John Bateman reveals England captaincy dream ahead of Test with France

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: John Bateman reveals England captaincy dream ahead of Test with France

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 pm One thing that does worry me about Batemans appointment to captain its that clearly Shaun Wanes "he's my mate" attitude is still there. Batemans been dross most this season and shoudnt really be in the team
While Josie is right he did get injured in the last international game his form before hand was poor at times I didn’t realise he was still on the park that wasn’t the Bateman that left for Oz that’s for sure.

I’m a believer of any call ups players have to earn them on form not past exploits and more so the captaincy role,so while I’ve no doubt he will find his form again he certainly shouldn’t be captain and frankly not even in the side,it does make your point about Wane a valid one,if it where me picking the captain I’d have gone for Knowles
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm glad they are picking of ability and not form, otherwise we might have had Danny Richardson picked when at saints or Grace lining up instead of Mcgilvery

I'm not to fussed about conner missing out, he is good but he causes to many disaplinary issues on field.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For me, based on the squad listed and specifically for this game, I'd go with Mike Cooper or Paul McShane as skipper (regardless of caps).

As for Bateman, hasn't had the best of seasons, delighted to see Faz in, has been wrongly overlooked in recent seasons IMO!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 pm For me, based on the squad listed and specifically for this game, I'd go with Mike Cooper or Paul McShane as skipper (regardless of caps).

As for Bateman, hasn't had the best of seasons, delighted to see Faz in, has been wrongly overlooked in recent seasons IMO!
On what basis should it be Cooper or McShane?

The role of a captain isn’t just the best player or loudest or most influential on the pitch.

It’s about how they train, examples they set, do others look up to them etc. It is this latter part that we as fans don’t get to know other than coaches and other players letting on with this information.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Is this a sign of what is coming at Wigan?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:12 pm Is this a sign of what is coming at Wigan?
Why do you believe Matty peet will do the same?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Plain and simple he shouldn’t be in the side . He’s hardly set the league on fire this year . As for well he’s been injured ,Not really setting a good example is it to play if your carrying an injury most of the season as all your doing is letting the team down . Stand up admit your not playing as you should and maybe someone else could do better until your well and fit and learn for the future .
Well that’s what I was taught about teamwork.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

up the junction wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 pm Plain and simple he shouldn’t be in the side . He’s hardly set the league on fire this year . As for well he’s been injured ,Not really setting a good example is it to play if your carrying an injury most of the season as all your doing is letting the team down . Stand up admit your not playing as you should and maybe someone else could do better until your well and fit and learn for the future .
Where has Bateman’s injury been confirmed ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I didn’t know he was until I read Josies post earlier. Just my view on the matter .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 pm
up the junction wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 pm Plain and simple he shouldn’t be in the side . He’s hardly set the league on fire this year . As for well he’s been injured ,Not really setting a good example is it to play if your carrying an injury most of the season as all your doing is letting the team down . Stand up admit your not playing as you should and maybe someone else could do better until your well and fit and learn for the future .
Where has Bateman’s injury been confirmed ?
He’s had a problem with his shoulder/s all season. Did you not see him popping pain relief at magic during the game? Plus he was injured during the last England game v Allstars & missed several games for us after that fixture.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan