And you think RL is struggling . . . ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: And you think RL is struggling . . . ?

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 pm
blindsideprop wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm
PJC wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 pm Tv analysis. Wells has a lot of knowledge. He knows his stuff. However I get bored with such detail. I think that today’s game is overthought, over prepared.
I would prefer the discussion to be showing clips of long distanced tries. A centre feeding his winger . A move long gone a stand off breaking from the scrum.
Emphasis on defence, which I happily admit has very much improved, prevents the above.
Does he really know his stuff?,he was a third rate winger with Cas and London,I get sick of ex players explaining where others that are a class above are going wrong and what they should have done.I do agree that the game is overthought and and defences have improved making RL less attractive to watch.
Andy Greg was a top, top player, but does that make him, y'know, a good commentator, y'know, or analyst, y'know?

What Jon Wells did as a player, and what he wears are irrelevant to how he does his job. For me he's the best on Sky: Phil Clarke is intelligent but boring, Carney thinks he's good, Tez and Baz are mildly entertaining but the banter wears thin over time.

The surprise for me is Bill Arthur, in that you don't notice him, which is good compared to Eddie, Stevo etc, who became the show.

And how many top coaches were top players? There's as many that weren't as were. I think analysis and coaching are different skills to playing and to one another. You *can* be a great player and coach, but you don't have to have been a great player to be a great analyst.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
PJC

Post by PJC »

Successful coaching is down to knowledge but just as important are communication and motivational skills. Two ex Wigan greats who have this in abundance are Farrell and Edwards. Take a look at some of Farrell’s speeches on YouTube . A pity that they are coaching in Union.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Every one has their own opinions and are entitled to them, however presentation and appearance are important to showcase our game.Wells does nothing for that by his scruffy appearance and imo his confusing explanations of what happened and what should happen.He is of course is not the only one , Barry and Terry are clowns, Clarkey boring and Bill Arthur gets everybodys name wrong.As I previously said this is not the only reason RU is more popular than league but is a contributing factor.Just my opinionand some will agree, some not but I will lose no sleep over that.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Sky's coverage is awful, and I agree Wells is by far the best of a poor bunch. The contrast with the professionalism with which RU ts marketed, both by the BBC and others (Channel 5?) is stark.

Really hoping that Channel Four can showcase our sport more effectively.