League v Union rivalry

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
AndyNick

Re: League v Union rivalry

Post by AndyNick »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 pm Thanks Jobo. You're right that I wasn't poking fun at Union (tho I'm by no means a fan!).

I guess my point is that most sports, apart from soccer, are struggling to a greater or lesser extent. Our plight may be more obvious/publicised than others, but it's not easy to establish a team in a new area - for any sport.

American football have the once a year big game in London, sure. But remember London Monarchs? And a team in Germany (Frankfurt?). How many $million have they pumped in to try to expand into Europe?

Me & Mrs Morley went on holiday in Ireland in the mid-90s. Passed through Tipperary and Limerick. It was semi-final time for either Gaelic Football or Hurling. Every other house we passed had a flag hanging out, supporting their team.

The sports are unknown in the rest of the world. They're (supposedly) amateur, and a player can only play for the county they were born in. Yet they survive, even thrive.

For all the doom and gloom about RL, and I have concerns about its direction, I think there's a community/inherited aspect to supporting a team or a sport that would take centuries to overcome. RL is ingrained in Wigan, in Hull, in West Yorks, Cumberland, even Sentellins!

It may change, it may even become semi-pro in the next few years, but it's more resilient than we sometimes fear. The failure of Union at Orrell and Leeds is evidence that it's extremely hard, despite money, hype or whatever, to displace a sport which is deeply ingrained in local communities, and in the minds of people....people like us.
It was more a tongue in cheek comment than an actual dig. A lot of the traditional big clubs were affected badly by the advent of professionalism, Orrell were far from the only ones, West Hartlepool (Liam Botham's first full time Union club) were another, Liverpool St Helens and Waterloo have both played in the top flight and are now way down the pecking order. Newcastle only survived because of John Hall's money. The point you made was valid, that particularly in the League Stronghold areas, the pro-model was unsustainable because the fan base simply isn't there. As I said, I am a rarity in that I will attend games for both but I am very much in the minority there. League fans might go to the odd game of Union for something to do but they're not going to go week in, week out and vice versa with Union fans watching League.

The point you raise about American Football is a valid one as well. I Do follow NFL and have attended International series games in the past, but I don't think a UK Franchise would work. When you go to the games, 90% of the crowd are wearing jerseys. We all have teams. I am a Bengals fan (Don't ask, i know they're dreadful....) I've been to 3 London games, 2 involving the Bengals and one which didn't. The one which didn't I wasn't all that bothered about and I said after it, i'd only go again if the Bengals were involved. That is what the people in the US don't seem to get. If all of a sudden you had the London Lunatics playing in the NFL, i'm not about to ditch the Bengals and become a London fan, and neither are the vast majority of NFL fans in the UK. Theyll do what they do now and pick one or two games each season to attend, OR will like me simply go when their team are in town which might only be every 4 years given how the NFL Scheduling works.

I've digressed but what i'm saying is that I agree with you. At the current time, RL would do well to take a step back and stop trying to sell the game to people who don't want to buy it, and focus on re-selling it to the people who've fallen out of love with it. Crowds are dwindling everywhere, Get your core fanbase back involved and for the love of god, bring Cumbria to the table!!!
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

It's a "no contest"

,always has been,always will be Andy. Agree very much with the final paragraph in your post. Also chuckled at your self parody of the stereotypical kilted jock! 🍷Cheers!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The thread prompted me to have a look into what the RU salary cap is and to my surprise they are reducing it for 2021/22 to £5m down from £6.4m.

It's supposed to be temporary but they were trying to reduce pre-covid as over the 2018 to 2020 seasons (I think) the clubs collectively lost £89m !!! :o

They were also considering getting rid of the marquee player rule (which is similar to RL with two players wages outside the cap) after it was heavily criticised in report written by Lord Myners, who deemed it, “inflationary, over-complex and unnecessary”. I don't know if they agreed to do ditch it or not. Clubs also wanted to give players a 25% pay cut and the Players Association was threatening court action potentially lodging claims of unlawful deduction of wages. No idea what happened either but all is not well financially in RU land.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

DaveO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:18 pm The thread prompted me to have a look into what the RU salary cap is and to my surprise they are reducing it for 2021/22 to £5m down from £6.4m.

It's supposed to be temporary but they were trying to reduce pre-covid as over the 2018 to 2020 seasons (I think) the clubs collectively lost £89m !!! :o

They were also considering getting rid of the marquee player rule (which is similar to RL with two players wages outside the cap) after it was heavily criticised in report written by Lord Myners, who deemed it, “inflationary, over-complex and unnecessary”. I don't know if they agreed to do ditch it or not. Clubs also wanted to give players a 25% pay cut and the Players Association was threatening court action potentially lodging claims of unlawful deduction of wages. No idea what happened either but all is not well financially in RU land.
Do the RFU have central contracts too. I cant see too many clubs being happy with Player X missing for autumn internationals and then 6 nations

I get partly why their cap is so much higher, as they must use far bigger squads with the league, cup, european cup etc to play for. Admittedly playing the games is all about the money / TV etc but just shows the massive disparity financially in the 2 sports

RL has put the cap in as a way to bring the level down, whilst the RFU must have increased it over the years to attract / retain players and keep them in the sport
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good comments, Andy.

I developed a bit on (TV) interest in American Football way back in the 80s when Channel 4 first showed it.

My interest stalled when, having gained some familiarity with LA Raiders (Marcus Allen era), the following season it was all Chicago Bears, then Miami Dolphins. I lost interest as I couldn't be bothered learning who the key players were in a new team every years - no continuity. I doubt I'd ever have become a fan, travelled to London etc, bit they lost me as a TV viewer as I needed to be attached to one team and follow year-on-year changes in fortune.

Whereas, RL-wise I have a dyed-in-the-wool commitment to Wigan, which you can't create easily from scratch. Edinburgh Warrior may disagree, but I'd see him as the exception which proves the rule.

Much of the talk of expansion ignores this - even the successes at Cats and Toulouse are built on foundations which date back to the 1930s or earlier.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

IVE ALWAYS FOLLOWED THE NFL, HAD GAME PASS FOR YEARS SO I CAN WATCH MY TEAM PLAY EVERY WEEK....THE RAIDERS ARE ARSES AS THAT ALLEN LAD SMASHED US IN THE SUPER BOWL :lol:

oops sorry just realised caps lock was on
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:18 pm The thread prompted me to have a look into what the RU salary cap is and to my surprise they are reducing it for 2021/22 to £5m down from £6.4m.

Do the RFU have central contracts too. I cant see too many clubs being happy with Player X missing for autumn internationals and then 6 nations

I get partly why their cap is so much higher, as they must use far bigger squads with the league, cup, european cup etc to play for. Admittedly playing the games is all about the money / TV etc but just shows the massive disparity financially in the 2 sports

RL has put the cap in as a way to bring the level down, whilst the RFU must have increased it over the years to attract / retain players and keep them in the sport
The RFU don't have central contracts, they do have an agreement with Premier rugby to manage the workload of the Elite Player Squad (England squad) which is why players who play outside of the English Premiership are not considered for England. England and France are the only two tier 1 top flight leagues not controlled by the unions (I say tier 1 because there are top leagues in Japan and USA which are attracting some big names albeit once their international careers are over)

The Irish, Scottish and Welsh clubs put far more emphasis on European competition. Leinster used more than 50 different players last season, they save their top players for the European games and their second string is still good enough to beat most teams in the URC.

The reason the Unions are strapped for cash at the moment is because they've missed out of the revenue generated by International ticket sales. 80000 at Twickenham paying £100 a ticket. I'm surprised England didn't play an outside the window test last weekend. Wales played the All Blacks missing their non Wales based players (Clubs not obliged to release players outside the window) was a pure money spinner. It would be like England RL taking on Australia on the same day as the Grand Final.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

AndyNick wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 pm

The RFU don't have central contracts, they do have an agreement with Premier rugby to manage the workload of the Elite Player Squad (England squad) which is why players who play outside of the English Premiership are not considered for England. England and France are the only two tier 1 top flight leagues not controlled by the unions (I say tier 1 because there are top leagues in Japan and USA which are attracting some big names albeit once their international careers are over)

The Irish, Scottish and Welsh clubs put far more emphasis on European competition. Leinster used more than 50 different players last season, they save their top players for the European games and their second string is still good enough to beat most teams in the URC.

The reason the Unions are strapped for cash at the moment is because they've missed out of the revenue generated by International ticket sales. 80000 at Twickenham paying £100 a ticket. I'm surprised England didn't play an outside the window test last weekend. Wales played the All Blacks missing their non Wales based players (Clubs not obliged to release players outside the window) was a pure money spinner. It would be like England RL taking on Australia on the same day as the Grand Final.
Thanks AndyNick, really good insight into some of the workings of the home unions. It also explains why going to France for a pay day effectively ends your England career, but suppose thats only like a top Ozzie coming over here, then not getting selected to play for them or origin

i had noticed that when it came to European games that Leinster were very strong, and your explanation is bang on in explaining size of squad and what they target as their main competition
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Scotland played Tonga last Saturday at Murrayfield with half their usual squad because the English Premiership teams are not obliged to release players outside the international window. That can be a blessing at times to bring in fresh caps or a disaster aka what happened to Wales . WRFU openly admitted that they only played the game to generate funds (£4m) and were expecting nothing from it . On a a side note Sale had 9 South African players in their playing squad on Saturday . That cant be beneficial to bringing on fresh talent . More teams club and international are going down the Saracens route re South African players
2002 and EW is hooked
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:06 am Scotland played Tonga last Saturday at Murrayfield with half their usual squad because the English Premiership teams are not obliged to release players outside the international window. That can be a blessing at times to bring in fresh caps or a disaster aka what happened to Wales . WRFU openly admitted that they only played the game to generate funds (£4m) and were expecting nothing from it . On a a side note Sale had 9 South African players in their playing squad on Saturday . That cant be beneficial to bringing on fresh talent . More teams club and international are going down the Saracens route re South African players
Oh absolutely the Tonga game was a money spinner for Dodson as well. Murrayfield was only half full and whilst i'm sure the Blazers will hail it a success that the Scottish side missing Hogg, Russell, Duhan, Rory Sutherland etc put Tonga to the sword (Andy Robinson rested players against Tonga and lost not too long ago) I have no doubt that if Dodson could have got the All Blacks to Murrayfield last saturday, he would have had no qualms whatsoever about feeding the second string Scottish side to the AB's in exchange for a full house at Murrayfield and the SRU coffers getting a much needed boost!!!