Scotland

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Scotland

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm One of my wife’s sisters lives in the back of beyond there in old in an old forestry commission property on the other side of the mountain from Strontium which is near Fort William.

There is a ferry across the Loch to Strontium and if you miss it, it’s a long detour right around the top of the Lock to Fort William and back down again. It’s not the sort of place you pop for a weekend visit.

In winter the only way to reach them if it snows is down an old forestry commission track and the “postie” not only delivers the mail but supplies in his 4wd.

We were last up there in October 2013 when we combined a visit to a weeks holiday on Skye. Weather was really kind to us and on Skye we stayed in a cottage opposite Portree.

Saw Sea Eagles three of which seemed to having a scrap right over our cottage. Got some photos and the RSPB bloke in Portree said he could tell from the tags (they are quite large tags on the wings) a couple were interlopers from further east possibly contemplating moving to Skye.

Was also lucky enough to see a sea otter. There is a viewing hide in the south of the island near the ferry and while we were there a chap turned up and we pointed out the otter and he said he’d been coming 15 years and had never seen one.

Scenery was stunning. Hiked up to the Old Man of Storr which was fantastic.
The ferry between Ardgour and Corran a spectacular trip especially in the cold frosty winter days with snow on the hills and the flood tide going out . The trip only takes a few minutes but the ferry is dragged down the Loch with the flood tide and struggles to make it over the short crossing . While it struggles up tide there is plenty time to take photo's of the spectacular snow capped Ben Nevis and surrounding mountains .

Train enthusiasts if in the area should take the trip from Fort William to Mallaig (steam heritage in summer) which crosses the Glenfinnan viaduct and through some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland. The car journey is great as well as you can stop off at various laybys for magical photo opportunities . The road is upgraded now but in my youth was a single track road with passing places . Not for the faint hearted in the early mornings then as the fleet of lorries carrying the early morning fish catch from Mallaig stopped for no one lol. That's lorry drivers for you eh!!!! Morley . :D :lol: :shock:

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 am
DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm One of my wife’s sisters lives in the back of beyond there in old in an old forestry commission property on the other side of the mountain from Strontium which is near Fort William.

There is a ferry across the Loch to Strontium and if you miss it, it’s a long detour right around the top of the Lock to Fort William and back down again. It’s not the sort of place you pop for a weekend visit.

In winter the only way to reach them if it snows is down an old forestry commission track and the “postie” not only delivers the mail but supplies in his 4wd.

We were last up there in October 2013 when we combined a visit to a weeks holiday on Skye. Weather was really kind to us and on Skye we stayed in a cottage opposite Portree.

Saw Sea Eagles three of which seemed to having a scrap right over our cottage. Got some photos and the RSPB bloke in Portree said he could tell from the tags (they are quite large tags on the wings) a couple were interlopers from further east possibly contemplating moving to Skye.

Was also lucky enough to see a sea otter. There is a viewing hide in the south of the island near the ferry and while we were there a chap turned up and we pointed out the otter and he said he’d been coming 15 years and had never seen one.

Scenery was stunning. Hiked up to the Old Man of Storr which was fantastic.
The ferry between Ardgour and Corran a spectacular trip especially in the cold frosty winter days with snow on the hills and the flood tide going out . The trip only takes a few minutes but the ferry is dragged down the Loch with the flood tide and struggles to make it over the short crossing . While it struggles up tide there is plenty time to take photo's of the spectacular snow capped Ben Nevis and surrounding mountains .

Train enthusiasts if in the area should take the trip from Fort William to Mallaig (steam heritage in summer) which crosses the Glenfinnan viaduct and through some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland. The car journey is great as well as you can stop off at various laybys for magical photo opportunities . The road is upgraded now but in my youth was a single track road with passing places . Not for the faint hearted in the early mornings then as the fleet of lorries carrying the early morning fish catch from Mallaig stopped for no one lol. That's lorry drivers for you eh!!!! Morley . :D :lol: :shock:

Regards EW
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I let my HGV licence go about 20 years ago, EW. The worst road in Scotland for lorries was from Stranraer to Gretna. Most of the Irish drivers bring meat to England had souped-up lorries and many would be doing 70 on that road. The ones I drove struggled to do 60 downhill with a full load and a tail wind!

Dave, we went to Strontian about 4 or 5 years ago, and used the ferry. It's beautiful up there and the breakfasts with Iocally produced sausages were the best ever. The chemical element Strontium was named as it was found in the hills there, around 1800 by Humphrey Davy I think.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:29 pm Dave, we went to Strontian about 4 or 5 years ago, and used the ferry. It's beautiful up there and the breakfasts with Iocally produced sausages were the best ever. The chemical element Strontium was named as it was found in the hills there, around 1800 by Humphrey Davy I think.
Yes it's quite a mineral rich areas with barytes (used in barium) mined in the area in the 80's and 90's as well as lead from the 1700's. The mines have over the years opened up periodically when its been economically viable. I don't know when that last occurred and if you look on an ordnance survey map you will see "Shafts (dis)" for disused mine shafts.

The actual place where the sister in law lives is Polloch and to get there from Strontian you turn left from the ferry and then right in Strontian heading north towards Scotstown. Eventually this goes past the lead mine mine itself and by the time you get to the mine it's a track not a road. It then heads west through the forest. You need to keep an eye out for deer running across track and eventually you end up beside Loch Doilet before you reach Polloch. She has just retired from being caretaker for the old forestry commission cabins which were turned into holiday lets when the forestry commission vacated them. Loch Doilet has more or less been their own private loch over the years as it's really quite remote and pretty much deserted out of tourist season (not there are a great many tourists anyway).
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:52 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:29 pm Dave, we went to Strontian about 4 or 5 years ago, and used the ferry. It's beautiful up there and the breakfasts with Iocally produced sausages were the best ever. The chemical element Strontium was named as it was found in the hills there, around 1800 by Humphrey Davy I think.
Yes it's quite a mineral rich areas with barytes (used in barium) mined in the area in the 80's and 90's as well as lead from the 1700's. The mines have over the years opened up periodically when its been economically viable. I don't know when that last occurred and if you look on an ordnance survey map you will see "Shafts (dis)" for disused mine shafts.

The actual place where the sister in law lives is Polloch and to get there from Strontian you turn left from the ferry and then right in Strontian heading north towards Scotstown. Eventually this goes past the lead mine mine itself and by the time you get to the mine it's a track not a road. It then heads west through the forest. You need to keep an eye out for deer running across track and eventually you end up beside Loch Doilet before you reach Polloch. She has just retired from being caretaker for the old forestry commission cabins which were turned into holiday lets when the forestry commission vacated them. Loch Doilet has more or less been their own private loch over the years as it's really quite remote and pretty much deserted out of tourist season (not there are a great many tourists anyway).
Sounds idyllic. If we'd had you description we'd have gone up there. We were on the road to Scotstown, but didn't go much further north.

When we get to a place like Strontian, we tend to walk from there rather than driving around, but would have made an exception in this case.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

With all these great posts I've started thinking about my next trip up just after next Easter, planning another 3 days up to John O'Groats with two nights in Inverness, I've got the route up sorted, Stirling/Perth/Aviemore route, on the 3rd night I'm thinking about staying around the Glasgow area so I'm after a route from Inverness to Glasgow via Balmoral to Pitlochry, need some help with the rest of the route as really want to see some nice scenery and don't want to be stuck on motorways and dual carriageways, the more Lochs, Forests, Glens the better
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

The A78/ A77 costal route from Glasgow to Stranraer is a nice scenic drive . Views of Ailsa Craig and the firth of Clyde . The Mull of Galloway
South of Stranraer is beautiful . Places like Portpatrick an Port Logan (where one thousand acres of sky was filmed. No it wasn't filmed on Skye lol) are really worth a visit . If you had time to go to the very south tip of the Mull of Galloway there is a lighthouse surrounded by stunning cliffs and on a clear day you can see the Isle of Man and the mouth of Belfast Loch.

The downside is although a very scenic road in parts you have to use the A75 to get back to the M74/M6 at Gretna usually with a McBurney refrigerated lorry up your 'arriss for company . You will cover a lot of miles as well but that doesn't seem to bother you lol . Ask Mr Morley for further detail's on the joys of the A75 lol.

Look up Glentrool and Gallowy forrest Park as an alternative visit in that area . The road up to the view point at Glentrool is a one way road with passing places (cul de sac) but when you reach the road end the views are just fabulous.

Ayrshire and Galloway are less well known as the usual places but just as stunning as the rest an we'll worth doing a bit of research before visiting as there is so much to see and admire .

Hope this helps

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 pm With all these great posts I've started thinking about my next trip up just after next Easter, planning another 3 days up to John O'Groats with two nights in Inverness, I've got the route up sorted, Stirling/Perth/Aviemore route, on the 3rd night I'm thinking about staying around the Glasgow area so I'm after a route from Inverness to Glasgow via Balmoral to Pitlochry, need some help with the rest of the route as really want to see some nice scenery and don't want to be stuck on motorways and dual carriageways, the more Lochs, Forests, Glens the better

Leaving Inverness head for Nairn then the A939 to Grantown on Spey then to Bridge of Gairin or B976 to Crathie and on to Balmoral . You are in serious Malt Whisky country in this area and you also go over the infamous Cockbridge to Tomintoul Road which is almost always the first road in the UK to be closed for snow in winter (sometimes summer lol ) passing the Lecht ski resort .

After Balmoral head on to Braemar and take the A93 old military road to Bridge of Cally . This road goes past the Glenshee ski resort and is very scenic. Once at Bridge of Cally at the hotel turn off on to the A924 and that's the back road into Pitlochry .

Check all routes carefully lol don't want you getting lost . I have been that soldier with my love of roads with no name , number , gates , cattle grids and dead ends .

Enjoy

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 pm With all these great posts I've started thinking about my next trip up just after next Easter, planning another 3 days up to John O'Groats with two nights in Inverness, I've got the route up sorted, Stirling/Perth/Aviemore route, on the 3rd night I'm thinking about staying around the Glasgow area so I'm after a route from Inverness to Glasgow via Balmoral to Pitlochry, need some help with the rest of the route as really want to see some nice scenery and don't want to be stuck on motorways and dual carriageways, the more Lochs, Forests, Glens the better
Pitlochry to Glasgow
A9 South to Logierait and tun of on to
A827 to Aberfeldy (Birks of Aberfeldy)
A827 to Kenmore (Loch Tay) and Kilin (Falls of Dochart brilliant when heavy rain)
A85 to Crianlarich then on to
A82 to Glasgow along the Banks of Loch Lomond

If Balmoral and Pitlochry are not priority another route to Glagow from Inverness would be the A82 to Fort William via Loch Ness Loch Lochy and Neptune's staircase at the Mallaig turn off

A830 to Mallaig via Glenfinnan viaduct and back to Fort William. Wonderfull scenic road and terrific rail journeys well . Trains from Fort William or Corpach (Neptune's staircase) . Steam trains run in season but need booked well in advance .
https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobit ... train-trip

A82 South through Ballachulish , Glencoe (spectacular) to Tyndrum, Crianlarich , Loch Lomond and Glasgow

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:28 am
Pitlochry to Glasgow
A9 South to Logierait and tun of on to
A827 to Aberfeldy (Birks of Aberfeldy)
A827 to Kenmore (Loch Tay) and Kilin (Falls of Dochart brilliant when heavy rain)
A85 to Crianlarich then on to
A82 to Glasgow along the Banks of Loch Lomond

If Balmoral and Pitlochry are not priority another route to Glagow from Inverness would be the A82 to Fort William via Loch Ness Loch Lochy and Neptune's staircase at the Mallaig turn off

A830 to Mallaig via Glenfinnan viaduct and back to Fort William. Wonderfull scenic road and terrific rail journeys well . Trains from Fort William or Corpach (Neptune's staircase) . Steam trains run in season but need booked well in advance .
https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobit ... train-trip

A82 South through Ballachulish , Glencoe (spectacular) to Tyndrum, Crianlarich , Loch Lomond and Glasgow

Regards EW
It's got to be the Balmoral to Braemar route, I was looking at Loch Tay then maybe head on to Brig o'Turk and stay over in Paisley, then head back to Millom via Largs, Saltcoats, Kilmarnock, Ayr, Dalmellington, New Galloway, M6, It's not the finished route but any help on places of interest, diversions to more interesting roads etc is welcome
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

If you are in the New Galloway area Glentrool is worth a visit
2002 and EW is hooked