One thing the rule makers got right

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

One thing the rule makers got right

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We complain a lot about crap rules in rugby league but how good was the idea to make the corner flag not in touch

The tries we see now on the corner as a result are spectacular
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ian.birchall

Re: One thing the rule makers got right

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:13 am We complain a lot about crap rules in rugby league but how good was the idea to make the corner flag not in touch

And the 40-20 kick we continue with even though the Aussies scrapped it. Does this last bit mean it has been scrapped under international rules?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The Wakefield winger scored a couple of humdingers last night watching on sky yes giving players the cornet flag is a good idea
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

A
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:13 am We complain a lot about crap rules in rugby league but how good was the idea to make the corner flag not in touch

It's true but paradoxically illogical it seems to me. The demarcation lines for the play area is marked by out of play markings ie. dead ball line and touchlines so to speak. A player ,say running down the wing ,inadvertently or otherwise steps on the demarcating line ie.touches it is thereby out of play. A corner flag placed on the intersection of a deadball line and touchlines is logically and necessarily out of play hence the paradoxically illogicality of the good rule change you refer to. To remove the paradox and restore logic,it would be better to follow soccer' rule and declare the "demarcation markings" in play
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The tries where much more exciting when a player had to be skilful enough not to touch the flag while scoring these spectacular tries
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:46 am

The tries where much more exciting when a player had to be skilful enough not to touch the flag while scoring these spectacular tries
I certainly agree that it's more skilful to avoid contactwith the flag when scoring a try in tight situations and avoids the paradox mentioned in my post and also requiring
no rule change neither Meds and probably just as exciting in many cases
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:43 am

And the 40-20 kick we continue with even though the Aussies scrapped it. Does this last bit mean it has been scrapped under international rules?
No they haven't. Where did you get that idea?

The one that should be scrapped is the 20/40, IMO.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I agree 100% that the 40/20 should be scrapped, I've never been able get my head around why a team gets rewarded for making very little progress with ball in hand so boots it down the field and into touch to gain free ground.

The defending team who put in a good initial five tackles then gets penalised for their efforts. In my view there is no justice in this rule. Scrap it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I disagree with that, although I've heard it argued before. But the case for the 20/40 is (even) weaker. A team gets pinned down in their 20 by strong defence, and a kick gets them a get out of jail free card?

It's only less of a talking point because it happens so seldom. It seems like it's not an option players are switched on to.
Last edited by moto748 on Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:46 am

Which you say every time this topic comes up. But if you look at all these diving tries into the corner by wingers, I would argue (and I watch a lot more games than you! :P ) that in the vast majority of cases, the try would have been awarded anyway under the old rules: in other words, the player has grounded the ball before he comes into contact with the corner-flag.