Shaun Wane reiterates need for Super League support as World Cup draws closer

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane reiterates need for Super League support as World Cup draws closer

Post by josie andrews »

Wane and England are plotting World Cup glory in 2022.

England head coach Shaun Wane has called on Super League clubs to give him full support as he bids to deliver World Cup glory next autumn.

The revised fixture schedule for next year’s rearranged tournament was revealed this morning and Wane faces the prospect of leading his country into a quarter-final showdown at the DW Stadium.

England will play there if they reach the last eight after the double-header – the men’s quarter-final and women’s group game between England and Canada – was moved from Anfield to Wigan due to redevelopment work at Liverpool FC’s iconic home.

Wane, who has returned to Wigan Warriors as leadership and management director and will combine the role with his England job, has been satisfied with the support from Super League clubs heading into a World Cup year.

Wane said: “I only think in a positive way and it was unfortunate having a World Cup postponed when we were geared up for it to go ahead.

“But on the positive side that has given me another 12 months to work with a very talented group of players.

What I will do this coming year is have as much time as the Super League clubs will allow us to have.

“The majority of Super League clubs have been great.

They have bought into it and they know the need for us to have a successful World Cup campaign and I’ve got the backing of everybody.

“I think the players enjoyed their time with us in England camp for the recent France game.

“I just want to encourage every Super League club to get behind us like they have done and make sure that we have as much contact time as possible.”

Wane namechecked Hull Kingston Rovers playmaker Mikey Lewis and Huddersfield Giants teenager Will Pryce as potential World Cup stars next year.

The former Wigan head coach is demanding greater depth in all positions, adding: “The one thing I’m saying to our staff is that I want more halves, more nines and more sixes.

“At the minute I’ve got three or four nines and I want more.

“I want to make tough decisions and that’s our job.

“You look at young kids coming through - Mikey Lewis, Will Pryce – all those players will be another year older and more mature.

“Their bodies will be more mature because they’re doing weight programmes with their clubs and will be more physically ready.

“We’re getting more players putting their hands up for selection but on the other hand I want more.

That’s our challenge for us as coaches and Super League clubs. We all want more talent coming through.”

Conversely, Wane accepts there will be players who he no longer requires.

That will happen,” he admitted.

“This is professional sport and I’m obsessed about one thing and that’s winning a World Cup.

“I have a strong conscience and if I don’t think somebody will help us win a World Cup then I’ll do it in a nice way – but he’ll be out the squad.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-22231767
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan