Salford Red Devils set the ball rolling for stunning stadium and club takeover

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Salford Red Devils set the ball rolling for stunning stadium and club takeover

Post by josie andrews »

Following recent news reports regarding a proposal to purchase the AJ Bell Stadium, Salford Red Devils board of directors met this week with local business owner Sebastian Gerrard to discuss plans.

The proposal to the council is in its early stages, however, Sebastian would like to buy the AJ Bell stadium and secure it as the home of the Red Devils, furthermore, he has expressed his interest in potentially investing in the club to secure its status at the elite level of Super League.

Salford Red Devils Managing Director Paul King commented on the discussions;

“It’s no secret that Salford Red Devils operate without a benefactor in Super League and with that a much leaner financial situation. Further investment would unlock potential as an elite sports organisation in the Salford and Greater Manchester region. I welcome these talks, especially as Salford Red Devils is a community club, when business owners like Sebastian are local. Personally, I wish Sebastian every success with the proposal as it is further evidence that rugby league is a valued asset to this region.’’

The AJ Bell Stadium has been the home of Salford Red Devils rugby league team for ten years. With a second local team Swinton Lions already using the stadium facilities, it is playing an important role in community rugby league within the region. A potential stadium move has been on the agenda for Salford Red Devils, but there will be no changes for the remainder of this season or the 2023 season. Season ticket holders and fans can expect to remain at the AJ Bell Stadium for the near future.

Further updates on this ongoing situation will be provided by the club, but there is no further comment at this stage.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/salford- ... ver-53650/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Salford Red Devils set the ball rolling for stunning stadium and club takeover

Post by fozzieskem »

I genuinely hope this comes off,far too often RL clubs are treated as second class citizens
the pieman

Re: Salford Red Devils set the ball rolling for stunning stadium and club takeover

Post by the pieman »

hope it comes off. i've not opened the article but in the summary no mention of Sale Sharks who i thought were going to buy the stadium with Salford City(or had already bought it), and thats why Salford were looking to play elsewhere?

If Salford do buy it, fair play, and lets put RL 1st before the other sports

They have such a large opportunity / catchment area, but you cant feel that they have failed miserably to attract new fans to the game from the Manchester area over the years
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

The last I had seen anywhere in regards to the stadium was that Salford City FC and Sale Sharks were buying the AJ Bell & Salford Red Devils were moving to the Peninsula Stadium, I think the link was posted on here at the beginning of the year
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I hope they do get investment, and do get a good staduim, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the AJ Bell. Is in a terrible place to get in and out of.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Mike wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:38 pm I hope they do get investment, and do get a good staduim, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the AJ Bell. Is in a terrible place to get in and out of.
Do you not think the good Doctor is in the background somewhere for this he wants to buy the stadium when he was in charge and refused. Thought Sale and Salford City had already bought the stadium and kicking Salford out?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:38 pm I hope they do get investment, and do get a good staduim, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the AJ Bell. Is in a terrible place to get in and out of.
i'm assuming the link rd never got built - not been for last few years

i used to park over near Eccles and walk across. Took about 15-20 minutes, but got away from traffic no issues