Catalans Dragons set to name a staggering fourth major signing

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalans Dragons set to name a staggering fourth major signing

Post by josie andrews »

They’ve already signed Mitchell Pearce, Dylan Napa and Tyrone May, but the Catalans Dragons are not finished there.

That’s according to reports Down Under, which have revealed that a Sydney Roosters forward is also on his way to the south of France – but it may come about for the 2023 Super League season as his contract doesn’t expire until the end of 2022.

NRL Premiership-winning prop Siosiua Taukeiaho is set to make the move, the Daily Telegraph has reported.

Taukeiaho has 11 caps for Tonga to his name and is one of the most skilled front-rowers in rugby league, with a conversion rate of 78 per cent last season and charging for 2745 metres at an average of 130m per game in 2021.

The Tongan prop had been courted by new NRL side Dolphins, with a two-year offer of $600,000 a year failing to convince the 29-year-old to make the move.

Instead, Taukeiaho will be reunited with his former teammate from the Roosters, Mitchell Pearce, who himself has made the move ahead of the 2022 season on a two-year deal.

Pearce will also be joined by former teammate Dylan Napa whose Catalans deal was confirmed last week as well as Tyrone May, whose transfer was made public last night.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/catalans ... ing-46181/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MadMaxWarrior

Re: Catalans Dragons set to name a staggering fourth major signing

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

Are Catalan not bothering sticking to the cap this season
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That’s some side they’re getting together,sod it they’ve got a rich owner let ‘em spend
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:That’s some side they’re getting together,sod it they’ve got a rich owner let ‘em spend
We aren’t in their league under IL in terms of spending power. Ironic that we need a salary cap just like Cas these days.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

MadMaxWarrior wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:25 pm Are Catalan not bothering sticking to the cap this season
They had space on the cap following the departures of Jason Baitieri, Joel Tomkins and James Maloney.

Some side they're assembling especially if they can maintain their form away from home.

And the 4th signing, Taikihieho (sp) isn't until 2023.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 pm
fozzieskem wrote:That’s some side they’re getting together,sod it they’ve got a rich owner let ‘em spend
We aren’t in their league under IL in terms of spending power. Ironic that we need a salary cap just like Cas these days.
Ok wigan aren't I agree spending as Catalan are but it's good to see them spending it may push the quality of super league up which after a couple of duff seasons for most sides its needed.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Absolutely. A strong Catalans side is good for the game in more ways than one.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:03 am Absolutely. A strong Catalans side is good for the game in more ways than one.
As is a strong Wigan, but correct me if we're moving in the opposite direction this last season or three, and this no doubt contributes to SL being dumbed down overall.
Saints big favourites again with the bookies for both SL and CC.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:07 pm
Ok wigan aren't I agree spending as Catalan are but it's good to see them spending it may push the quality of super league up which after a couple of duff seasons for most sides its needed.
It's the quality of Wigan that bothers me. I don't really give a stuff about Les Cats and ultimately if they can attract and afford this standard of player and we can't, we won't be competing with them and that's not good enough.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:42 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:07 pm
It's the quality of Wigan that bothers me. I don't really give a stuff about Les Cats and ultimately if they can attract and afford this standard of player and we can't, we won't be competing with them and that's not good enough.
Season hasn't started and as you have said cap means everyone has the same spending ability.

The difference is South of France vs Wigan
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.