Why Super League play-offs will have different dynamic in 2022

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
archiekeith

Re: Why Super League play-offs will have different dynamic in 2022

Post by archiekeith »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:03 pm Fair enough, but are you in a vocal minority, or is there a majority for change here?

Can you explain, why the SL and all its clubs have decided to keep the playoffs every time they've discussed competition structure despite your belief that their fans prefer a first past the post system? Is it the poor clubs wanting a route to victory; financial advantages; SKY insisting, or what?
I can't explain why theSL came to the decision they did. I don't wish to speculate on their rationale. I don't know what criteria for their decision.
Similarly,I don't know if it's merely a local minority for a change of
format what I do know is the dichotomy of my own opinion ,as a supporter of RL in relation to SL's. Perhaps the SL can explain their rationale if they so wished. Your guess is as good as mine
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

archiekeith wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:03 pm Fair enough, but are you in a vocal minority, or is there a majority for change here?

Can you explain, why the SL and all its clubs have decided to keep the playoffs every time they've discussed competition structure despite your belief that their fans prefer a first past the post system? Is it the poor clubs wanting a route to victory; financial advantages; SKY insisting, or what?
I can't explain why theSL came to the decision they did. I don't wish to speculate on their rationale. I don't know what criteria for their decision.
format what I do know is the dichotomy of my own opinion ,as a supporter of RL in relation to SL's. Perhaps the SL can explain their rationale if they so wished. Your guess is as good as mine
I'd guess its a combination of the desire of the broadcaster to have a big event at the end of the season, and an opinion that it's good for the clubs financially. If there is a financial element to the strcuture that must be based on the opinion that its a popular structure overall (or at least more popular than the alternatives). As you said though, these are just guesses that I'm basing on watching the behaviour of SL, not based on any real knowledge.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:51 pm
archiekeith wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm

I'd guess its a combination of the desire of the broadcaster to have a big event at the end of the season, and an opinion that it's good for the clubs financially. If there is a financial element to the strcuture that must be based on the opinion that its a popular structure overall (or at least more popular than the alternatives). As you said though, these are just guesses that I'm basing on watching the behaviour of SL, not based on any real knowledge.
Sky are the driving force behind the decision IMO because they have nothing to gain by you attending the regular season matches - in fact they would prefer everyone to watch the games on Sky. The model is Americanised to try and add drama

My guess is they dont (or didnt) believe that the league was strong enough to provide a meaningful spectacle on its own - they could be right but there have been more differing winners of the LLS than the GF

Clubs im guessing are in favour too - i mean look at leeds - echo's of Man Utd - but instead of having a down trodden fanbase because of how poor they were - they actually can still win if they string a bit of form together so it papers over the cracks

I like the GF as a Spectacle but i think there are other ways to achieve that- why not have CC winner vs League winner after the season end 2 weeks after the season end, if its the same team then 2nd in league play runners up in CC for the other slot the week after the end of the league.

Even with my stand point i understand that its almost impossible to understand what it would be like as you cant base it on the league now as the league now is played with different intent and meaning due to the playoffs.

I also think there is an issue with having cross purpose league structures like we have - because relegation is real for the clubs at the bottom, but saints for example have already done their job, they will go into the games leading up to the play offs now probably understrength but how is that fair on the teams battling relegation?

I know a lot of people who only tune in for the play-offs now and the odd big game or event like magic, and i just dont see how having a glorified pre-season for a league will draw fans in
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure