Saints under the cosh

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: Saints under the cosh

Post by Firestarter »

Well thats cured my post holiday depression hahahah well in salford
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Can't even use the injury excuse Salford only had 18 fit players
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pm Can't even use the injury excuse Salford only had 18 fit players
They are trying to 😂
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Just goes to show, turn up with the right mentality and anything is possible! Not massively surprised Salford won at home V Stains, the healthy score line makes perfect reading!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Burgess' savage swipe at Jon Wilkin after Salford Red Devils destroy St Helens

The Red Devils winger clearly has the words of the Sky Sports pundit still fresh in his memory after he talked down their play-off hopes.

Joe Burgess couldn't resist taking a dig at Jon Wilkin after Salford Red Devils put his former club St Helens to the sword. The Reds regained their place in the top six with a stunning 44-12 victory over the Super League champions, giving their play-off hopes a huge boost.

Their latest win comes weeks after Wilkin rubbished their play-off aspirations. Speaking last month, the now Sky Sports pundit said: "It's a big end to the season for Salford but I just don't think they have the minerals to get it done."

Since then, Salford have picked up wins over both Catalans and St Helens, last year's two Grand Finalists, and are on course for a top-six finish.

Following the game, Burgess told the media: "It's really enjoyable at the minute. I've been repeating myself all year how good a set of lads it is. To do that against St Helens just shows one to 17 have a massive set of minerals."

The comment resulted in an eruption of laughter in the media room before the press conference continued.

On the performance, head coach Paul Rowley added: "It's an amazing effort first and foremost and without sounding casual about it, what I will say is you get rewarded for hard work and from day one they've worked really hard and things like that aren't just a fluke. It's a culmination of hard work.

"It's a well-rehearsed effort and character again is never questioned among the group. I'm just really pleased for the players, our 18th man had a job to warm up, we trained with 16 all week.

We knew the areas we wanted to go. Everyone has their flaws and we didn't do too bad against them last time so wasn't too much change from that blueprint we took there. What I will say about this group is they learn and adapt. They did that and took it a step further. We scored some fantastic tries, the best one maybe that Ken Sio transition to Dan Sarginson, to Tim Lafai to Brodie Croft.

"It's right up there because we have so much respect for St Helens. We hold them in high regard, they are the benchmark. The manner of the win is certainly very memorable and won't be forgotten in a rush."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-24635675
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Listened to the match and Salford according to the commentators said that Salford played on the edges and not down the middle.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

My mate said they attacked Hurrell and Bennison for fun.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 pm My mate said they attacked Hurrell and Bennison for fun.
Listening to the game Tim Lafai ran rings round Hurrell & kept him quiet until he was taken off. Salford only named an 18 man squad they were so depleted with injuries & give Jack Dearden his due he emphasised this several times during the game as saints had a couple missing & that would be picked up on, especially if it was on Sky!

Dan Sarginson played his first game since March & played very well from the commentary. Budgie also had a great game, but it was a great team performance.

I know it helped us a little bit on the table, but I’ve always got a soft spot for Salford 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Who do Saints have out at the minute?

Last few years they have been unstoppable, there is no denying what they have achieved.

But their squads don’t always look as good beyond the 17 as ours and that always carries a risk. They don’t seem to have had many injury crisis like us and other teams.

Maybe that’s starting to show now.

They’re still the team to beat and favourites for the grand final no doubt but some cracks and dips in form are starting to show.

Still 4/5 games until the play offs so probably the best time for it to happen for them.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just watching the brief highlights on TSLS, Salford did score some lovely tries, they obviously defended well, and looked very sharp in attack.