Catalan v Salford Spoiler

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalan v Salford Spoiler

Post by josie andrews »

Super League: Catalans Dragons 14-46 Salford Red Devils

Catalans (8) 14

Tries: Davies 2, Garcia Goals: Drinkwater

Salford (18) 46

Tries: Sneyd, Croft, Watkins 2, Sio, Atkin, Brierley, Cross Goals: Sneyd 5, Brierley 2

Kallum Watkins' two tries in his 250th Super League game moved Salford into the play-off places, with victory away to a faltering Catalans Dragons.

Marc Sneyd, Brodie Croft and Watkins tries gave Salford an 18-8 half-time advantage, sandwiched between England winger Tom Davies' brace of scores.

Watkins' second, plus Ken Sio, Chris Atkin, Ryan Brierley and Deon Cross scores put it beyond reach.

Ben Garcia's try could not stop Salford leapfrogging Castleford into sixth.

The Dragons remain fourth, in the optimum play-off spots within the six, but with five defeats in seven and Leeds hot on their heels.

Last year's Grand Finalists did not help themselves, notably when Samisoni Langi's sin-binning left a short-on-numbers Dragons down for 10 minutes midway though the second 40, and Salford took full advantage with three tries near back-to-back.

They also lost Arthur Mourgue to injury, withdrawn, prompting another reshuffle.

Paul Rowley's Red Devils work on one of the lowest budgets in the division and were not among the sides talked about to challenge the top six among the majority of pundits, but their eye-catching style has brought tries and equally results, with St Helens, Catalans, Castleford and Huddersfield among their recent scalps.

Croft's dazzling solo score, parting the Dragons through the middle, and Sio's try from a trademark Tim Lafai flick were highlights, as was the performance of Watkins in his now-customary back-row role.

The former Leeds centre has already played his way into Shaun Wane's England thoughts in 2022, and using his big frame and back's skill-set, has provided Salford with a useful weapon on the edges.

His experience could be invaluable should Salford cling onto a top six berth in the last three rounds, as will the game management of Sneyd, who kicked five from six off the tee also.

Catalans: Mourgue; Davies, Langi, Whare, Yaha; Drinkwater, May; Napa, McIlorum, Seguier, Garcia, J. Chan, Cozza

Interchanges: Dudson, Da Costa, Goudemand, Le Cam

Salford: Brierley; Sio, Cross, Lafai, Burgess; Croft, Sneyd; Dupree, Ackers, Akauola, Taylor, Watkins, Gerrard

Interchanges: Lannon, Atkin, Ormondroyd, Luckley

Referee: Ben Thaler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62582911
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Catalan v Salford Spoiler

Post by josie andrews »

WoW!!

Well done Salford 👏🏼👏🏼
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Salford could prove a real handful in the playoffs if they can maintain this run of form and steer clear of injuries.
Brodie Croft seems to be finding some consistency and Tim Lafai looks a real handful.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Salford on fire so unpredictable but I wouldn't fancy playing them at the moment
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Shaun1967 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:54 pm Salford could prove a real handful in the playoffs if they can maintain this run of form and steer clear of injuries.
Brodie Croft seems to be finding some consistency and Tim Lafai looks a real handful.
Croft is the best half in the competition.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I don’t think there’s any doubt Salford and Leeds will both be a serious threat in the playoffs but I don’t think Catalan have played well for quite a while to be honest
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cherry toffee wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:18 am I don’t think there’s any doubt Salford and Leeds will both be a serious threat in the playoffs but I don’t think Catalan have played well for quite a while to be honest
With both teams though while very dangerous on their day both sides are just as likely to ship 50 points as score 50,great to watch though as has most of SL this season in fairness as for Catalan I suspect this team peaked at the GF last year and needs a bit of an overhaul again.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Hmm, hopefully we don't have to play Catalan with them needing to win the last game :o
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree with comments on Bodie Croft, the man is sheer quality!

Wouldn't say I have a soft spot for Salford, nice to see Paul Rowley doing well! Like to see former English players developing as coaches (excluding Bennie Westwood if he ever gives up burgers for coaching 😆)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:53 am I agree with comments on Bodie Croft, the man is sheer quality!

Wouldn't say I have a soft spot for Salford, nice to see Paul Rowley doing well! Like to see former English players developing as coaches (excluding Bennie Westwood if he ever gives up burgers for coaching 😆)
I have a soft spot for Salford always have 😊

Think Bennie Westwood’s Burger Van is at Robin Park again on Friday 😊