'It's not even a penalty': Opponent joins in outcry over Leeds Rhinos ace Rhyse Martin's ban

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

'It's not even a penalty': Opponent joins in outcry over Leeds Rhinos ace Rhyse Martin's ban

Post by josie andrews »

The outcome of Leeds Rhinos star Rhyse Martin’s disciplinary case sparked dismay and anger on social media.

The RFL’s match review panel issued Martin with a one-game penalty notice after charging him with a grade A high tackle on Castleford Tigers’ Alex Mellor during last Saturday’s derby at Headingley.

A disciplinary hearing on Tuesday rejected Martin’s not guilty plea and to rub salt into the player’s - and Rhinos’ - wound, they added an extra match to the ban after deeming his appeal ‘frivolous’.

That means the second-rower will not only miss Friday’s play-off at Catalans Dragons, but also the semi-final if Rhinos get through.

Martin took to Twitter to outline his reaction, saying simply: “I am devastated by this outcome!!”

Replying to Martin’s post, Mellor - who joined Tigers from Rhinos this season - Tweeted: “It’s not even a penalty never mind a ban! Feel for you my mate.”

Among other responses to Martin’s post, the verdict was slammed as “just wrong”, “scandalous”, “ridiculous” and “a joke”.

Others questioned how the appeal could be deemed frivolous after the referee and video official took no action over the incident during the game.

Some supporters even claimed they would not be renewing season tickets or attending World Cup matches because of the disciplinary controversy which has dogged the sport all year.

In a separate Tweet, former Rhinos player and now Sky TV pundit Barrie McDermott stated: “With absolutely no club bias that ban was very harsh, Leeds had a case to appeal… this decision is absolutely ridiculous 3 games in 15 days at the end of the year & a falling player hits the defenders arm, not the other way round, his audacity to question it ends his season!!!”

There was some support for the panel’s ruling.

One Tweeter said: “Does his arm hit his nose? Yes. Did they try and appeal a head shot when they are massively clamping down on it? Yes. The clubs fault no one’s else’s.”

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... an-3834026
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: 'It's not even a penalty': Opponent joins in outcry over Leeds Rhinos ace Rhyse Martin's ban

Post by josie andrews »

Alex Mellor is defending an ex team mate & as Castleford were beaten he obviously still has an affection for Leeds even if he did end up with a broken nose.

Barry McDermot should be keeping his gob shut IMO! He is a commentator on Sky & although it must be very hard for him as he prattles on regardless!

Isn’t he also employed by Leeds in some capacity with their academy or something? So he is bound to "stick up’ for anything to do or is detrimental to the club!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Re: 'It's not even a penalty': Opponent joins in outcry over Leeds Rhinos ace Rhyse Martin's ban

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:42 am Alex Mellor is defending an ex team mate & as Castleford were beaten he obviously still has an affection for Leeds even if he did end up with a broken nose.

Barry McDermot should be keeping his gob shut IMO! He is a commentator on Sky & although it must be very hard for him as he prattles on regardless!

Isn’t he also employed by Leeds in some capacity with their academy or something? So he is bound to "stick up’ for anything to do or is detrimental to the club!
yep, i commented on the post about the disciplinary. Taking club bias aside (played for and works at Leeds), so how can he be giving an unbiased view

i suppose the view re Mellor could be seen either way. As a player do you want an opponent / fellow professional banning for an innocuous challenge like that or as you say he's an ex team mate so defending him. I would hope its the former of the 2 options i mentioned but with all the feigning of injury that has crept in this year, i just dont know any more
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

the pieman wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:04 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:42 am Alex Mellor is defending an ex team mate & as Castleford were beaten he obviously still has an affection for Leeds even if he did end up with a broken nose.

yep, i commented on the post about the disciplinary. Taking club bias aside (played for and works at Leeds), so how can he be giving an unbiased view

i suppose the view re Mellor could be seen either way. As a player do you want an opponent / fellow professional banning for an innocuous challenge like that or as you say he's an ex team mate so defending him. I would hope its the former of the 2 options i mentioned but with all the feigning of injury that has crept in this year, i just dont know any more
But without asking Professor Google how many out there know why Barrie Mac left Wigan?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm

But without asking Professor Google how many out there know why Barrie Mac left Wigan?
Ive read his autobiography ian so i know what happened…… according to barrie himself obviously
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:32 am
ian.birchall wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm

Ive read his autobiography ian so i know what happened…… according to barrie himself obviousyl
Well? What is the reason he gives??
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He threw a can out of his car window driving home along the m62 and it hit jack robinsons car……. Whats the chances of that?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:43 pm He threw a can out of his car window driving home along the m62 and it hit jack robinsons car……. Whats the chances of that?
😂😂 Litter bug!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:43 pm He threw a can out of his car window driving home along the m62 and it hit jack robinsons car……. Whats the chances of that?
That's a really bad thing to do. I support the club. :cry:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:17 pm
That's a really bad thing to do. I support the club. :cry:
I am quite sure that Mick Cassidy has a different idea why he was moved on instantly.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.