Why Super League play-offs will have different dynamic in 2022

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Why Super League play-offs will have different dynamic in 2022

Post by josie andrews »

The 2022 Super League play-offs are fast approaching with only four rounds of the regular season remaining.

An earlier start for the rescheduled World Cup has had a knock-on effect in the shape of a first September Grand Final.

That means the play-offs will begin two weeks earlier than last year with the first eliminator scheduled for Friday, September 9.

But the biggest change is two lunchtime kick-offs in front of the Channel 4 cameras.

The play-offs will begin as usual under the lights on Sky Sports before a 12.30pm start for the second eliminator on Saturday, September 10.

The winners of the first semi-final on September 16 will not have to wait long to discover their Grand Final opponents.

Channel 4 is scheduled to broadcast another lunchtime kick-off the following day, which could present a different kind of challenge.

For teams used to playing do-or-die play-off games under the lights in autumnal conditions, a different approach may be required, certainly in terms of preparation.

It will feel more like a Challenge Cup semi-final, only this time a defeat would spell the end of the season.

The format for the play-offs remains the same with third pitted against sixth and fourth facing fifth in the eliminators.

After a well-earned rest, the table-toppers will host the lowest-ranked team for a place in the Grand Final against the winners of the other semi-final between the runners-up and the highest-ranked side from week one.

St Helens need three more points to wrap up the League Leaders' Shield, while Wigan Warriors are in the box seat to claim second spot.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... 22-3805802
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Why Super League play-offs will have different dynamic in 2022

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If we want Rugby League to survive/improve this format HAS to change

The playoffs has destroyed the meaning of the league and it undermines the entire sport and the need for a season ticket for fans outside the core fan base.

Im not going to create a massive post listing everything thats wrong with the system and why it devalues the league so much but put it this way

Leeds are currently sat in 6th - they had around a 50% points return for the matches theyve played in
compare to football the biggest sport of all (therefore one we should learn from)
Last season Manchester United also finished 6th in the league they also had a points return ratio of around 50%

Imagine explaining to a football fan that in rugby league Leeds could still be champions its the equivalent of at the end of last season after the league ended Manchester United playing 3 additional games and be crowned champions over Liverpool/City

The standards liverpool and City have set in football is outstanding and its dragged non football fans like myself into the sport because you know every game counts - even now liverpool by drawing their first match have dented their title hopes

rugby league on the other hand would rather dumb the league down so the clubs that have had seasons of utter tosh can still be champions if you can string 3 games together at the end
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

It doesn't help that half the teams in the league can be champions after all the league games are done. I've always said the playoffs should be huge occasions

1st plays 4th Friday night
2nd plays 3rd Satueday night

Both games at neutral venues after a week break from the league then the grand final the week after
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:56 pm If we want Rugby League to survive/improve this format HAS to change

The playoffs has destroyed the meaning of the league and it undermines the entire sport and the need for a season ticket for fans outside the core fan base.

Im not going to create a massive post listing everything thats wrong with the system and why it devalues the league so much but put it this way

Leeds are currently sat in 6th - they had around a 50% points return for the matches theyve played in
compare to football the biggest sport of all (therefore one we should learn from)
Last season Manchester United also finished 6th in the league they also had a points return ratio of around 50%

Imagine explaining to a football fan that in rugby league Leeds could still be champions its the equivalent of at the end of last season after the league ended Manchester United playing 3 additional games and be crowned champions over Liverpool/City

The standards liverpool and City have set in football is outstanding and its dragged non football fans like myself into the sport because you know every game counts - even now liverpool by drawing their first match have dented their title hopes

rugby league on the other hand would rather dumb the league down so the clubs that have had seasons of utter tosh can still be champions if you can string 3 games together at the end
I agree, it did it, for me anyway, the year Leeds won it from 4th! If you come 1st at the end of the season that team are the champions.

If they have to have it it should be no more that the top three teams competing IMO

Preferably, to me anyway, it should just be first play second!! That’s it, season over!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

1 plays 2 for for the Trophy, Champions/Premiers

Loser plays 3rd for Minor Premiers/ Runner up trophy

Do away with the silly play offs
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:47 pm 1 plays 2 for for the Trophy, Champions/Premiers

Loser plays 3rd for Minor Premiers/ Runner up trophy

Do away with the silly play offs
That’s probably what I meant 😉 I don’t watch the NRL anymore ☹️
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I think whoever comes first should go straight to grand final second then plays third to decide opponent
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Lots of different views of how the playoffs should be, however I think we all agree the idea of someone having such a poor season as to come bang in the middle of the pack and still be classed as champions is ridiculous.

I get that they want to make the grand final the absolute penultimate for the season, however the problem there becomes the devaluation of regular season games.

Yesterday for instance. It's not great to lose, but with how unimportant it actually is to win the LLS it really isn't all that important to go all in every game. This point of the season is really about consolidating second, trying to manage players form and fitness to run up to the playoffs, which absolutely devalues a good chunk of games
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

[*]
cherry toffee wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:29 pm I think whoever comes first should go straight to grand final second then plays third to decide opponent
This I agree with,ridiculous that the comps champions could get knocked out before the grand final.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

They should use points difference to make it more challenging for anyone outside the top two.

From 3-6 if you qualify for the final you start with a negative points, based on the difference between the two finalists.

Work out some ratio or based on 3rd -6th and put a maximum cap so it's not a stupid amount. Should lead to a more attack mined final for the bottom team and reward the better teams.

I can't think of any other sports where this is done - well and truly groundbreaking ! 😄