The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Post by josie andrews »

It’s been one of the major talking points in recent days, but the Penrith Panthers have effectively handed St Helens an ultimatum on the World Club Challenge.

Whilst Penrith are willing to still play the global fixture, they are unwilling to make the journey to the UK for it to happen.

Instead, it is up to Super League Grand Final winners Saints to travel halfway across the world, without it needs to be said, being funded by their Australian hosts.

That is unlike NRL sides that travel to the UK for the fixture who receive subsidised flights and accommodation from the host club.

However, for the Australian Fergo & the Freak podcast, the World Club Challenge is something they aren’t bothered about.

“As a Panthers fan I’m happy about it,” host Andrew Ferguson revealed.

The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous – I don’t want my club focused on wining a game in February, I’m more concerned about them being good in September and October when the big games are played.

They (Penrith) would play it as the preseason warm up, but they wouldn’t be paying any of the costs, so if St Helens want to take part in it then it can be on.”

The podcast went on to explain how a World Club Challenge in the UK would just not be the right thing to do.

Having the game in the UK right now is not feasible.

“I don’t care what other sports do, the seven-week average of new cases is 42,000, whilst in Sydney it was 128 yesterday – that is the difference between the numbers.

You wouldn’t send your players over there especially for a game that isn’t needed.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/the-worl ... ure-45857/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Post by josie andrews »

Arrogant barstewards!

They have more money in their comp than we have & we the British team pays all the expenses when their teams come here but won’t reciprocate for the current SL champs to go there! 🤨🤨
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Caboosegg

Re: The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Post by Caboosegg »

The point valid though on covid numbers but that's just an excuse in this case.

I
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:46 pm The point valid though on covid numbers but that's just an excuse in this case.

I
Really. Comparing absolute case numbers for a whole large country vs a small city. Valid?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:54 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:46 pm The point valid though on covid numbers but that's just an excuse in this case.

I
Really. Comparing absolute case numbers for a whole large country vs a small city. Valid?
Okay last week 383 cases per 100k population in Saint Helens.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I don't think covid has any or very little influence on this at all.

Didn't Brisbane play Warrington in 2017 as a substitute or the only team willing to accept an invitation?

For me, the World Club Challenge down under, is very much individual club wise, they either buy into it or don't. Sydney Roosters 🐓 are clearly one who embrace. I love the WCC and I think from a British/SL perspective, I like to see us win against a superior competion (excluding Stains, Leeds and NEVER WIRE). The NRL has often had an icey perspective on this, they simply prioritise the NRL!

I really hope it survives
jobo

Post by jobo »

It's a shame really. Was looking forward to Sts getting a stuffing.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

problem with WCC is the same issue that we have with International game the Aussies see the hierarchy of importance as follows

Origin
NRL Grandfinal
International
Their kids 100m race at sports day
WCC

They are happy that their comp is the best in the world - and they are 100% correct so there is nothing to prove really for them again the ESL - its never done on fair terms for either side, both are always undercooked and neither team is likely to be the team that earnt the place in the comp
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Thinking on, I wasn't born in 87, too young for 91 and not able to go down under in 94. First WCC was St George in 2011, remember watching them warm up and thought they looked so intense we'd get hammered.

2017 v Cronulla was a dream come true for me! I remember thinking even if you win the SL title year after year, turning over the aussies is a different ask.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am Thinking on, I wasn't born in 87, too young for 91 and not able to go down under in 94. First WCC was St George in 2011, remember watching them warm up and thought they looked so intense we'd get hammered.

2017 v Cronulla was a dream come true for me! I remember thinking even if you win the SL title year after year, turning over the aussies is a different ask.
Oh dear you missed a great match v Manly! Just couldn’t move in Central Park that night, was one of the greatest games I’ve watched. Loved every minute 😊