The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am Thinking on, I wasn't born in 87, too young for 91 and not able to go down under in 94. First WCC was St George in 2011, remember watching them warm up and thought they looked so intense we'd get hammered.

2017 v Cronulla was a dream come true for me! I remember thinking even if you win the SL title year after year, turning over the aussies is a different ask.
Oh dear you missed a great match v Manly! Just couldn’t move in Central Park that night, was one of the greatest games I’ve watched. Loved every minute 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: The World Club Challenge is a little bit ridiculous’ – Australian podcast slams global fixture

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 am problem with WCC is the same issue that we have with International game the Aussies see the hierarchy of importance as follows

Origin
NRL Grandfinal
International
Their kids 100m race at sports day
WCC

They are happy that their comp is the best in the world - and they are 100% correct so there is nothing to prove really for them again the ESL - its never done on fair terms for either side, both are always undercooked and neither team is likely to be the team that earnt the place in the comp
For me the problem is not that they see the NRL as the best in the world, which I agree it is.
It would be possible to hold this view and simultaneously be interested in encouraging RL in other parts of the world, rather than just in a large but isolated and underpopulated backwater.

The message and attitude that comes across in the podcast, and in Penrith's reported "offer", is of wanting to humiliate Saints and British RL. Unfortunately I can't feel sure that these aren't representative of the NRL as a whole.

One last point re Covid: By February, it's quite possible that their case numbers will have passed ours, as we're much, much closer to something approaching herd immunity than they are. It should be Saints who are wary of booking flights as they could well be cancelled. The Aussies aren't good at everything!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:28 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am Thinking on, I wasn't born in 87, too young for 91 and not able to go down under in 94. First WCC was St George in 2011, remember watching them warm up and thought they looked so intense we'd get hammered.

2017 v Cronulla was a dream come true for me! I remember thinking even if you win the SL title year after year, turning over the aussies is a different ask.
Oh dear you missed a great match v Manly! Just couldn’t move in Central Park that night, was one of the greatest games I’ve watched. Loved every minute 😊
I agree the place was rocking.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 am
Mike wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:54 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:46 pm The point valid though on covid numbers but that's just an excuse in this case.

I
Really. Comparing absolute case numbers for a whole large country vs a small city. Valid?
Okay last week 383 cases per 100k population in Saint Helens.
Fair enough. Not what they said though was it?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I remember being knackered after the Manly game but walked home as there wasn’t any buses,some game that the only other game for intensity of the crowd was the Everton v Bayern Munich semi final in ‘85,both fantastic occasions
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Too true Josie, immense evening, no tries and Shaun Wane MOTM but it should have been Andy Goodway.
The next day sports reports all highlighted the fact that the attendance at Central Park was bigger than at any football match that evening.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Too true Josie, immense evening, no tries and Shaun Wane MOTM but it should have been Andy Goodway. Every Wigan player that evening was English as well, those were the days. Joe Lydons birthday today as well, 58, we are all a lot older.
The next day sports reports all highlighted the fact that the attendance at Central Park was bigger than at any football match that evening.
Just remembered that the idiot time keeper sounded the half time hooter several minutes early, the match stopped and after much shouting at him and the ref was restarted until half time proper.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Too true Josie, immense evening, no tries and Shaun Wane MOTM but it should have been Andy Goodway. Every Wigan player that evening was English as well, those were the days. Joe Lydons birthday today as well, 58, we are all a lot older.
Just remembered that the idiot time keeper sounded the half time hooter several minutes early, the match stopped and after much shouting at him and the ref was restarted until half time proper.
Oh yes, I forgot about that too. And the attendance was far more than the attendance quoted! When we were coming away, eventually, as everyone was pushing through the gates we were just carried along & almost fell over when we actually got through. How no one was injured was incredible. Was still buzzing days after 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:46 pm The point valid though on covid numbers but that's just an excuse in this case.

I
Really. Comparing absolute case numbers for a whole large country vs a small city. Valid?
They need to get a backbone, this disease is mutating and therefore cannot pose the same threat that was prevalent 20 months ago. People have gone soft.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:02 am

I
They need to get a backbone, this disease is mutating and therefore cannot pose the same threat that was prevalent 20 months ago. People have gone soft.
?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐