RFL plan to meet French clubs in New Year to discuss tighter entry restrictions

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The French Government have strengthened their criteria over who can enter the country from the UK - and it could impact rugby league

Super League, the Rugby Football League and the sport's two French clubs will meet in the New Year to determine how they proceed with plans for cross-Channel travel in 2022 in the wake of newly strengthened rules for entry to France.

The French Government announced on Thursday that they were tightening criteria for who can enter the country following a surge in cases of the new Covid-19 variant, Omicron, in the UK. From 11pm on Friday, anyone travelling across the Channel to France now needs a 'compelling reason' to enter the country. That includes visiting family, but not tourism or non-urgent work reasons.

Previously, rugby league clubs and other sporting teams have had a special exemption to enter France, but it is understood that would now not apply under the new rules if a club was planning to travel to France. That would create a number of logistical headaches if the rules are in place by the time the new season comes around.

The issue is far more serious and pressing for rugby union, with a number of British clubs due to fly to France to play pool games in the European Champions Cup over the coming weeks.

The RFL told Rugby League Live there is currently no panic over the ruling, with the view that the rules are likely to change again by the time the Super League season starts in mid-February. However, a meeting has been arranged for the New Year where the logistics will be discussed with both Catalans and newly-promoted Toulouse if it looks as though tighter rules will remain in place.

Catalans had previously said in the run-up to the restarted 2020 season that they were considering relocating to England at a time when rules were strict and vaccines against Covid-19 had not yet been developed. They eventually played their home games in Perpignan as planned, but the new rules cause a headache for the sport as the new season approaches.

However, it has been stressed that as things stand, there is a sense of relaxation over the changes to the rules due to the fact there is still just under two months to go until the new season starts.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-22482169
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Be interesting to see if they allow entry only to those players vaccinated along with a negative test. I ready somewhere doubts were being cast on the validity of taking a PCR test because by the time the results got back you could have caught Omicron in the meantime rendering the test useless so it would not surprise me if they insist on vaccination. I guess we will find out when RU starts.
josie andrews

Re: RFL plan to meet French clubs in New Year to discuss tighter entry restrictions

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm Be interesting to see if they allow entry only to those players vaccinated along with a negative test. I ready somewhere doubts were being cast on the validity of taking a PCR test because by the time the results got back you could have caught Omicron in the meantime rendering the test useless so it would not surprise me if they insist on vaccination. I guess we will find out when RU starts.
I had a PCR test on a Friday afternoon & was emailed & texted the result on Saturday morning.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: RFL plan to meet French clubs in New Year to discuss tighter entry restrictions

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:11 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm Be interesting to see if they allow entry only to those players vaccinated along with a negative test. I ready somewhere doubts were being cast on the validity of taking a PCR test because by the time the results got back you could have caught Omicron in the meantime rendering the test useless so it would not surprise me if they insist on vaccination. I guess we will find out when RU starts.
I had a PCR test on a Friday afternoon & was emailed & texted the result on Saturday morning.
My sister had one at 8am Thursday morning by 7pm she’d had the bad news back she’d tested positive still at least it was quick in its response