Joel Tomkins retires

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Joel Tomkins retires

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:59 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 am
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm mediocre player who lived of that 2011 try and the fact he was Sam's older brother
But that '2011 try' as you call it was a lifetime memory for Joel as well as me and many other fans even if it did facilitate his move to Union.
Same here. Even the Leeds fans near us thought it was brilliant. It's one of the great Wembley tries.
The trouble is, it seems like a lifetime ago!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:35 pm
But that '2011 try' as you call it was a lifetime memory for Joel as well as me and many other fans even if it did facilitate his move to Union.
Same here. Even the Leeds fans near us thought it was brilliant. It's one of the great Wembley tries.
It was a great try and I never said it wasn't, but since then he has been a mediocre player living of that moment, the fact somebody has stated he was great in 2010 is irrelevant
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm mediocre player who lived of that 2011 try and the fact he was Sam's older brother
I'd say the best try I've seen at Wembley, partly because I never thought he could have gone length of the field. Special for me as it was the first Wembley with my eldest Son and I splashed out for tickets up "in the Gods" and saw the try play out. Got me reminiscing now - why wasn't the trip on Hoffman punished with a red in the first minute?
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:50 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:35 pm

It was a great try and I never said it wasn't, but since then he has been a mediocre player living of that moment, the fact somebody has stated he was great in 2010 is irrelevant
I didn’t say you did!
Charriots Offiah

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 pm
I'd say the best try I've seen at Wembley, partly because I never thought he could have gone length of the field. Special for me as it was the first Wembley with my eldest Son and I splashed out for tickets up "in the Gods" and saw the try play out. Got me reminiscing now - why wasn't the trip on Hoffman punished with a red in the first minute?
Offiah against Leeds was the best I have seen followed by Gill against Hull.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 am

Yes but you’re old like me 😉 Tomkins’ was still a great try & deserves to be celebrated with all great tries 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:41 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 am

Yes but you’re old like me 😉 Tomkins’ was still a great try & deserves to be celebrated with all great tries 😊
Between us, we have a very good top 3 :), I'd say Brett Kenny's from '85 is a close 4th?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Ellery Hanleys against Saints Challenge cup final 1989
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 am Ellery Hanleys against Saints Challenge cup final 1989
Definately this…… connolly wouldnt have stopped him with a sledge hammer that day
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Tbf to joel i thought his try versus wakey in the league that season was his best…… i thought the cc try was made to look better by awful defence off brent webb….. he made no attempt and turned his back on joel
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE