Scotland

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Scotland

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am Great place, love visiting Scotland, been visiting since the early 80's when my mother took me on a local bus companies mystery tour to Ayr, loved the place, as said in the other thread I've fished all over the SW coast, have just got back from an awesome trip, stopped off at Easan Dubha waterfall in Glen Orchy and several places on the way up to Glen Coe, really love going round "Big Bend" as I call it and stopping off at the top to look over Loch Tulla, made the journey down to Loch Etive, stopped off on the way and was lucky to see 5 or 6 stags, got with 10 feet of them before they ran off, stayed in Fort William 2 nights, drove up to Invermoriston on Loch Ness then straight through to Skye and up to the Old Man of Storr then back via Loch Garry, very nice trip. Last year I visited the awesome city of Edinburgh for the first time, Stayed in Leith, had a view of the Forth bridges from the hotel room, what an awesome place, I ate fish n chips from the Fishmarket oot the back of our Premier Inn on the harbourside with lots of other folk watching the sunset, It don't get much better than that, on the way home we decided to head for Berwick upon Tweed and stumbled across the superb coastal town of Eyemouth, really enjoyed the break we had there eating mr softy ice cream on the front. Planning on doing John O'Groats next year and the North Coast 500 in 2024
If you are ever near Eyemouth again head to a small villages called Coldingham and St Abbs and the nearby Coldingham Bay . Magical places and so close to Edinburgh
2002 and EW is hooked
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I was a "wee bit fear't" of starting this thread, but what wonderful, inspiring posts.

Our first son was due to be born at Forth Park hospital in Kirkcaldy, but unfortunately a driving ban would have isolated us from family (and job), so we moved back south. Things went full circle in 2005 when he married a lovely lass from Blackford in Perthshire, right next door to Glen Eagles golf course.

A recommendation I can't press too strongly - if you're anywhere near East central Scotland (Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth, Stirling), you must spend a day on the Fife coast. Fishing villages that beat anything Cornwall can offer, and not as busy: Crail, Pittenweem, Anstruther (fish & chips obligatory), St Monans (beautiful fisherman's church with model fishing boat and whitewashed walls inside and all on a cliff top looking out to sea), Elie, Lower Largo, Lundin Links.

Lower Largo is the birthplace of Alexander Selkirk the real-life shipwrecked sailor who was the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe. Quite a character in his own right!

If you're cheapskates like us, Wetherspoons have a hotel (The Acorn) in nearby Glenrothes.

Also see Falkland, once Scotland's capital, and see Loch Leven (make sure it's the right one!) on your way back to the M90. Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned on an island there.

Before you go, you may want to practise pronouncing/spelling some of the local place names. Try Kirkcaldy and Kilconqhar for starters.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:24 am
medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am Great place, love visiting Scotland, been visiting since the early 80's when my mother took me on a local bus companies mystery tour to Ayr, loved the place, as said in the other thread I've fished all over the SW coast, have just got back from an awesome trip, stopped off at Easan Dubha waterfall in Glen Orchy and several places on the way up to Glen Coe, really love going round "Big Bend" as I call it and stopping off at the top to look over Loch Tulla, made the journey down to Loch Etive, stopped off on the way and was lucky to see 5 or 6 stags, got with 10 feet of them before they ran off, stayed in Fort William 2 nights, drove up to Invermoriston on Loch Ness then straight through to Skye and up to the Old Man of Storr then back via Loch Garry, very nice trip. Last year I visited the awesome city of Edinburgh for the first time, Stayed in Leith, had a view of the Forth bridges from the hotel room, what an awesome place, I ate fish n chips from the Fishmarket oot the back of our Premier Inn on the harbourside with lots of other folk watching the sunset, It don't get much better than that, on the way home we decided to head for Berwick upon Tweed and stumbled across the superb coastal town of Eyemouth, really enjoyed the break we had there eating mr softy ice cream on the front. Planning on doing John O'Groats next year and the North Coast 500 in 2024
If you are ever near Eyemouth again head to a small villages called Coldingham and St Abbs and the nearby Coldingham Bay . Magical places and so close to Edinburgh
We went through Coldingham, nice little village, never made it to St Abbs, looks good though, will visit if I get up to that area again, we also went through Pease Bay by accident, really nice setting for a caravan park
jobo

Post by jobo »

Have you ever done Tor Point?

You have to trek a couple of miles through the Army shooting range.

I was fishing there about 30 years ago
and wasn't getting a sniff.
Suddenly, a huge whale broke the surface then I realised why there was no fish about.

Nearly pooed myself. 😂😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Morley, one of my dear friends from Aberdeen, with the Dalmatian, lives in Glenrothes, that is where she was from originally 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:02 pm
Have you ever done Tor Point?

You have to trek a couple of miles through the Army shooting range.

I was fishing there about 30 years ago
and wasn't getting a sniff.
Suddenly, a huge whale broke the surface then I realised why there was no fish about.

Nearly pooed myself. 😂😂
No, never fished there, I bet that where proper amazing like, don't see the likes of that happening everyday
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:21 pm Morley, one of my dear friends from Aberdeen, with the Dalmatian, lives in Glenrothes, that is where she was from originally 😊
Josie, if she knew Grubbs' shop (Mace) near the library in the Glenwood centre, that's where Mrs M worked in the mid 70s.

We lived just down the road in Melrose Court, opposite the woods leading to the River Leven and the hippopotamuses!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Superb place and totally blew my mind thr further north you get….. did most of the west and east coast and cant wait to visit the places we missed
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

One of my wife’s sisters lives in the back of beyond there in old in an old forestry commission property on the other side of the mountain from Strontium which is near Fort William.

There is a ferry across the Loch to Strontium and if you miss it, it’s a long detour right around the top of the Lock to Fort William and back down again. It’s not the sort of place you pop for a weekend visit.

In winter the only way to reach them if it snows is down an old forestry commission track and the “postie” not only delivers the mail but supplies in his 4wd.

We were last up there in October 2013 when we combined a visit to a weeks holiday on Skye. Weather was really kind to us and on Skye we stayed in a cottage opposite Portree.

Saw Sea Eagles three of which seemed to having a scrap right over our cottage. Got some photos and the RSPB bloke in Portree said he could tell from the tags (they are quite large tags on the wings) a couple were interlopers from further east possibly contemplating moving to Skye.

Was also lucky enough to see a sea otter. There is a viewing hide in the south of the island near the ferry and while we were there a chap turned up and we pointed out the otter and he said he’d been coming 15 years and had never seen one.

Scenery was stunning. Hiked up to the Old Man of Storr which was fantastic.