Challenge Cup 2022 details with one Super League club not participating

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Challenge Cup 2022 details with one Super League club not participating

Post by josie andrews »

Here's everything you need to know about the Challenge Cup plans for the 2022 season.

Details of this year's Challenge Cup schedule have been released to clubs ahead of the 2022 season.

The 121st staging of the competition will see the journey begin in January before culminating at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on May 28th.

The change of location for the final was a major talking point following its announcement, with the traditional Wembley showpiece event relocated for one year only.

In a schedule distributed by the RFL, it shows that the first round will consist of 26 clubs from the amateur game and take place on the weekend of January 15/16.

League 1 clubs will enter a round later, which takes place a fortnight after the first round.

Championship clubs enter in round four before Super League clubs enter at the last 16 stage.

Only 11 Super League clubs will participate. Newly promoted French club Toulouse Olympique will not enter, following on from recent form in which they have not taken up an invitation to enter.

Toulouse are not an RFL member club and therefore are not obliged to enter. They are instead invited to participate but have passed on the offer.

Challenge Cup Key Dates

January 15/16: Challenge Cup Round 1 (26 Community clubs)

January 29/30: Challenge Cup Round 2 (11 League 1 clubs enter)

February 12/13: Challenge Cup Round 3

February 26/27: Challenge Cup Round 4 (14 Championship clubs enter)

March 12/13: Challenge Cup Round 5

March 26/27: Challenge Cup Round 6 (11 Super League clubs enter)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... w-22128918
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Challenge Cup 2022 details with one Super League club not participating

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Pretty poor from Toulouse IMO . Now a Superleague club they should start acting like one (unless that stupid bond is still in place).

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:26 am Pretty poor from Toulouse IMO . Now a Superleague club they should start acting like one (unless that stupid bond is still in place).

Regards EW
I thought that as my first reaction but on reflection I think it is a good idea for the promoted club to have that option to not partake in the cup, it allows them to concentrate more on the league rather than becoming a yoyo club.
They could get knocked out in the first round, but could also pick up injuries and fatigue if they dont have the squad depth to manage the additional fixtures
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree, surely achieving stability within SL outweighs participating in any other competition.

Would think most RL fans and the RFL would like to see Toulouse mirror Catalans success.

I don't know the ins and outs of the invitation process, I'd imagine two significant factors in the decision are financial and squad depth.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Toulouse are not an RFL member club....
Are Les Cats?

I didn't realise clubs could play in the Championship and not be an RFL member club never mind use non-membership to pass on entry into the Challenge Cup once promoted to SL.

It should be condition of entry into professional RL in the UK that clubs become members and so are bound to take part in the CC. The RFL dropped the ball again here not insisting on this. It devalues the Cup by making entry optional and I think they should have been ineligible for promotion unless they agreed to take part. A few games in the Cup aren't going to wreck their chances of avoiding the drop so that's no excuse.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:59 am
Toulouse are not an RFL member club....
Are Les Cats?

I didn't realise clubs could play in the Championship and not be an RFL member club never mind use non-membership to pass on entry into the Challenge Cup once promoted to SL.

It should be condition of entry into professional RL in the UK that clubs become members and so are bound to take part in the CC. The RFL dropped the ball again here not insisting on this. It devalues the Cup by making entry optional and I think they should have been ineligible for promotion unless they agreed to take part. A few games in the Cup aren't going to wreck their chances of avoiding the drop so that's no excuse.
Whilst I agree in part, newly promoted clubs should become members but part of me thinks establishing themselves in the league, certainly in their first year should be a priority.
Those few games as you say could be the difference between an injury crisis and/or the team running out of steam when it comes towards the end of the year, newly promoted teams are unlikely to have the squad depth and talent available to cover for injuries/additional games.
I don't think one team not putting their name in the hat for the first year of promotion devalues the cup, but they should be made to particiate if they survive the first year in the top flight.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Shame Leigh weren’t treated the same
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The assumption seems to be that Toulouse want to focus on staying up. I'd have thought travel might have something to do with it too?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐