St Helens RLFC injury news after defeat to Wigan Warriors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

St Helens RLFC injury news after defeat to Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

WHILE giving an injury update, Saints head coach Kristian Woolf hinted that there will not be many changes to his squad for Monday’s home clash with Wakefield Trinity.

Checks will need to be done today, Saturday, on the injury situations to Konrad Hurrell (hand) and Alex Walmsley (leg) from the 30-10 loss at Wigan, while surprise absentee against the Warriors, Tommy Makinson, may miss the wakefield game too.

“I know Konrad hurt his hand early on but I don’t know the extent of it just yet. Obviously Alex Walmsley had to come off as well so I’ll figure out where they are up to over the next day or so injury wise,” said Woolf.

I’m not sure if Tommy will be back.

“He trained on Tuesday, pulled up with a swollen knee. We thought that we could probably ease that for him a little bit by the end of the week but he couldn’t get through the captain’s run so he obviously couldn’t play on Friday night.

“He’s had scans on that and there’s nothing sinister there, so it’s just about being able to get full movement back and get rid of the swelling. If we can do that in time he’ll be able to play. If we can’t then we’re not going to take a risk with him.”

As for rotating the squad for a game with a short turnaround – a tactic he employed for the second game of a double weekend earlier in the season – it is unlikely at this stage.

We don’t have a hell of a lot to bring in to be honest,” said Woolf.

“We’ve got a squad of 30. There’s probably a third of them unavailable at the minute and that’s without how we’ve come through Friday night’s game.

“So the plan was we wanted to make sure we got Friday night’s game right, then come in Saturday and see where we’re at injury wise and see what we can put out there for Monday.”

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/207 ... -warriors/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan Watcher

Re: St Helens RLFC injury news after defeat to Wigan Warriors

Post by Wigan Watcher »

It sounds like they are no different or better off than most teams.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

They didn't look a better side on Friday than some other SL sides we've entertained at the DW this year. Considering the field position and possession they enjoyed, you could say their attack was pretty blunt, really. Obviously Makinson and Percival would have improved that.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

All clubs have injury issues at this time of the year I was surprised though how threadbare and blunt saints where the other night,for a club that sky proclaims have huge strength in depth it didn’t look like it to me at least
doc

Post by doc »

Knowles and Sironen both suspended for 1 match so maybe Wakey can have another surprise result then LLS is potentially up for grabs next weekend if we beat HKR tomorrow.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

doc wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:49 am Knowles and Sironen both suspended for 1 match so maybe Wakey can have another surprise result then LLS is potentially up for grabs next weekend if we beat HKR tomorrow.
I don’t see us beating HKR, we are now planning for the semi-final.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But HKR have got half the team out too. I think we have a decent chance, even with kids.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:34 pm But HKR have got half the team out too. I think we have a decent chance, even with kids.
I hope you are right.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:33 am It sounds like they are no different or better off than most teams.
No, no, they are absolute troopers with everything they have to put up with (according to Sky) :D :D
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And what also might be pointed out is that Saints have been undeniably pretty fortunate with injuries in the last couple of seasons, relative to other sides in the comp.