Kristian Woolf explains reasons behind decision to leave St Helens and return to Australia

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Kristian Woolf explains reasons behind decision to leave St Helens and return to Australia

Post by josie andrews »

The Tongan head coach is leaving the Totally Wicked Stadium at the end of this season.

Kristian Woolf admits an opportunity he couldn't turn down back in Australia, coupled with personal factors, were the main drivers behind his decision to leave St Helens. The Saints head coach will return home at the end of the current Super League season, with a deal believed to be in place for him to join new NRL franchise Redcliffe Dolphins as an assistant to Wayne Bennett.

The announcement ends months of speculation over Woolf's future. His future has been under scrutiny for the majority of this season, but his sole focus is now on delivering a third Super League title in as many years during his time in England. The Saints say the process to replace Woolf is well underway.

This has not been an easy decision for myself or my family, but it’s time for us to return home," Woolf admitted. "We made a decision a little while ago due to personal factors that have played their part in our decision. The timing has also combined with an opportunity that has arisen in Australia.

“I have been here for three years and I have loved every minute of it. I love the Club and what it has provided for both me and my family. The fans have been great with me, the passion they show and the way they support the Club is terrific. They have also made my family feel at home and have welcomed us into the community and on behalf of my family I want to thank them for that.

“I also want to pay thanks to the St Helens board, staff and my players. It has been a privilege to work with this exceptional group of men who are all extremely driven and worked so hard to achieve the success they have.

The hardest thing is having to leave an exceptional group who buy into what you want them to do and are great players and people. What I love about them is how they compete and have a relentless attitude every week. That is extremely hard to say goodbye to. This is the same for the staff, who are great people to work with and are all on the same page, working closely together to move in the same direction."

Woolf will remain in England after the Super League season to fulfil his commitments with Tonga at the World Cup, before heading for home. The likes of current Saints assistant Paul Wellens are among the early frontrunners to replace Woolf in 2023.

We understand and fully respect his decision to leave at the end of the season and wish him and his family every happiness and success in their lives back home in Australia," Saints chairman Eamonn McManus said. "He is an exceptional person and coach.

“We are well advanced in the selection process for a replacement head coach for next season and are very confident in the continuing improvement and success of our club in the years ahead.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... t-24897015
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Kristian Woolf explains reasons behind decision to leave St Helens and return to Australia

Post by fozzieskem »

Think we have all been expecting this..is it me or does he leave Saints if not weaker then certainly older than when he took over from Holbrook?
DaveO

Re: Kristian Woolf explains reasons behind decision to leave St Helens and return to Australia

Post by DaveO »

Can’t say he will be missed outside of St. Helens. Never came across as someone willing to give credit to other teams and seemed a bit miserable!
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

It puts Roby’s decision to play on next year into perspective. Imaging them losing both Roby & Woolf at the same time.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:49 pm Can’t say he will be missed outside of St. Helens. Never came across as someone willing to give credit to other teams and seemed a bit miserable!
Yea he never struck me as life and soul of any party to be honest
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Has McManus got a man in place, then? Do we know who?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:46 pm Has McManus got a man in place, then? Do we know who?
Wonder if he dares to give Wellens the job given what happened with Cunningham