Michael McIlorum future update as he discusses returning to finish career in England

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Michael McIlorum future update as he discusses returning to finish career in England

Post by josie andrews »

The hooker's contract expires at Catalans later this year.

Michael McIlorum is set to remain a Catalans Dragons player in 2023. The hooker will make his return to international rugby this weekend after earning a first England cap in nine years, a reward for his impressive form in 2022.

The 34-year-old is out of contract in the south of France at the end of this season having spent five years with the Dragons. However, he has poured cold water on returning to England to finish his career, saying there is 'no amount of money' that could tempt him to leave France.

Rugby League Live understands that Elite 1 clubs have been in touch with McIlorum about a move to the French competition next year but instead, McIlorum will almost certainly re-sign with Catalans after revealing he has held talks with the club's hierarchy over an extension that will involve him taking his first steps into coaching.

"I'll finish in France, 100 per cent," he said. "There's no amount of money that would make me come back over here now. I'm settled there, I want to retire out there and hopefully spend the rest of my life out there in France.

"I've spoke to Steve (McNamara) and Bernard (Guasch), they're keen for me to play on and potentially do some coaching too so I'm just waiting for a solid offer. I want to stay at the club and hopefully that can get sorted in the near future."

McIlorum admitted that with his family settled and him keen to remain in France beyond his playing career, he sees no reason to entertain the prospect of a move back to England.

"It's a great way of life, I love it just as much when I moved there and it doesn't get boring," he said. "I love the lifestyle, I love the culture and hopefully it continues.

"I'm not too sure what Catalans have in mind regarding the coaching side of things but it'll be good to get a taste for it and if I do hopefully I can continue on that path."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... t-24224233
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan