John Bateman reveals England captaincy dream ahead of Test with France

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

John Bateman reveals England captaincy dream ahead of Test with France

Post by josie andrews »

The Wigan forward is one of the leading candidates to replace Sam Tomkins as skipper on Saturday

John Bateman insists he is still in the dark about whether he will get the chance to fulfil his childhood dream of captaining England this weekend.

England head to Perpignan this weekend for their one and only autumn international of 2021, as they take on Laurent Frayssinous' France on Saturday afternoon. Catalans fullback Sam Tomkins captained the side for the mid-season clash with the Combined Nations All Stars, but he is unavailable this weekend due to a knee injury.

That has left the door ajar for Shaun Wane to name a new captain, with Bateman among the leading contenders alongside the likes of St Helens half-back Jonny Lomax.

The Wigan forward stressed that he has not been given a hint from Wane about who will wear the armband, with assistant coach Paul Wellens saying the same on Tuesday morning.

But Bateman admitted it would be a proud moment if he was named captain of his country for the first time. "He's not said anything - he likes to keep his cards close to his chest does Shaun, doesn't he," Bateman laughed.

"But as long as I'm playing I'm really not fussed. Though it is 100 per cent what you dream of as a child, isn't it. It's a dream that you don't often think will come true, too. But if Shaun was to turn around and say that it would be amazing.

It wouldn't be bad for a lad from Bradford, would it? But it's one of those things, for now, I'm just happy to play. I'll see what he says, I guess."

Bateman also admits the chance to return to the field after a disappointing end to his first season back with Wigan adds extra personal incentive to Saturday's trip across the Channel.

"It's good to get out there again," he said. "It wasn't the best year for us as a team, and I know it's funny for people if you're not involved with Wigan.

"But it's great to be back working with Waney again after being injured last time (against the All Stars). The aim wasn't to lose that game, and everything is all focussed on the World Cup. We thought it would be this year but these are important games for us."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... l-21904289
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: John Bateman reveals England captaincy dream ahead of Test with France

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Batemans lucky to be in the team at all tbh
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:35 pm Batemans lucky to be in the team at all tbh
couldnt agree more
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:35 pm Batemans lucky to be in the team at all tbh
+1
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Agreed he has had a shocking season
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am
He looked injured to me…… im sure we will see the real john bateman next season and hopefully he will smash that bentley
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am
He looked injured to me…… im sure we will see the real john bateman next season and hopefully he will smash that bentley
The wife said the same at times this last year with him and I'm sure he will come good again but no way should be captain of England after this season
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He got injured playing for England v the All Stars earlier this year & I don’t think he fully recovered from that.

Bateman to Captain England

England Head Coach Shaun Wane has named his side to take on France this weekend, with Wigan’s John Bateman set to Captain the side.

England Head Coach Shaun Wane has named his 17 players to take on France at Perpignan’s Stade Gilbert Brutus on Saturday (23rd October, 2:30pm).

Bateman, whose 16 England caps make him the most experienced international in Wane’s 17, will Captain a side containing eight players who will receive their first England international cap*.

Wane says: “There’s a very positive mood in the camp, a great camaraderie. The lads have trained well and we’re ready to go.

“We have some outstanding leaders in the team, including John Bateman who’ll be captain. I’ve known John since he was a kid, I trust him, I know what he’s capable of and he’s strong under pressure. And we have other strong leaders too, like Jonny Lomax in the halves and Mike Cooper in the front row.

“This is also a chance for the players to put a marker down for the World Cup. Some of them haven’t featured in an England set up before and I’m really excited for them. Representing your country is a dream and I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do in an England shirt.”

England team: Niall Evalds* (Castleford Tigers); Tom Davies* (Catalans Dragons), Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors), Tommy Makinson (St Helens); Jonny Lomax (St Helens), Jordan Abdull* (Hull KR); Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Paul McShane* (Castleford Tigers), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves); John Bateman (Wigan Warriors, Capt.), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors); Morgan Knowles* (St Helens). Interchanges: Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves); Kruise Leeming* (Leeds Rhinos); Mikolaj Oledzki* (Leeds Rhinos); Joe Philbin* (Warrington Wolves)

France versus England will be shown live on BBC TV on Saturday 23rd October – part of an international double-header also featuring the England Women’s team against their French counterparts. The Women’s match will be shown live on BBC2 with a midday kick-off UK-time – the first England Women’s international to be broadcast on terrestrial TV – followed by live coverage of the Men’s international on BBC1 at 2:30pm.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

One thing that does worry me about Batemans appointment to captain its that clearly Shaun Wanes "he's my mate" attitude is still there. Batemans been dross most this season and shoudnt really be in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Whether Bateman should be in the team or not is debatable given the season he has had but surely the decision on making him captain would be based on his experience and ability as a leader rather than how well he has performed this season