Scotland

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
medlocke

Re: Scotland

Post by medlocke »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:48 am If you are in the New Galloway area Glentrool is worth a visit
Cheers EW, shall have a look at the place
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Coming south from Perth, you could head towards Stirling, then tack southwards, turn left off the A9 at Gleneagles and through Glen Devon. The road then passing Knockhill race track, and you can avoid Dunfermline and head for the "old" Forth Road Bridge, or use motorway to go over the impressive new bridge (Queensferry crossing). Head for Livingstone and join the A71 towards Kilmarnock.Fork left after West Calder over the moors to Carstairs and then Lanark.

New Lanark is worth a visit (look it up) and it's on the River Clyde nearer to its source. You can stay overnight at a YHA place, which is part of the original workers' houses. It's cheap but comfortable and clean: no kettle in room but a kitchen on ground floor.

Cross the Clyde at Hyndford Bridge, turn right and cross the M74 at Uddington, on to Cumnock, then south on your previous route as per EW.

Just an idea - if you're interested, I can send more detail.

I used to see long-eared owls regularly on the moorland above Forth village, but it's now forestry land, so maybe not so easy to spot.
Last edited by morley pie eater on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Johnone

Post by Johnone »

I thought that this was a R L forum
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Johnone wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:51 pm I thought that this was a R L forum
It is. Some of us have other interests too. There used to be an "Off Topic" section, but it was railroaded by politics/Brexit arguments, so the admin suggested using this as a general forum, rather than just General RL.

It shouldn't be a problem for anyone who's not interested as there's no requirement to read it. 🙂
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:28 pm Coming south from Perth, you could head towards Stirling, then tack southwards, turn left off the A9 at Gleneagles and through Glen Devon. The road then passing Knockhill race track, and you can avoid Dunfermline and head for the "old" Forth Road Bridge, or use motorway to go over the impressive new bridge (Queensferry crossing). Head for Livingstone and join the A71 towards Kilmarnock.Fork left after West Calder over the moors to Carstairs and then Lanark.

New Lanark is worth a visit (look it up) and it's on the River Clyde nearer to its source. You can stay overnight at a YHA place, which is part of the original workers' houses. It's cheap but comfortable and clean: no kettle in room but a kitchen on ground floor.

Cross the Clyde at Hyndford Bridge, turn right and cross the M74 at Uddington, on to Cumnock, then south on your previous route as per EW.

Just an idea - if you're interested, I can send more detail.

I used to see long-eared owls regularly on the moorland above Forth village, but it's now forestry land, so maybe not so easy to spot.
Cheers Morley, I'll check some of these places out, any info is appreciated, waterfalls, bridges, viaducts, lochs, reservoirs, forests, views, anything or place of interest is welcomed
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 pm With all these great posts I've started thinking about my next trip up just after next Easter, planning another 3 days up to John O'Groats with two nights in Inverness, I've got the route up sorted, Stirling/Perth/Aviemore route, on the 3rd night I'm thinking about staying around the Glasgow area so I'm after a route from Inverness to Glasgow via Balmoral to Pitlochry, need some help with the rest of the route as really want to see some nice scenery and don't want to be stuck on motorways and dual carriageways, the more Lochs, Forests, Glens the better
We really enjoyed perth and sterling meds….. nearly as much as inverness….. one of the python castles is near stirling in case morley is interested
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 pm With all these great posts I've started thinking about my next trip up just after next Easter, planning another 3 days up to John O'Groats with two nights in Inverness, I've got the route up sorted, Stirling/Perth/Aviemore route, on the 3rd night I'm thinking about staying around the Glasgow area so I'm after a route from Inverness to Glasgow via Balmoral to Pitlochry, need some help with the rest of the route as really want to see some nice scenery and don't want to be stuck on motorways and dual carriageways, the more Lochs, Forests, Glens the better
We really enjoyed perth and sterling meds….. nearly as much as inverness….. one of the python castles is near stirling in case morley is interested
Nice place is Stirling, visited a couple of times last year when we stayed in Falkirk, found a rather nice wildlife/safari park around half from there called Blair Drummond, was brilliant, you could drive around as many times as you like, they also had a very good bird of prey show on 3 times a day
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:19 pm
Nice place is Stirling, visited a couple of times last year when we stayed in Falkirk, found a rather nice wildlife/safari park around half from there called Blair Drummond, was brilliant, you could drive around as many times as you like, they also had a very good bird of prey show on 3 times a day
Ill keep that in mind next time we go…. Cheers meds
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:36 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:19 pm
Ill keep that in mind next time we go…. Cheers meds
No probs mate, also had a rather nice Cullen Skink with chicken sandwiches on the Royal Yacht earlier that same day
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Just booked another trip up in October, staying in Inverness for a few days then down into the Kinross area, shall be doing the usual John O'Groats area crack then the next day off over to the Applecross pass, after some interesting places to visit for the other days, on the way to Kinross we shall be heading to Balmoral then onto Blairgowrie for some cracking scotch pies via the A93 then onto Arbroath, Dundee, St Andrews & Kinross, Is there anything of interest around the Kinross area, as you can see I have 3 days taken care of, just need the other 2 filling