Warrington issue long-term bans to fans who abused Josh Charnley on social media

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Warrington issue long-term bans to fans who abused Josh Charnley on social media

Post by josie andrews »

The Wolves have condemned the abuse sent to Charnley after last Friday's loss to Hull KR

Warrington Wolves say they have handed long-term bans to two supporters who were involved in sending social media abuse to winger Josh Charnley in the wake of last week's defeat at Hull Kingston Rovers.

The Wolves say that an 18-year-old male and a 21-year-old female have been banned with immediate effect after Charnley was subjected to abuse on social media after the Wolves were beaten in Hull.

They said Charnley was 'understandably affected' by the comments, but the winger has arranged an 'amicable meeting' with the male supporter in question, while the female has also had an offer extended to attend as well.

Warrington said: "Warrington Wolves strongly condemns the vile social media abuse directed at winger Josh Charnley following our Betfred Super League fixture against Hull

The abhorrent threats are completely unacceptable and subsequent long-term bans have been issued to an 18-year-old male and 21-year-old female.

As a club we are all disappointed and hurting from recent results and performances but there is a line that must never be crossed when targeting our players and staff online. They are human beings, with families who also see and suffer from the abuse.

"The club are fully supportive of Josh who has understandably been affected by the comments. Following discussions with the RFL, as part of their 'Tackle It' campaign, an amicable meeting has been arranged with Josh and the male involved, who has subsequently expressed to the club and player his deep regret with his actions."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warrington issue long-term bans to fans who abused Josh Charnley on social media

Post by josie andrews »

The threats & comments made by these two was disgusting & should not be tolerated!

This is what I hate most about social media & why I hardly use it now.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Nezza Faz

Re: Warrington issue long-term bans to fans who abused Josh Charnley on social media

Post by Nezza Faz »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:57 pm The threats & comments made by these two was disgusting & should not be tolerated!

This is what I hate most about social media & why I hardly use it now.
Yes, nobody in any workplace deserves what he said in that post (surprised it wasn't taken down !).
And Josh always gave us 100% and am sure the same at W'ton too.
Don't need this in RL, especially.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Josh Charnley: Warrington Wolves winger meets fan who sent death threat on social media

Warrington Wolves winger Josh Charnley has said he was "shocked" to be sent a death threat on social media.

Warrington gave the man a long-term ban, saying they "strongly condemned" the message.

Charnley recently met with the person who sent him the message as part of the Rugby Football League's 'Tackle It' campaign and accepted their apology.

"You could see he was shaking, he felt embarrassed about it," Charnley told BBC Breakfast.

"He wouldn't have said that to me in that room, no chance. If you can meet them then you can get your point across and hopefully they'll take that on the chin."

The 30-year-old added: "I don't know why I was targeted. It wasn't nice to see and I don't want to be getting comments like that and my family thinking I'm in danger.

"It shocked me at first. We don't go out there every week to get beat."

The message, along with another from a woman who also received a "long-term" ban from the club, were sent during Warrington's defeat by Hull KR last month.

Charnley's wife Zoe said she found the message "worrying".

"Sometimes I think fans forget that they are human and they've got lives as well. They don't see what we see at home," she said.

"I feel like it's always been there but it's a lot easier for people to put it out there because of social media.

"It makes you worried because you don't now these people, we've never met this person, we don't know if he's going to do anything about these threats. It's not nice for Josh's parents."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61280350
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I'm not aware of what the comments posted were, if it was match related and not personal, fans need to remember 17 players comprise a matchday team! Personal attacks are never justified!

Regarding social media, it is more trouble than its worth! this forum and WhatsApp are as social media fluent i am :lol:

Seen an article today stating Charnley has met one of the mentioned offenders, credit to him for that!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:17 am I'm not aware of what the comments posted were, if it was match related and not personal, fans need to remember 17 players comprise a matchday team! Personal attacks are never justified!

Regarding social media, it is more trouble than its worth! this forum and WhatsApp are as social media fluent i am :lol:

Seen an article today stating Charnley has met one of the mentioned offenders, credit to him for that!
this is so true. i have two young daughters, and social media is a nightmare. Luckily, they know who they are connected to, but so many out there that will just accept friend invites from anyone / anything, when i speak to my youngest especially about some of her friends

the other element is that you can be completely anonymous and hence can get away with so much more than you would say to a person face to face. How the big social media companies can get away with allowing accounts to be created without validating name, email addresses etc is beyond me, but they do and i dont think the government have any appetite to challenge or change that (i appreciate that most are global companies and our country alone wouldnt change them)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:17 am I'm not aware of what the comments posted were, if it was match related and not personal, fans need to remember 17 players comprise a matchday team! Personal attacks are never justified!

Yes, the post above this 😉😉
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:49 am

this is so true. i have two young daughters, and social media is a nightmare. Luckily, they know who they are connected to, but so many out there that will just accept friend invites from anyone / anything, when i speak to my youngest especially about some of her friends

the other element is that you can be completely anonymous and hence can get away with so much more than you would say to a person face to face. How the big social media companies can get away with allowing accounts to be created without validating name, email addresses etc is beyond me, but they do and i dont think the government have any appetite to challenge or change that (i appreciate that most are global companies and our country alone wouldnt change them)
I only use FB on game day to wish the team Good Luck. I do use Twitter mainly reading the Warriors page & a few others, reply when needed.

I never hide behind an alias! What you see with me is what you get, if I’ve something to say I say it 😊
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike Tyson said it best

"Social media made y'all way to comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I use Facebook,only rarely usually as a tool to help my memory struggles and as a one stop shop for news,sport etc,I prefer coming here to discuss things as,for the most part have a pretty good debate about things,twitter is an utter cesspit it seems to me I can’t see it’s more money then sense new owner changing things either.