Warrington Wolves head coach on Toby King's Wigan move

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Warrington Wolves head coach on Toby King's Wigan move

Post by josie andrews »

DARYL Powell has explained why he has sanctioned a loan move to Wigan Warriors for next year for Warrington Wolves centre Toby King.

Having finished this year on loan at Huddersfield Giants, it was confirmed yesterday that King will also spend next season away from The Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The end of June saw a swap deal with the Giants, with Jake Wardle moving to Warrington in exchange for King and making an instant impact by scoring four tries in six appearances.

Powell says talks with Huddersfield about potentially extending Wardle’s stay are “ongoing” and said King was moved on as he wanted to “move in a different direction.”

“Obviously he’s been at Huddersfield and they potentially had the option to extend that, but it wasn’t moving along,” the Wire boss said.

“I just wanted to move in a different direction and Toby needed to play consistently. Sometimes that’s the way things work.

“I want a certain type of centre and to be fair to Toby, there’s no doubt that he’s got a lot of potential but he kind of stalled after he got his contract here last year.

“From the start of the year, I don’t think he’s played his best rugby.

“He moves to Wigan and we’re looking in a different direction – I’m looking for a certain type of centre and I’m not 100 per cent sure where that lies yet.

“Jake’s been class for us so far and we’ll see where that goes down the track.

“That’s ongoing – we’ll wait and see on that.”

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... igan-move/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan