Scotland

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

Scotland

Post by morley pie eater »

Have you ever been to Scotland? (EW excepted of course.) Especially north of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Some of us who have been had an interesting discussion but on the wrong thread - sincere apologies, Josie :oops:

Me and Mrs Morley, a Yorkshire lass, moved to Scotland in 1974 just after we got married. We'd probably have stayed there, but for an imminent birth coinciding with a driving ban in 1977.

Probably the best 3-4 months of my life, certainly work-wise, happened in 1975. I was a lorry driver, and the firm I worked for got a contract to deliver 40 "Portakabins" to a place called Kishorn - on the NW coast just opposite Skye.

Now we lived 30 miles north of Edinburgh, but it was still a full day's journey to get up there with a wide load not really suited to single track roads! So a 6 day week meant only 3 cabins delivered. The 40 trips took over 3 months, but I've often said I'd have worked for nowt.

The route was through Crieff, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Kinlochleven (no bridge at Ballachulish then), Fort William and packed lunch at Spean Bridge watching RAF planes below the commando monument , flying 15 or 20 feet above the water.

Then on through Invergarry and Shiel Bridge towards Kyle of Lochalsh, turning right on single track roads for the remaining 30 miles, which could take 2 hours.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Re: Scotland

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I've been to Edinburgh twice, once in 2016 for my older brothers stag and once again in 2018 for a visit.

I must admit I loved it! X2!

Il hold my hands up fully, I had and still have beliefs that Celtic Nations are not a fan of the English......and not just sports related!

Edinburgh was very beautiful and very cultural and no doubt has gone from strength!

Can't speak for anywhere else in Scotland, but I'd throughly recommend Edinburgh 100%!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Up till the last 18 mo the I'd visit Edinburgh 9 lr 10 times a year,Inverness a couple of times a year as well,love the place and the people.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:33 pm Have you ever been to Scotland? (EW excepted of course.) Especially north of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Some of us who have been had an interesting discussion but on the wrong thread - sincere apologies, Josie :oops:

Me and Mrs Morley, a Yorkshire lass, moved to Scotland in 1974 just after we got married. We'd probably have stayed there, but for an imminent birth coinciding with a driving ban in 1977.

Probably the best 3-4 months of my life, certainly work-wise, happened in 1975. I was a lorry driver, and the firm I worked for got a contract to deliver 40 "Portakabins" to a place called Kishorn - on the NW coast just opposite Skye.

Now we lived 30 miles north of Edinburgh, but it was still a full day's journey to get up there with a wide load not really suited to single track roads! So a 6 day week meant only 3 cabins delivered. The 40 trips took over 3 months, but I've often said I'd have worked for nowt.

The route was through Crieff, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Kinlochleven (no bridge at Ballachulish then), Fort William and packed lunch at Spean Bridge watching RAF planes below the commando monument , flying 15 or 20 feet above the water.

Then on through Invergarry and Shiel Bridge towards Kyle of Lochalsh, turning right on single track roads for the remaining 30 miles, which could take 2 hours.
https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/to ... coast-500/

Edinburgh to Skye by the route you mention Morley is different class . The North 500 is on a different scale as is the drive between Lewis and Harris .

Me you canny beat a walk down Walgate and a pint in the Anvil. :D
2002 and EW is hooked
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:05 pm I've been to Edinburgh twice, once in 2016 for my older brothers stag and once again in 2018 for a visit.

Il hold my hands up fully, I had and still have beliefs that Celtic Nations are not a fan of the English......and not just sports related!

Edinburgh was very beautiful and very cultural and no doubt has gone from strength!

Can't speak for anywhere else in Scotland, but I'd throughly recommend Edinburgh 100%!
We love you all CW especially the peeps from Wigan
2002 and EW is hooked
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:51 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:05 pm I've been to Edinburgh twice, once in 2016 for my older brothers stag and once again in 2018 for a visit.

We love you all CW especially the peeps from Wigan
Me and Mrs made friends for life in our 3 years up there. The Fifers couldn't have been more welcoming.

Ok, you get moaning, miserable people in any town or country (even in Wigan, so I'm told :D ).

Our main problem was learning the language: Mrs Morley worked in a minimarket and, on her first day, got asked for a "half loaf". Baffled, she was told it meant a full loaf.....
Square slice and pink lint followed - and these were on the meat counter!

White pudding suppers were a favourite, but you could always get a fish supper, even at dinner time!!!

Meanwhile, for my first month I thought I was working with a bloke called Jim Block. Turned out it was Jim Black.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Half loaf of plain bread and toast the ootsiders . Canny whack it with melted butter
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Lived in Aberdeen for almost nine years. Loved it I was called a finian barsteward regularly in my local Howff (pub) but it was said with a type of fondness. There was still a bar on Union Street that at the time had just started to allow women in. There were no ladies toilets you had to go to a restaurant up the road if you had to go 😂

Used to drive down to the Saturday or Sunday for home games at Central Park & drive back again. It was over a 760 mile round trip! That was when there weren’t proper motorways after Glasgow usually single track roads or sometimes dual carriageways.
I worked for Aberdeen City Council. As soon as I reached the top of the hill on the dual carriageway at Cove & I looked down at the sparkling Granite City, I always felt “Phew! I’m home’! 😊

Still very good friends with a lot of Aberdonian’s & some Teuchters I could hardly tell what they were saying half the time! Although I did pick up a couple of the Doric words.

Hardly ever used the car in the city as everything was in walking distance, work, shops, bars, restaurants theatre & Aberdeen Beach.

I was even in the live video recording of Rab C Nesbitt’s show at the Aberdeen Music Hall. I was on the front row & was the target of a lot of jokes & innuendos all night. At the end of the show Gregor Fisher came & gave me his ‘bandage’ off his heid & applauded me for being game 😂

I saw the Aurora Borealis regularly (Northern Lights) the most amazing & breathtaking thing I have ever seen.

I loved travelling by car too. Regular trips at the weekend to Balmedie Beach with my Dalmatian who was famous for being one of the puppies in 101 Dalmatians with his litter & along with the another litter, a total of 29 puppies from one breeder.

Anyway there were always regular day trips out to places like Stonehaven, Dunnotar Castle, a fishing village at Cruden Bay, Peterhead, Cullen, Banff, Inverness all over & the most beautiful scenery & countryside. A beautiful trip I did a few times was to the Lin’o’Dee at Braemar, just stunning.

My Dally was also well in with the local ‘polis’ for finding £20,000 worth of uncut heroin in Victoria Park out on one of our regular walks I was with a friend who also had a Dalmatian! 😂 it was hilarious when the local paper, the Press & Journal, came & asked could they run the story with a picture of me with my dog Gus!

I said what about the drug people they'd know who I was. The reporter said put your hood up on your coat it will hide your face, ‘But what about my dog?’ I asked! I only knew of three Dallies in the city mine, his brother Jake, (who had a question mark under his chin in black, my Gus had 3 black spots that looked like Mickey Mouse outline on his shoulder) & my friends dog who just had spots 😂
They still ran the story with a picture & the local pet shop sent a massive marrow bone for Gus 😊

Still have the cutting somewhere & it was even in, as a small article, in the Sun!

Was thrown out of Pittodrie with about 15 Aberdeen Football season ticket holder friends, because I stood up & clapped Ally McCoists 100th goal for Rangers! The polis didna like that. So ended up watching the end of the Challenge Cup game between Wigan & Sheffield Eagles. I was actually wearing Wigan colours at the time, similar to Aberdeen FC colours 😂

Had some daft times could write a bloody book! Some of the things I got up to 😂

Like getting caught on Balmedie beach when the tide came in round the back of me & a stranger had to come & give me a piggy back over the deep pools to safety. For the dog it was nae bother.

Swimming in the North Sea would you believe when we had a very good summer, North Sea is always very very cold unusual to swim in it, also swimming in the River Dee until the local ghillie, (gamekeeper), caught me with the dog as always.

Stopping the traffic in Union St cos the dog wanted a poo & dragged me into the middle of the main road & the traffic had to wait while I cleaned it up!! Never once did that dog do a poo on the pavement always in the road! In fact that Dally was the cleanest, smartest & best dog I’ve ever had!

Some very happy & some sad times. But that’s what life is about. Experiences, some you learn from some you don’t.

When I came back home to Wigan had a few words with some owd fella who told me to “get back to where tha belongs”! I told him I was born on Norley Hall, just up the road, but he didn’t believe me 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Great place, love visiting Scotland, been visiting since the early 80's when my mother took me on a local bus companies mystery tour to Ayr, loved the place, as said in the other thread I've fished all over the SW coast, have just got back from an awesome trip, stopped off at Easan Dubha waterfall in Glen Orchy and several places on the way up to Glen Coe, really love going round "Big Bend" as I call it and stopping off at the top to look over Loch Tulla, made the journey down to Loch Etive, stopped off on the way and was lucky to see 5 or 6 stags, got with 10 feet of them before they ran off, stayed in Fort William 2 nights, drove up to Invermoriston on Loch Ness then straight through to Skye and up to the Old Man of Storr then back via Loch Garry, very nice trip. Last year I visited the awesome city of Edinburgh for the first time, Stayed in Leith, had a view of the Forth bridges from the hotel room, what an awesome place, I ate fish n chips from the Fishmarket oot the back of our Premier Inn on the harbourside with lots of other folk watching the sunset, It don't get much better than that, on the way home we decided to head for Berwick upon Tweed and stumbled across the superb coastal town of Eyemouth, really enjoyed the break we had there eating mr softy ice cream on the front. Planning on doing John O'Groats next year and the North Coast 500 in 2024
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am Great place, love visiting Scotland, been visiting since the early 80's when my mother took me on a local bus companies mystery tour to Ayr, loved the place, as said in the other thread I've fished all over the SW coast, have just got back from an awesome trip, stopped off at Easan Dubha waterfall in Glen Orchy and several places on the way up to Glen Coe, really love going round "Big Bend" as I call it and stopping off at the top to look over Loch Tulla, made the journey down to Loch Etive, stopped off on the way and was lucky to see 5 or 6 stags, got with 10 feet of them before they ran off, stayed in Fort William 2 nights, drove up to Invermoriston on Loch Ness then straight through to Skye and up to the Old Man of Storr then back via Loch Garry, very nice trip. Last year I visited the awesome city of Edinburgh for the first time, Stayed in Leith, had a view of the Forth bridges from the hotel room, what an awesome place, I ate fish n chips from the Fishmarket oot the back of our Premier Inn on the harbourside with lots of other folk watching the sunset, It don't get much better than that, on the way home we decided to head for Berwick upon Tweed and stumbled across the superb coastal town of Eyemouth, really enjoyed the break we had there eating mr softy ice cream on the front. Planning on doing John O'Groats next year and the North Coast 500 in 2024
Brilliant 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan