Huddersfield Giants boss Ian Watson addresses Salford Red Devils' decision to rest players

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Huddersfield Giants boss Ian Watson addresses Salford Red Devils' decision to rest players

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Watson believes there is an element of former club Salford Red Devils favouring a trip to Huddersfield Giants in their team selection for the final game of the regular season.

Salford head coach Paul Rowley will field an unrecognisable side against Warrington Wolves after his team secured their play-off spot last week.

A defeat at the AJ Bell Stadium would see the Red Devils finish sixth to set up a trip to Huddersfield in an eliminator next Saturday.

There is a sense that Salford are happy to take on all comers in the play-offs, something Watson does not have an issue with.

"I think momentum is really important," said the Huddersfield head coach, who confirmed Ricky Leutele and Tui Lolohea were simply given a breather after withdrawing the pair in the second half against Wakefield Trinity

It's different for different coaches and teams. They're already in the play-offs and I think they've been great.

"They're looking forward to that and are resting a lot of players. It's up to them at the end of the day.

"There's probably going to be a difference between going to Catalans and having so many fans and them coming down the road to take a fair few fans.

"Whoever we play it's going to be a great game. The teams are in there on form and Salford are one of the form teams along with Leeds, and Wakefield who we played tonight.

"They are a top-four squad. I signed a lot of those players and I know what they can do. Now it comes down to the pressure.

"It would be great to see Huddersfield and Salford in the Grand Final. That would be really nice."

The Giants rounded off their play-off preparations with a tense golden-point victory over Wakefield.

Trinity were in control but found themselves up against it after losing Corey Hall and Kelepi Tanginoa either side of half-time.

Wakefield head coach Willie Poching is hoping that Tanginoa's knee injury is not as bad as it first appeared.

"He will have some scans and have a look at it," said Poching.

"He was in a lot of pain and he doesn't show that too often. It’s alarming when players of that nature show the pain, but he was quite optimistic after the game."

After securing their Super League status with games to spare, Wakefield produced another positive performance at the John Smith's Stadium.

"I'm proud of them and the spirit they showed," added Poching, whose side won their previous four games.

"It was tough circumstances there at times - we lost key people, a centre and a back-rower>

Whilst we lost a little tactically, we didn't lose the effort and desire which we have shown pretty much all season.

"The last month or so we have got the rewards for it but we didn't get that tonight. They have worked hard out there.

"Nobody outside of our group thought we would pick up those wins that we did but the character of the team came through."

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... rs-3830096
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Huddersfield Giants boss Ian Watson addresses Salford Red Devils' decision to rest players

Post by jaws1 »

Paul Rowley was in the west stand last night.
morley pie eater

Re: Huddersfield Giants boss Ian Watson addresses Salford Red Devils' decision to rest players

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:37 am Ian Watson believes there is an element of former club Salford Red Devils favouring a trip to Huddersfield Giants in their team selection for the final game of the regular season.

Salford head coach Paul Rowley will field an unrecognisable side against Warrington Wolves after his team secured their play-off spot last week.

A defeat at the AJ Bell Stadium would see the Red Devils finish sixth to set up a trip to Huddersfield in an eliminator next Saturday.

There is a sense that Salford are happy to take on all comers in the play-offs, something Watson does not have an issue with.

"I think momentum is really important," said the Huddersfield head coach, who confirmed Ricky Leutele and Tui Lolohea were simply given a breather after withdrawing the pair in the second half against Wakefield Trinity

It's different for different coaches and teams. They're already in the play-offs and I think they've been great.

"They're looking forward to that and are resting a lot of players. It's up to them at the end of the day.

"There's probably going to be a difference between going to Catalans and having so many fans and them coming down the road to take a fair few fans.

"Whoever we play it's going to be a great game. The teams are in there on form and Salford are one of the form teams along with Leeds, and Wakefield who we played tonight.

"They are a top-four squad. I signed a lot of those players and I know what they can do. Now it comes down to the pressure.

"It would be great to see Huddersfield and Salford in the Grand Final. That would be really nice."

The Giants rounded off their play-off preparations with a tense golden-point victory over Wakefield.

Trinity were in control but found themselves up against it after losing Corey Hall and Kelepi Tanginoa either side of half-time.

Wakefield head coach Willie Poching is hoping that Tanginoa's knee injury is not as bad as it first appeared.

"He will have some scans and have a look at it," said Poching.

"He was in a lot of pain and he doesn't show that too often. It’s alarming when players of that nature show the pain, but he was quite optimistic after the game."

After securing their Super League status with games to spare, Wakefield produced another positive performance at the John Smith's Stadium.

"I'm proud of them and the spirit they showed," added Poching, whose side won their previous four games.

"It was tough circumstances there at times - we lost key people, a centre and a back-rower>

Whilst we lost a little tactically, we didn't lose the effort and desire which we have shown pretty much all season.

"The last month or so we have got the rewards for it but we didn't get that tonight. They have worked hard out there.

"Nobody outside of our group thought we would pick up those wins that we did but the character of the team came through."

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... rs-3830096
That would be really nice - for a half-empty Old Trafford?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Half morley???? Ide say more two thirds or threequarters lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE