RFL to introduce green card to stop games being slowed down

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL to introduce green card to stop games being slowed down

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL has introduced a green card ahead of the new 2022 rugby league season.

That green card will essentially remove a player from play for two minutes if they need play to be stopped for on-field medical treatment.

Not only that, but RFL Director Karen Moorhouse has called on all clubs to fulfil all fixtures in 2022.

Journalist, The Game Caller, revealed this from the RFL Operations Briefing this afternoon: “RFL Director Karen Moorhouse says that she fully expects all clubs to fulfil all fixtures in 2022. To protect the integrity of the competitions, if a club can’t fulfil a fixture, they will forfeit the game with a 48-0 loss and face a compliance investigation into the forfeiture.”

“There will also be financial compensation awarded to the home club if the away team fails to fulfil the fixture. The increase in awarding a 48-0 result (it was 24-0 last year) to the side affected by the forfeiture is to stop clubs from abusing the system.”

Former Super League full-time referee and now Director of Operations Robert Hicks explained how there will be a major crackdown on players that engage in punching, kicking or headbutting in a bid to protect players.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rfl-intr ... ard-48276/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: RFL to introduce green card to stop games being slowed down

Post by Mike »

How does this work exactly?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Nobody knows, refs will all interpret the rule differently.
Charriots Offiah

From what I can glean, if a player goes down injured when his side are faced with a drop out then unless the referee considers it to be a serious injury then he can issue the player with a green card which will remove him from the field of play for two minutes. If the player has a head injury then he will have to leave the pitch immediately and be assessed. Obviously, if the referee deems it to be a genuine and serious injury then he can stop the game.

I am willing to be corrected about any of this.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

That all makes sense, Charriots, but I can't help thinking

a) Is this really such a problem that a rule-change is proportionate and necessary, and

b) Even if it is, it's placing refs in a difficult position, and it's likely to annoy as many as it pleases.
Charriots Offiah

moto748 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:06 am That all makes sense, Charriots, but I can't help thinking

a) Is this really such a problem that a rule-change is proportionate and necessary, and

b) Even if it is, it's placing refs in a difficult position, and it's likely to annoy as many as it pleases.
Very true. I suppose we will only be able to judge whether it is a success when we have seen it in practice.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

More likely, like the 20/40 kick, it'll be something that just doesn't happen! :D
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Listening to Bilko yesterday I like it. If you go off the field on a green card from the ref you cannot be replaced so your team is down to 12 players until you go back on. Should stop Jonnie Lomax going down regularly when Staines are under pressure in their 20 metre zone.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

It the green card had been in place last year when we played Huddersfield they would never have had more than ten players on the field at any one time. That was the worst display of time wasting I have ever seen in my life. They were a disgrace.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:15 pm Listening to Bilko yesterday I like it. If you go off the field on a green card from the ref you cannot be replaced so your team is down to 12 players until you go back on. Should stop Jonnie Lomax going down regularly when Staines are under pressure in their 20 metre zone.
I’m glad someone else sees this regular occurrence from this overrated, IMO, player!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan