Leigh Centurions sign NRL forward John Asiata

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh Centurions sign NRL forward John Asiata

Post by josie andrews »

LEIGH Centurions have signed vastly experienced and versatile NRL forward John Asiata.

The 28-year-old, who won a grand final with North Queensland Cowboys in 2015, and has played internationals for both Samoa and Tonga.

He is seen as yet another key piece in the Leigh jigsaw as they prepare for a tilt at promotion.

Speaking from his home in Australia, Asiata said: “I just want to say how grateful I am for the opportunity.

It’s been a long and tough couple of months, but I’m excited for this next challenge and the journey ahead with my family and to be part of this proud club.

“To the fans and the sponsors, my message is ‘Be excited!’ 2022 is going to be a great year! I know that the boys are going to be giving it their all and are working hard in training to be the best they can be, to make sure we can put in the performances week in and week out.

“I’m excited to be able to put on the jersey, to represent you all and run out to a loud, cheering crowd.”

Leigh Centurions head of rugby Chris Chester revealed that Asiata signing was a combined effort between him, head coach Adrian Lam, owner Derek Beaumont and other members of the board.

Chester said: “It is not often that such a quality player becomes available on the market.

“Adrian and I found out about John’s availability and acted quickly. There were lots of clubs in the Super League and Championship chasing his signature and so to persuade John that his future lay at Leigh Centurions was a real team effort.

“Adrian, Derek, me and our chairman have all spoken to John in the last two weeks, and what sold the club above all else was what it does in the community and how the club is so family orientated.

“Derek spoke to John at length about the vision of Leigh Centurions and we are really delighted that he has agreed to sign for us.

“John is a really good fit for the club, one of the final pieces in the jigsaw.

“He is primarily a lock but can play halfback or on the edge. He’s got versatility and he’s a good ball player so he will be an excellent link between the forwards and both edges.

John is a really humble and nice guy and he’s big into helping others and the community, so he will love being at our club and living locally.”

Born in Penrith, New South Wales, with a Samoan father and Tongan mother, Asiata was educated at the famous Patrician Brothers’ College in Blacktown, whose alumni of famous sportsmen, particularly Rugby League players, is astonishing.

He came through the junior ranks of Parramatta Eels and then Sydney Roosters, chosen for the National Youth Competition team of the year in 2013 and followed Roosters NYC coach Paul Green when he took over at the Cowboys as head coach in 2014.

In seven seasons with the Cowboys, Asiata played 129 games and was a key member of the grand final winning team in 2015, coming off the bench in their 17-16 golden point win over Brisbane Broncos, the Broncos’ first defeat in seven grand finals. He later played for the Cowboys in their 38-4 victory over Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Championship the following February.

The Cowboys reached the grand final again in 2017 losing to Melbourne Storm, but Asiata was again one of their stand-out players throughout the campaign, ever-present in all 28 games. In 2019 he demonstrated his versatility by starting 12 games in the halves.

When Green left the Cowboys during the 2020 season, Asiata joined Brisbane Broncos for the 2021 season.

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/sport/le ... hn-asiata/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leigh Centurions sign NRL forward John Asiata

Post by josie andrews »

Good Luck to Leigh for next season & beyond 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

According to the Mole, he’s an anti vaxxer so how will that work over here?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 am According to the Mole, he’s an anti vaxxer so how will that work over here?
No idea. Does the RFL have any rules on vaccination of players?

I know in Australia they have low case numbers (just looked 16,633 in total compared to 11 million in the UK). He's coming to a covid hot spot and while he might avoid the virus in Australia due to those low numbers, for his own safety in the UK he needs to get over the anti vax nonsense.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:26 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 am According to the Mole, he’s an anti vaxxer so how will that work over here?

I know in Australia they have low case numbers (just looked 16,633 in total compared to 11 million in the UK). He's coming to a covid hot spot and while he might avoid the virus in Australia due to those low numbers, for his own safety in the UK he needs to get over the anti vax nonsense.
I am all for the vaccination but I respect the right of Asiata to choose otherwise.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm

I am all for the vaccination but I respect the right of Asiata to choose otherwise.
He can do what he likes and I didn't say he couldn't. However I would reiterate that for his own safety in the UK he needs to get over the anti vax nonsense.
PoppaG

Post by PoppaG »

DaveO wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm

He can do what he likes and I didn't say he couldn't. However I would reiterate that for his own safety in the UK he needs to get over the anti vax nonsense.
Don't know, if I'd gone through what he has I probably wouldnt be getting jabbed either
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

PoppaG wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm I am all for the vaccination but I respect the right of Asiata to choose otherwise.
Don't know, if I'd gone through what he has I probably wouldnt be getting jabbed either
What’s he gone through? There are a very small number of people who for medical reasons can’t have it but if this guy was sacked for not having it I doubt he had a legitimate medical reason for not doing so.

It would be crazy for any club or employer to sack anyone who had legitimate medical reason for not getting vaccinated.

As to the case for vaccination not being clear cut as you mentioned in the Luke Thompson thread that is complete nonsense. The science is clear and statistics about who becomes seriously ill and the statistics relating to those who die from covid back this up.

If this player won’t get vaccinated and wants to come to country like ours with 93,000 cases like today he’s nuts. He should stay where he is where case numbers are much lower for his own safety.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

His kid apparently had a bad reaction to a regular vaccination.

Sounds like he’s made an emotional decision rather than educational.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:16 pm His kid apparently had a bad reaction to a regular vaccination.

Sounds like he’s made an emotional decision rather than educational.
If that is the case then his reasons for wanting to take the vaccine are very valid ones it seems to me.