Without Derek Beaumont Leigh would be out of business: Briers on major restructure

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Without Derek Beaumont Leigh would be out of business: Briers on major restructure

Post by josie andrews »

Rather than be favourites for promotion back to Super League, Leigh Centurions would be out of business now had it not been for owner Derek Beaumont.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... structure/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Without Derek Beaumont Leigh would be out of business: Briers on major restructure

Post by morley pie eater »

Briers believes the future of British rugby league is in a 10-team Super League with another 10-team competition below it. And Toulouse, whose relegation has now been confirmed, should be one of those elite 10 teams.

“I would go two 10s. I don’t think we have enough players for 14 teams. "
I've said exactly this over the past few years on a number of threads.

I totally understand fans' dislike of loop fixtures, and the appeal of a 14-team league. But it's the resulting drop in quality that seals the argument, as Briers' rightly says there aren't enough players.

And just think how much more a 2nd tier of (for example)

Hull KR, Wakefield, Leigh, Fev, Halifax, Batley Bradford, Barrow, York, London,

would contribute to player development. Surely a chance of a TV deal for them too?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Re: Without Derek Beaumont Leigh would be out of business: Briers on major restructure

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:35 pm
Briers believes the future of British rugby league is in a 10-team Super League with another 10-team competition below it. And Toulouse, whose relegation has now been confirmed, should be one of those elite 10 teams.

“I would go two 10s. I don’t think we have enough players for 14 teams. "
I've said exactly this over the past few years on a number of threads.

I totally understand fans' dislike of loop fixtures, and the appeal of a 14-team league. But it's the resulting drop in quality that seals the argument, as Briers' rightly says there aren't enough players.

And just think how much more a 2nd tier of (for example)

Hull KR, Wakefield, Leigh, Fev, Halifax, Batley Bradford, Barrow, York, London,

would contribute to player development. Surely a chance of a TV deal for them too?
Is it just me Morley or does there seem even less players this season?

Team after team are struggling to put 17 men squads out week after week,no there isn’t the talent for 14 teams I fear.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well if there aren’t enough players for 14 teams there certainly aren’t enough for 20 so call,it what you like the 2nd tier of 10 teams will be seen in exactly the same way as the lower leagues are now.

Most of the teams in that 10 would also be semi-pro unless a lot more money is found to fund them but if it was and they could be full time where are they going to get their full ti e players from?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:53 pm Well if there aren’t enough players for 14 teams there certainly aren’t enough for 20 so call,it what you like the 2nd tier of 10 teams will be seen in exactly the same way as the lower leagues are now.

Most of the teams in that 10 would also be semi-pro unless a lot more money is found to fund them but if it was and they could be full time where are they going to get their full ti e players from?
Just a fresh lick of paint will be applied I can't see it changing to be honest 14 teams means less money so it'll stay at 12 teams i'd assume