpignan-based L'Independent newspaper, Guasch says he endured a sleepless night after watching the match again and viewing incidents he claimed changed the course of the game.

Guasch says he was particularly angered by the lack of action over an early punch by Saints forward Sione Mata'utia and the failure to spot full-back Lachlan Coote putting a foot in touch as he palmed a Catalans penalty back into play.

Guasch says the club intend to compile a dossier of crucial incidents to send to the Rugby Football League and, although he knows it will not change the result, he intends to remain firm on his demand for neutral referees in future.

"As long as I'm president of the Catalans Dragons, I'll never play a Super League final again until we have three Australian referees," he said.

"I'm furious, at some point I say stop? I wanted to react like an English gentleman because I have a lot of respect for this competition.

"I am proud to have lived these three extraordinary days at Old Trafford as the English know how to organise them.

"But I saw the match again and I tell myself that I cannot let this go by without reacting and making a decision."

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/19 ... fs-finals/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Catalans Dragons' Bernard Guasch wants Australian refs for finals

Post by Mike »

Damn right. Saints Bought a victory I'd say.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

My take is, he should be given short shrift. Not to say the officials weren't at fault, of course.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If they respond at all, which I doubt they will, they'll say all the decisions were right, even the double jump from coote. Because he's going to KR he wasn't technically a saints player when his foot was on the ground so it's play on...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Catalans Dragons chairman Bernard Guasch set to be investigated

Catalans Dragons chairman Bernard Guasch will be investigated over comments made in the French club’s narrow and heartbreaking defeat to St Helens in the Grand Final on Saturday night.

A number of decisions made by referee Liam Moore as well as his officiating entourage went against the French side. Fouad Yaha could have had a penalty try when Tommy Makinson was sin binned in the second-half and some believe an incident of foul play went unnoticed early in the game. Sione Mata’utia also escaped punishment for a punch.

That led Guasch to launch a tirade following the game: “As long as I’m president of the Catalans Dragons, I’ll never play a Super League final again until we have three Australian referees.

“I’m furious, at some point I say stop? I wanted to react like an English gentleman because I have a lot of respect for this competition.

I am proud to have lived these three extraordinary days at Old Trafford as the English know how to organise them.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/catalans ... ted-44113/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Steve Ganson calls Bernard Guasch claims on Grand Final officiating 'ridiculous'

The Catalans owner suggested he would not play a final again under English referees

The Rugby Football League's head of match officials, Steve Ganson, has described comments made by Catalans president Bernard Guasch in the wake of last Saturday's Grand Final as 'ridiculous', and insisted he will not allow the integrity of his referees to be called into question.

Guasch said that as long as he remained at the helm of the Dragons, he would never contest a major rugby league final under English officials after the Dragons' 12-10 defeat to St Helens on Saturday evening.

But Ganson has now responded in stern fashion. Guasch will be investigated by the RFL's compliance department for the comments, but Ganson has publicly spoke out in support of Grand Final referee Liam Moore and the entire crop of match officials.

“We have seen in recent weeks and months an increased focus on the abuse being received by match officials in the community game, mostly verbal but in some cases physical," he said

Given that background, I can’t stand aside and allow some of our leading officials to have their integrity questioned in such a high-profile way.

“Our match officials are employed to make decisions and that’s what they do honestly and independently. They have a responsibility to contribute to the game in the interests of all stakeholders. This requires knowledge of the rules and effective player management skills alongside common sense.

“There were 288 play the balls in the Grand Final - each one creating multiple decisions that the referee makes on each single play. This carries a weight of enormous scrutiny and responsibility to the sport.

“It is the intention of the referee and his officials that each team has equal opportunity to win the game and within this, the officials have a duty to find the right balance between enforcement of the rules and contributing to the game without unwanted intervention - however, this requires compliance from the players on the field

Ganson continued: “To suggest a game is lost because of the referee alone is frankly ridiculous and needs calling out. I’m not claiming the performances of the officials involved on Saturday were perfect.

"But I would request that high-profile individuals in the game view the performances of match officials as they do those of players, accepting that errors will occasionally be made and that some marginal calls can go either way – and also consider before they question the integrity of match officials the damage that does to our attempts to increase the respect shown for officials throughout the sport, which is so important in recruitment and retention.

“The comments made by Mr Guasch have been passed to the compliance department for investigation, and we will await the result of that investigation

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-21835306