RFL makes decisions on scrums, hefty forfeits for cancelled games and restrictions on players travelling to France

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL makes decisions on scrums, hefty forfeits for cancelled games and restrictions on players travelling to France

Post by josie andrews »

Following meetings with clubs from Betfred Super League, Championship and League One today, the RFL has confirmed the return of scrums for the 2022 season in all competitions.

The RFL Laws Committee recommended the return of scrums for the 2022 season at their December meeting, provided 85% of players across the Betfred Super League and Championship competitions which kick off in the coming weeks had been double vaccinated.

Considering the recommendations later in December, the RFL Board deferred a final decision until January, to allow more time for vaccination rates to increase, and to assess the impact of the Omicron variant.

The 85% threshold has now been reached across Super League and the Championship. Other relevant factors include the increases in knowledge regarding the impact of the Omicron variant since December, reduced isolation periods for close contacts, and the views of clubs and other key stakeholders.

The Board have therefore accepted a recommendation from the RFL Executive for scrums to return – in all competitions, starting next weekend (29-31 January) in Round One fixtures in the Betfred Championship and the Second Round of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

This will also apply across the Community Game.

The decision has been taken mindful of potential risks – but against the backdrop of the wider landscape relating to Covid and the de-regulation of Government rules relating to Covid.

The meetings also provided a final opportunity for clubs to input into the changes to the Covid fixture framework to apply in the 2022 Season: this will now go to the RFL Board for final sign-off.

As previously advised it is envisaged that the Covid framework under which league positions were determined by win points percentage in the 2020 and 2021 seasons will be replaced, and that any team unable to fulfil a fixture will forfeit the match with a 48-0 scoreline – save in exceptional circumstances to be determined by the RFL Board, which would include a club being unable to play a match due to being required to shut down by either the RFL’s Multiple Case Group or Public Health England.

The meeting of Betfred Super League clubs also discussed recent developments related to travel between France and the UK, and their likely effects on the ability of unvaccinated players to participate in fixtures involving Catalans Dragons and Toulouse Olympique in France.

With three weeks remaining until the French clubs play their first matches against UK opposition in the 2022 season, the matter will be kept under review.

Note – Scrums were suspended from all levels of Rugby League in the UK following a recommendation from the Laws Committee for the restart of the 2020 season in July, to minimise the risk of positive cases of Covid-19 being transmitted, or of players being forced to isolate as close contacts and therefore missing subsequent fixtures.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rfl-make ... nce-47928/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: RFL makes decisions on scrums, hefty forfeits for cancelled games and restrictions on players travelling to France

Post by Mike »

save in exceptional circumstances
i.e. if Saints won the cup?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Re: RFL makes decisions on scrums, hefty forfeits for cancelled games and restrictions on players travelling to France

Post by fozzieskem »

I didn't think I would but I've really missed scrums
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I was supprised that I actually didn't really notice them being gone. They are a little odd when describing what's going on to a newbie - "the rules don't really count here, by convention stright means any direction between these peoples outer legs..."
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm I didn't think I would but I've really missed scrums
What have you missed about scrums?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

blindsideprop wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm I didn't think I would but I've really missed scrums
What have you missed about scrums?
I like the fact that a scrum took place almost where the offence or the ball went out of play. With the rule without scrums the ball was taken to the middle of the pitch where the ball went out etc
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Should lead to a more attacking game, with 6 forwards tied up it gives more room and space for the backs to attack, show their paces and get more variety of play. With the Covid rules, there was always a full defensive line which inevitably just led to pointless drive one after another.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:51 pm Should lead to a more attacking game, with 6 forwards tied up it gives more room and space for the backs to attack, show their paces and get more variety of play. With the Covid rules, there was always a full defensive line which inevitably just led to pointless drive one after another.
I think there are plenty "pointless drives" with or without scrums!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:51 pm Should lead to a more attacking game, with 6 forwards tied up it gives more room and space for the backs to attack, show their paces and get more variety of play. With the Covid rules, there was always a full defensive line which inevitably just led to pointless drive one after another.
I think there are plenty "pointless drives" with or without scrums!
And where we've been more guilty than most ! :(